Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSalmonThief

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
I have a 2.16GHz 15" MacBook Pro, and have used the latest BootCamp to partition my drive... when I boot from the Windows disc and it finishes loading everything and gets to press Enter for new installation, etc, my MBP's built-in keyboard does not work. When I press caps lock or num lock, no light goes on, etc... same thing when I plug in an external USB keyboard.

Upon further inspection, the keyboard doesn't work starting when the Windows disc is loaded after holding down Option on startup.

Any ideas? :(

Edit: Tried pressing F5 when going into Windows Setup to select i186 Machine or whatever, and while that seemed to not cut power to the keyboard, it froze after it loaded everything at "Setup is starting Windows". Grr. I remember why I got my Mac...

TheSalmonThief

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Ok, I thought it could somehow be because the disc I was using was the backup disc including only SP1 from a past computer... borrowed a retail version of XP Pro SP2 from a friend and tried that, SAME PROBLEM. Keyboard is not responsive at the Install, Repair, Exit Installation menu.

No one else seems to be having this problem... could it possibly be because I don't have the BIOS/EFI update thing? I think I do, unless BootCamp doesn't install it automatically. How can I check; where can I get it? :\

Bunni

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2006
I have problem too ...

Hi Guys.
I have a similar problem to TheSalmonThief in that the function keys don't seem to register when attempting to install WinXP in a Parallels VM. The 'enter' key worked when required, but not F8. Any suggestions?
Regards, B

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Just to be certain, besides the USB keyboard and Power cable is anything else plugged in? A thumb drive or an external hard disk for instance? Coz I remember this one time when I tried to install XP while having my external firewire drive plugged in. It just hung at the "Press 'ENTER' to continue setup" or something like that. Other than that, make sure that you have the latest firmware installed. Just run the software updater I guess. It should be there if you need to update.

TheSalmonThief

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Glen Quagmire said:
Are you using an XP disc with Service Pack 2 included?

Yes. Same problem.

@darkcurse: I may have had some speakers plugged in via audio out, and a USB mouse... perhaps that's the problem? o_0

TheSalmonThief

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
AHA! PROPS TO YOU, DARKCURSE!

After unplugging my Mighty Mouse and speakers for Setup, it worked. Everything went pretty smoothly then, except for the fact that Setup was in German for some reason, but hey, I picked up some vocabulary. "Schneller" means quick! Leasson here? Don't pirate software without reading the description first >_>

...But holy crap, spelling class must be hard on German kids, the word for Administrator was like Administratahermagottenhamgen or something XD

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
ROFLMAO!!!

You're welcome haha. For some strange reason, Windows Setup doesn't like USB/Firewire devices. Glad that was resolved.

Bobby Garcia

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2006
Jersey
Same as BUNNI

I am having the same problem as BUNNI. My enter key works when trying to install paralles, but not my F8.... Can anyone help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.