Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Hi,

I am looking for a cheap but effective way to patch a VHS that only has a SCART and standard RCAs out to my Intel iMac and/or MacBook and into iMovie.

Also, the tapes are in PAL format, but my Macs are from the UK, so that shouldn't present any further issues, should it?

On a related note, I plugged an older Canon DVI camera into my firewire port yesterday for a friend and I was very impressed with the way that iMovie just saw the camera and did the capture, even dividing up each shot as a clip automatically, and then how easy it was to dump the result through iDVD on a disk. Fantastic. Just one more reason I love my Macs.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
An EyeTV box would do the trick. Their hardware is not multi-standard, so you'll have to be careful that you're getting a PAL unit. They sell for about $200 (I didn't bother with a conversion because it probably cost the same in pounds :p ).

jruc4871

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
Washington, DC
The answer is sitting right in front of you...

You can use your digital video camera as an analog->digital converter. Go AV out from your VCR into your camera, then firewire into your Mac. iMovie will be just as easy to use.

Make sure your camera is in "VCR mode" and set to "line" or "AV." Also, i forget which one it is, but with mine, you either have to have a tape in the camera, or you have to have no tape in there.

hope this helps!

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
jruc4871 said:
The answer is sitting right in front of you...

You can use your digital video camera as an analog->digital converter. Go AV out from your VCR into your camera, then firewire into your Mac. iMovie will be just as easy to use.

Make sure your camera is in "VCR mode" and set to "line" or "AV." Also, i forget which one it is, but with mine, you either have to have a tape in the camera, or you have to have no tape in there.

hope this helps!
Yes, on my Canon Optura 10 circa 2002 it's called AV-DV Out. It's an option in the main menu. Buying an EyeTV is not necessary as this will be MUCH more convenient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.