Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I'm on a windows machine, and after installing iTunes 7 (on Windows) I've noticed that in some songs the audio will randomly cut out from stereo and go to mono and will not switch back from my left speaker unless i skip forward in the song (it will then cut out again...). I don't know what's wrong, I looked on Apple Discussions and only found people getting static or no sound period.

I tried doing fixes with altering the frequency levels and stuff in Quicktime as well as repairing and reinstalling iTunes, but no dice. Anyone else having this problem or know how i could try to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated :(

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I have been having a problem w/ iTunes 7 on windows,

the audio will start getting very choppy when i play anything else with audio.

a real pain when i leave iTunes playing in the background!

adothetechy

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
Me1000 said:
the audio will start getting very choppy when i play anything else with audio.

I am getting the same problem. Happens when i run my cursor over menu buttons in iTunes as well. Or browse through cover flow.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
My problem is mostly when i do work in other programs and have iTunes in the background, but even sometimes when it's my top progam it will do it. Luckily it didn't corrupt the files when it analyzed the gapless because if you play the tracks through Quicktime it's fine (i tested a track that was cutting out in both iTunes and Quicktime). Obviously it is the iTunes component itself that is causing the error. Hopefully a fix appears soon.

deambrosejr

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2006
Possible Fix

I was having a similar problem on a WinXP Pro SP2 computer with iTunes 7. Go to Edit->Preferences->Playback. Try turning off Sound Enhancer; you might also try turning off Sound Check and/or Crossfade Playback. Worked for me.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Well i've got a fix but it results in going back to iTunes 6.0.5 if you are interested. A gent posted it on Apple's discussions pages so i'll pass it onto you. It worked great for me.

Note this fix only works for Windows XP :rolleyes:

1. Go to My Documents/ My Music/ iTunes

2. Find a folder called Previous iTunes Libraries. Open this and find the one with the most recent date and copy it to your desktop.

3. Now go ahead and uninstall iTunes. Restart if necessary.

4. Download 6.0.5 from Apple here.
Install 6.05 and your music should be exactly where you left it pre-iTunes 7.

5. While you wait for your download to finish, go back into your iTunes directory from above. Look for the file named "iTunes Library.itl" and copy this name. Then delete that same file. The file that you copied to your desktop, rename it to "iTunes Library.itl" and move it to this iTunes directory.

6. Open iTunes and your library should be just as you left it before you installed iTunes 7.

Link to original guidelines

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.