Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
My new 17" iMac cant seem to sleep well some nights. It seems that is likes to wake up spontaneously. iChat off, iTunes off. No ssh, no web server.

I googled around a bit and only founf one solid match but the guy seems to think its related to his microwave coming on or power issues.

Is anone else having this issue? Any clue on how to get it to sleep.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
What Bluetooth devices do you have, if any? If you have some/any, go to the Bluetooth pane of System Preferences and uncheck Allow Bluetooth Devices To Wake This Computer. :)

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Bluetooth is off. iTunes off. Sharing in iTunes off. Just boot and it wont sleep.

Im going to try and repair permissions.Seems to be a catch all.

Side note: Auy tutorials on makeing things like permission repair automated that you guys can recommend?

wetbaloney

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2006
in a little grass shack
yes -- I'm having the same problem (among others). People at the Apple Store suspect a system board problem, but I just haven't had a chance to bring it down there yet. I am decidedly unimpressed with this new system. Quality control is poor. Came with a keyboad that had some dead keys. What a pain!

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
wetbaloney said:
yes -- I'm having the same problem (among others). People at the Apple Store suspect a system board problem, but I just haven't had a chance to bring it down there yet. I am decidedly unimpressed with this new system. Quality control is poor. Came with a keyboad that had some dead keys. What a pain!

System board problem? WTF. Thats crappy. Lovely.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Maybe try resetting the SMU before getting too worried. Do this by shutting the machine down, pulling out all the cables, leaving it for about ten seconds (maybe a touch more) and then plugging the power cable back in as you hold the power button. Then press the power button again to actually start the machine up and plug all your other cables back in. :)

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Do you have a screen saver on before it goes into sleep?

If so, maybe movements in the mouse are 'resetting' its cycle.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Willis said:
Do you have a screen saver on before it goes into sleep?

If so, maybe movements in the mouse are 'resetting' its cycle.

Well, you are right about the screensaver. After turning it off sleep now works correctly in both the timed sleep and when I manually put it to sleep.

Oh well, no biggie. Glad it wasent the system board.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Just an update for those interested or with the same problem -

Its seems that it still will wake out of sleep on occasion. Happened at 3:44 AM this morning. This actually was the same time that an email came in. Although MAIL isnt running I noticed that it will stil update its dock icon with the number of unread pieces of mail.

Im going to shut this off and see if this can get rid of this lats bit of sleep disorder.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Weird. That's about the same time the machine usually runs its daily maintenance tasks. In the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences, what Wake Options are checked? Did you reset the SMU? :)

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
mad jew said:
Weird. That's about the same time the machine usually runs its daily maintenance tasks. In the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences, what Wake Options are checked? Did you reset the SMU? :)

The only option I see is the "Wake for ethernet network admin access" and that is not checked. I didnt reset the SMU yet. Will try and report back.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
bring it in for a repair. hell you bring it in enough. they may give you a whole new unit.

i would bring it in. hope its fixed. if not bring it in again. if not... then they may give you a core 2 duo replacement.

hell never know

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
mdntcallr said:
bring it in for a repair. hell you bring it in enough. they may give you a whole new unit.

i would bring it in. hope its fixed. if not bring it in again. if not... then they may give you a core 2 duo replacement.

hell never know

WHy should I bring it in for repair? Is it broken? Im not the type of person just to bring something in to be a pain in the rear. IMHO thats being childish and I may risk damaging the unit further with all the travel.

Oh and uhh...it is a CD2. *points to siggy*

Ill reset the SMU and see what happens. *goes to google what the heck the SMU is*

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
I *think* theres a problem with the Mighty Mouse driver that causes it randomly to move to the top-left corner of the screen. This happens occasionally with my (wired) Mighty Mouse. Try unplugging the Mighty Mouse and see if it still happens-but only if you have/use a Mighty Mouse.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
ChrisG said:
I *think* theres a problem with the Mighty Mouse driver that causes it randomly to move to the top-left corner of the screen. This happens occasionally with my (wired) Mighty Mouse. Try unplugging the Mighty Mouse and see if it still happens-but only if you have/use a Mighty Mouse.

Oh oh!! Another clue!! Ill try that also. Awsome!

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Since the mighty mouse test was easy to do I tried that tonight. I unplugged the mouse and let the power management system put her to sleep. The computer went to sleep for about an hour and woke up. :(

Next....resetting the SMU.

I just did it. So far so good. Ill let you know in the morning....

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Update:

Well, I woke up this morning to find that my iMac was already awake.

I think I made a mistake but it may have lead to an interesting clue. After resetting the SMU I happened to notice that the backgroud was set to change every day. Hmmm.....So I turned it off. The background was set to the Apple desktop picture of lightning. After changing that I put it to sleep.

The odd part is that when I woke up and noticed the iMac was up it had a different background.

I put it to sleep again.. then woke it up to find that it had the lightning background again. What the??

Anyway, now that the SMU has been reset I will try it with the mouse unplugged again. I will try repairing permissions before doing this.

Off to work.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I'm having the exact same problem with my 24". This thing is barely a week old... It will not automatically sleep, and it I manually tell it to sleep it wakes up at some point because the sleep light is not flashing the next time I get to the computer. Flashing = asleep, solid light = monitor off but computer awake
This is very frustrating. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Razorhog said:
I'm having the exact same problem with my 24". This thing is barely a week old... It will not automatically sleep, and it I manually tell it to sleep it wakes up at some point because the sleep light is not flashing the next time I get to the computer. Flashing = asleep, solid light = monitor off but computer awake
This is very frustrating. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Razorhog Ill keep posting till its solved.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
mad jew said:
Maybe try resetting the SMU before getting too worried. Do this by shutting the machine down, pulling out all the cables, leaving it for about ten seconds (maybe a touch more) and then plugging the power cable back in as you hold the power button. Then press the power button again to actually start the machine up and plug all your other cables back in. :)

Question: I read on apples support site that this process is correct except that you are not supposed to hold down the power button while plugging it in.

Going to try the Apple way of resetting the SMU tonight..

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Thursday 10/19 Update:

Reset the SMC as per Apple's instructions. Still no go. The dam thing still wakes up.

Im running out of ideas. The only one I can think of is maybe that I have some power fluctuations and its waking the unit up.

So far:

Shut off bluetooth
No screen saver
No switching backgrounds
Shut off Wi Fi
Reset SMC
Unplugged everything from the back of the unit (I will have to do this test again. Im not 100% sure I unplugged the printer.)

I didnt do fsck yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.