Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
When I have my Macbook Pro plugged into the mains, I can feel a small electric charge running through the casing, if I rub the back of my hand across it (particularly to the left and right of the trackpad)... what's worse is when I touch the lower edge of the palm rests with my wrists to type, I get a small shock.

This surely can't be common to MBP's!?

Nearest apple store is a ****ing 3 hour train ride.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
I don't know about anybody else, but my powermac has always done this.

It only makes itself known if I stroke the metal casing - but you can def feel a charge...I thought it was something to do with a Belkin card I put in it, but it happens even if I take it out.

Don't think it's serious - but I don't know. Anyone?

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
Well Apple 'Thinks Different' so maybe this was one of those 'Don't let yourself fall asleep while studying for an exam' type feature. :p

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
i remember reading about this somewhere else. you should call apple about it.

macjay

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2003
The aluminum casing conducts electricity. I've felt the electric current and been lightly "shocked" many times while playing with the alu PB's and MBP's at the store.

I have also felt mini electric shocks from the aluminum trackpad on my iBook.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
It's because you are not using the 3-Prong power cord.

The issue is with the power that you are connected to. Try using the 3-prong power cable, or try reversing the power plug in the wall. (Flip it over)

It happens with the power coming into the house isn't very clean. This happens to me every time we go to our beach house. The house isn't grounded, and the power is very dirty.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
My 12" PowerBook used to shock me to all hell. Sometimes I would be typing on it and my girlfriend and would come say and when she put her hand on my back she'd feel the charge! To be honest it freaked us both out. So I recently got my MBP and was rather depressed to find that there is the same bit of electricity flow on it. It is considerably less, but we can both feel that there is a distinct current. It's really annoying.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
When I have my Macbook Pro plugged into the mains, I can feel a small electric charge running through the casing, if I rub the back of my hand across it (particularly to the left and right of the trackpad)... what's worse is when I touch the lower edge of the palm rests with my wrists to type, I get a small shock.

It happens for me as well. I kind of like the buzz but it's just another one of the little engineering problems the MBP has.

jrea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
It's because you are not using the 3-Prong power cord.

The issue is with the power that you are connected to. Try using the 3-prong power cable, or try reversing the power plug in the wall. (Flip it over)

It happens with the power coming into the house isn't very clean. This happens to me every time we go to our beach house. The house isn't grounded, and the power is very dirty.

!

I'm in the UK, so all of our plugs have a ground pin as standard, HOWEVER, I wasn't using the extension cord that came with the power adapter (I was just using the plug). Swapping to the cord has got rid of the problem. Much better.

Thanks a lot.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
!

I'm in the UK, so all of our plugs have a ground pin as standard, HOWEVER, I wasn't using the extension cord that came with the power adapter (I was just using the plug). Swapping to the cord has got rid of the problem. Much better.

Thanks a lot.

I'm happy to have helped. Being that attaching the grounded cord corrected the problem, that means that your house is grounded correctly. The bad news is that it also means that you "dirty power" in the walls. You may want to invest in a Battery Backup with "AVR". This will help prolong the life of your Macbook Pro.

kalun

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006

L2ElectroStaticDischarge!!!:p

but seriously tho, If I were you, I will phone apple. Well...or buy rubber gloves.....:D

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
This could be just static electricity. I have the anti-static mat near my computer desk to prevent the static electricity. It works. In the past, when I walk into my place and after a few steps over the carpet (on which computer desks are positioned) with shoes off (and socks on), one or two of my Macs wakes up from sleep because of the static electricity.
Now with this mat (I had to buy it online as this is a specialty mat), it has not happened since then.
Also, using the 3-prong plug would be a good idea as the previous poster mentioned. Actually, I am going to use that with my MBP.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
It comes down to bad grounding in the laptop. Call Apple. Tell them you are getting shocked by your laptop. They will replace it or repair it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.