Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Encanto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
First of all, I would like to thank everyone for being supported and very patience with newbies like me. I have used windows ever since 3.1 and now that I have made the chane I have realized that I have been missing out in many great things. Anyways, you see I am a DJ and used to use DJ software over on the darkside but now that I own a MBP I have no idea what DJ programs are available for Macs. Is there anyone who would gladly point me to the righ directions in finding a Dj Mixing software? Again, thank you for your time.

PS: I love my mac!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Traktor DJ Studio
Not cheap but good, just getting to grips with it myself. New version (3.2) just out.

Mac users unfortunately don't have much choice other than Traktor for serious DJing that requires beat matching. That's not a bad only choice though and it's my personal favorite among all the programs since it's the best for looping, cueing and making mixed CDs. If you are turned off by the prices to get to the higher-end DJ programs, VirtualDJ and MixVibes both have more limited versions available at a cheaper price

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/dj-software.ars

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Traktor DJ Studio
Not cheap but good, just getting to grips with it myself. New version (3.2) just out.

"Mac users unfortunately don't have much choice other than Traktor for serious DJing that requires beat matching."

I haven't read the whole review, but that quote is just wrong. Ableton Live can analyze and beatmatch tracks automatically, and I find it to be much more powerful and flexible than Traktor. Lots of "big name" DJs are using Live in the clubs these days.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I haven't read the whole review, but that quote is just wrong. Ableton Live can analyze and beatmatch tracks automatically, and I find it to be much more powerful and flexible than Traktor. Lots of "big name" DJs are using Live in the clubs these days.

Ableton Live was left out of the article as it wasn't considered a traditional vinyl-emulating DJing app. If you read the forum discussion then you'll see why. I'm not going to argue with it as I've never used Ableton but judging from many of the comments, it was felt that Ableton was great if you had the time to set up things beforehand or in the case of Sasha as quoted below: 'He has a team of people working in an office to chop up and beatmap tracks he receives.'

And as the article is focused on people new to mixing, paying 500 euros for Live is not exactly for an app that is more geared towards producers playing out (I know it well - my roommate and all my producer friends use it), it's more of a set-it-up before and go type thing. I considered putting it in but the price, feature set, UI and learning curve make it obviously geared towards producers, not mp3 mixers.

While I don't really consider Ableton Live a DJ application right now, it is being used by alot of DJs and would probably have made a good addition to this article. The problem with AL is it's not as conducive to the kind of free-form DJing most of us are used to. The lack of a decent browser makes AL clunky for DJ use, and the "preproduction" involved in order to get the music to work together (setting your warp markers, etc) is a pain. Generally, you only see "destination DJs" using Ableton Live. These are headliner DJs that play a pre-planned set and have a built in audience. The other major use of AL for DJs is to add additional production over a more traditionally constructed set (with turntables/CDJs). This gives those DJs the best of both worlds. I have no doubt that the next version of Ableton Live will either see a slew of new DJ oriented features, or a development branch with a version geared towards DJs.

Ableton Live is a cool program, but you *have* to invest in a swank (often $300 or higher) midi controller or it's worthless. Plus, you get to say "hey mr promoter, I use Ableton, can we unhook every line on the DJ mixer that's up there and hook mine up?" if you're running a Xone or something. Not a way to make friends.

Ableton (or any sequencer) vs. Traktor (or any vinyl-style DJing app) is pretty easy to sum up, in my opinion.

If you want to pre-setup all of your tracks, split them into loops, beatmap them, etc, then Ableton gives enormously more creativity. If you want to mix together random sets of stuff you may or may not have had time to set up in the past, then Ableton is, in my (moderately experienced) opinion, basically useless.

I have seen Sasha DJ live several times using Ableton, and I was privileged enough to watch him play a 7-hour set at The Key in London in July in front of about 300 people, where I was conveniently stood 6 feet from The Man Like, and (while thoroughly enjoying myself) had a very good look at his setup and how it works. I've also seen James Zabiela use Ableton in an entirely different way, using it primarily as a very smart sampler and sequencer, to play parts of his own tunes, acappellas etc. Both of these DJs still regularly use CDJs, and in some cases Vinyl (although less and less). Sasha claims that using Ableton is simply an awful lot of hard work, because he works almost entirely with sets of loops chopped out of tracks, as opposed to the entire tracks themselves. He has a team of people working in an office to chop up and beatmap tracks he receives, and his Ableton Live Sets are scarily busy-looking affairs, usually spreading hundreds of loops and samples over 6-8 channels. Sasha uses the CDJs in long sets as a means of having a period of slightly easier track selection to give himself a rest, although for his set at The Key was performed entirely on Ableton as far as I could see.

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/174096756/m/340006001831?r=340006001831

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
...judging from many of the comments, it was felt that Ableton was great if you had the time to set up things beforehand or in the case of Sasha as quoted below: 'He has a team of people working in an office to chop up and beatmap tracks he receives.'

Hmmm, I guess I'm just a super musical genius... I do it all by myself. And I don't even have a swank $300+ midi controller. :p

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Maybe some people need to set Ableton up before hand, but not everyone.

As long as you have tracks or clips that you know aren't drastically different BPMs then they'll warp and match up fine.

The only prep work I'd do is label the tracks as name110BpM so I know the speed when I'm browsing, other than that everything is real time. And I find Traktor to be way less intuitive, and borderline frustrating but I feel that way about the majority of Native Instrument products.

Encanto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
I want to thank everyone who has reply to my posting. I will check out ableton and see if it meets my needs. Again, thank you very much. Oh and a personal note: I love my Mac and those who claim that Macs suck are simply jealous beause they can't afford the BEST.

Derwood

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2005
DJay

http://www.algoriddim.net/

If you're not looking for something pro-level then you could do a lot worse than to check out this little chap. Have used it on a number of occasions with an M-Audio stereo interface and really like it. Suits my needs anyway. Have heard claims it can be a little glitchy but not so far in my experience.

Now, before it is that I get lambasted for suggesting a bit of freeware ;) have a peek at the feature set. I think they could quite easily pitch this at a price point that would dent some of the lower-end, commercially available DJ solutions.

Anyone else used it?

Derwood

Retired
May 16, 2006
http://www.algoriddim.net/

If you're not looking for something pro-level then you could do a lot worse than to check out this little chap. Have used it on a number of occasions with an M-Audio stereo interface and really like it. Suits my needs anyway. Have heard claims it can be a little glitchy but not so far in my experience.

Now, before it is that I get lambasted for suggesting a bit of freeware ;) have a peek at the feature set. I think they could quite easily pitch this at a price point that would dent some of the lower-end, commercially available DJ solutions.

Anyone else used it?

Derwood

Yes, I liked it, but then again, I'm not a DJ. Its great for people like me: people who have no idea what they're doing. If it is your work, I would try it out, but think that one of the commercial/shareware apps is worth it.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
USB Controller?

I'd like to open this up again and ask if anyone has tried using any USB controllers with djay?

What I mean by a USB controller is something like the Hercules

djay does exactly what I want - it's nice, and it's simple.. i dont need the fancy bells and whistles to mix.. so this freeware app is perfect.. but i'd like to be able to use a physical controller instead of using the mouse/keyboard..

anyone advise please?

Thanks

RockMancuso

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2007
If any of you are using decks then Serato Scratch Live works great on the mac, although it's already been listed. Just giving another recommendation.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
So here's my deal..

Last week I sold all of my DJ equipment.. 1210's, cdj's, rane mixer, all my separates, speakers etc..

I'm now on the drive to find a cheap solution which leaves a small footprint and allows me to use my macbook to either stream over iTunes shared library or direct access to networked drive..

I was thinking of Serate Scratch, and buy some cheapo cdjs (numark maybe?), but that means, I would then have to get a mixer + 2 x cdj's, which is still a large footprint..

So here comes the idea of using simple dj software, which allows for using a simple usb controller to similuate 2 decks and a mixer (a la hercules styleee)..

The free software - djay - seems perfect for me.. simple interface, with simple controls.. basically.. the simplest setup.. but it seems a bit tedious to mix using the mouse/keyboard.. still want a bit more realistic approach, so I'm asking if anyone has tried using djay with any sort of usb controller to simulate mixing.. and if so, which one? And are they Mac compatible etc..

Any comments/suggestions to my solution are more than welcome.

Thanks

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
huh? did you not see my post above? I mention djay, but am looking for an actual usb controller to work with the software (if possible)..

do you know any?

I'd say in your situation that Traktor 3 LE is a good bet if you want to be limited to the two decks metaphor.

You could probably get a USB controller with that sotware bundled too for a saving.

If you planning delve a little deeper then I'd still recommend Ableton Live (you don't need a team of warpers to get on top of your tunes either !!). Again you can get Liv Lite bundled with a USB controller (like a UC33 or an xsession).

There is also M-audios new Torq software that you could consider.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
just found this vestax controller bundled with traktor 3 le..

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR217936

anyone used it or care to comment on it?

plus, its fully mac compaitble, although it does state:

"(cpu accelerator cards not supported)"

what does that mean? i have a macbook 2.0ghz with 1.5gb ram.. i dont think it has a cpu accelerator tho.. lol!

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I'd say that was very expensive. Also HTFR are a bit shady.

It depends on budget but this looks good for 230 quid:
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/13573

Not bus powered but other than that....

230 sounds a very good price..

unfortunately, the Behringer isn't Mac compatible:
"***Please note this unit is not Mac compatible, Behringer plan to release some driver around the 4th Quarter"

and the traktor 3 is not a UB.. although i believe that 3.2.2 is a UB..

but the biggie is that the controller is not mac compatible..

any other recommendations emotion

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
230 sounds a very good price..

unfortunately, the Behringer isn't Mac compatible:
"***Please note this unit is not Mac compatible, Behringer plan to release some driver around the 4th Quarter"

and the traktor 3 is not a UB.. although i believe that 3.2.2 is a UB..

but the biggie is that the controller is not mac compatible..

any other recommendations emotion

The controller is class compliant so I'm sure it is actually macosx compatible. As you say the latest version of traktor is UB too.

However this is even cheaper with LE:

http://www.behringer.com/BCD3000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Or just get Ableton Live and a bcr2000 or a evolution uc33e.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
The controller is class compliant so I'm sure it is actually macosx compatible. As you say the latest version of traktor is UB too.

However this is even cheaper with LE:

http://www.behringer.com/BCD3000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Or just get Ableton Live and a bcr2000 or a evolution uc33e.

now that looks just the ticket! BCD3000 coming in a few months...

will ask around some shops to see how well the 2000 works with macs..

thanks for all your input mate.

okayjustin

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
SF bay area
help please!

i'm looking for an entry level / intermediate (just so it doesn't get boring) level dj mixing software that's good .. i'm not sure what i should purchase along with it. any suggestions? i've seen that i need a controller or something (i'm still new to all of it) i'm not looking to spend more than 300 all together. i want to add my own beats behind these mixes as well though.. as well as being able to control all the fading and controls whatever externally ..

qsoundrich

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2007
Bumping an old thread, but that system shown above is supposed to be available in the US in a few months. If anyone East of the Atlantic has this and can make a report on it, that would be great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.