Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
So i accidently broke my current router, D-link 614+ Rev. A; and i am in the market for a new router. Does anyone know any good ones? My old one worked fine except on my powerbook, if i disconnected airport, than tried to connect, it wouldn't. However, if i left airport on (disconnected) and restarted my computer, it would pick up my wireless signal. I don't know why it was like this, but it was. :eek:

Anyways, I was wondering if you guys had suggestions as to what is the best brand that usually works with two windows computers and one apple computer?

My price range is as low as i can get! :eek:

If it helps, i have DSL with a download speed of 1.5Mbps :)

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
I prefer to use Belkin routers because they are easy to setup and come with a lifetime warranty. I know all the rest are easy to setup but none of them come the warranty. I currently have 2 pc's and 2 mac's on it and never had any problems with this one. But I did have one that broke and went through all of the basic and finally they upgraded me to a new one free of charge..:D with nothing out of my pocket..

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
I prefer to use Belkin routers because they are easy to setup and come with a lifetime warranty. I know all the rest are easy to setup but none of them come the warranty. I currently have 2 pc's and 2 mac's on it and never had any problems with this one. But I did have one that broke and went through all of the basic and finally they upgraded me to a new one free of charge..:D with nothing out of my pocket..

yeah i was thinking about this one.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat25300050001&id=1099392876098

only thing is, even though i had some problems with my d-link, everytime i've called them for support, they were awsome to work with! and i'm wondering if Belkin will be as good? have you ever had to call or anything for support? :eek:

i prefer using bestbuy cause i got a $10 off voucher good online, so i feel might as well take use of the offer! :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat25300050001&id=1099392876098

only thing is, even though i had some problems with my d-link, everytime i've called them for support, they were awsome to work with! and i'm wondering if Belkin will be as good? have you ever had to call or anything for support? :eek:

i prefer using bestbuy cause i got a $10 off voucher good online, so i feel might as well take use of the offer! :)

I suggest to get Buffalo WHR G54S.
It's the best router around. It has capable hardware inside not like some "striped down" for cost reasons routers by Linksys or D-Link.

Good thing about Buffalo WHR G54S is that it works right out of the box. You won't have any issues with it.
But if in future you need more functionality you can download open source firmware for it. Because of it's good hardware design this router is number one choice for third parties softwares.

Even if you don't have plans using firmwares with many additional features like DD-WRT in future it is still a good choice for it's simplicity and robustness out of the box. And it's still "nice" to know that it is so expandable :)

There are some reviews:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16833162173
http://www.laptopmag.com/Review/Buffalo-125-High-Speed+Mode-Wireless-Smart-Router-WHR-G54S.htm

I should get some commission from Buffalo :)

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL

To answer you question yes I did have to call them and didn't like speaking to someone that barely speaks english but they were able to fix my problem and send me a New router. I did call them back and did get someone better. So that's what happened to me. Other then that I can't complain :cool:

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL

Oh that is the same router I have. Very easy to setup. Good luck on your purchase

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
I suggest to get Buffalo WHR G54S.
It's the best router around. It has capable hardware inside not like some "striped down" for cost reasons routers by Linksys or D-Link.

Good thing about Buffalo WHR G54S is that it works right out of the box. You won't have any issues with it.
But if in future you need more functionality you can download open source firmware for it. Because of it's good hardware design this router is number one choice for third parties softwares.

Even if you don't have plans using firmwares with many additional features like DD-WRT in future it is still a good choice for it's simplicity and robustness out of the box. And it's still "nice" to know that it is so expandable :)

There are some reviews:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16833162173
http://www.laptopmag.com/Review/Buffalo-125-High-Speed+Mode-Wireless-Smart-Router-WHR-G54S.htm

I should get some commission from Buffalo :)

I agree with you but the OP wanted a cheap one. Buffalo does make GREAT Routers and AP's but the price is very high

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
hey takemore i decided to take your advice! after reading the newegg reviews/comments on some routers i was deciding, people seemed most pleased with the one you pointed out!

I purchased it for $38 from bestbuy after a promational offer and a 10% sale, so i think i got a pretty descent deal on it (typical price for routers...) I only hope that if i ever need to call tech support, they will help me out! As much as i hate the outsourcing that d-link did with my old router, everytime i called tech support, they did w.e. to help get the problem resolved. :eek:

But thanks... will give a update on it tommarow to see if i truly can get it up in under 1/2 hr (it took me some time the first time setting up my router...) :eek:

hey takemore i decided to take your advice! after reading the newegg reviews/comments on some routers i was deciding, people seemed most pleased with the one you pointed out!

I purchased it for $38 from bestbuy after a promational offer and a 10% sale, so i think i got a pretty descent deal on it (typical price for routers...) I only hope that if i ever need to call tech support, they will help me out! As much as i hate the outsourcing that d-link did with my old router, everytime i called tech support, they did w.e. to help get the problem resolved. :eek:
Good choice and good deal. I'm sure you won't regret it. Please, do share with us your experience after you receive it. Any plans to flash in Linux in future?

thestaton

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
I had a 50 dollar Belkin for a year and it was great when I had it on a dsl network with moderate usage.

Recently, I changed houses - got cable and got an extra roommate so the usage went from moderate to high traffic all via 802G.

The latency / response times to page requests went up so that it was not bothersome but noticeable. And It seemed a couple times a week I had to turn it off then turn it back on so that it would work again.

Frustrated I bought a used Airport Extreme on eBay and love this little sucker. The latency response time is back to good, and the big thing no more resetting the router.

With that said I've also owned several linksys routers and would rate them below Belkin and way below the AP Extreme.

txcoast

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2006
Just heard from my daughter and she is switching to DSL sometime next week.
Her daughter has a Macbook - 2gig and she has a Dell:mad: The DSL people told her that her daughter could connect wirelessly. Will she need something more than the equipment the DSL company sends? I am clueless on this and the Macbook is the first Mac they have owned.
Thanks for your help.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
argh! well i installed the router and it seems to work, except on my powerbook. :mad:

i get the same problem as i did with my d-link! when i try to select the name "buffalo" from the airport menu, and than type in the password, it says it is unable to connect to "buffalo" (the name i guess of the network). :(

on the phone with tech support now, it says estimated wait is 15 minutes (kinda lenghty), but hopefully they're helpful!

EDIT: Sweeeet it works! More importantly, it works like it should! tech support was also very freiendly and nice!!! deffinetly glad i purchased this product over the couple others i was thinking.

hey livemore: I don't really know what those feature are, the dd-wrt and such! =( I'm probally going to read some of the info on it from the online manual... cause i kind of want to know what this AOSS thing is, as well as the diff between a bridge and router and all that! kind of curious... so yea i don't think i'll be reflashing it to any new software anytime soon! lol

Sweeeet it works! More importantly, it works like it should! tech support was also very freiendly and nice!!! deffinetly glad i purchased this product over the couple others i was thinking.

hey livemore:

Hey, I'm glad that you like the router. And I like the way you mistyped my nick. I take it as a good wish for me :)

Regarding trying Linux sw - there is really no point to do it if you are happy with current functionality. But in future you might need more. Like in my case:

My son back in Russia uses ADSL. Unfortunately in that small town he is billed by downloaded traffic. And he has a friend with a computer. So what Buffalo is going to do for me - allow both of them to play in local network. Allow only my son access outside internet. By special command via terminal it'll allow access to Internet from his friend PC for one hour only. Also Buffalo will count traffic of downloads from Internet per each Mac address and send reports to my email every day :)
All that is possible with Linux sw. It's like having one more PC on your network where you can login via bash and have shell scripts, awk, cron etc

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
I'm using a D-Link DIR-625 Platinum Rangebooster N. I bought every router Best Buy sells, and this one outperformed them all. I took all the others back the next day. Easy setup, very good interface at 192.168.0.1, and by far the best wireless coverage of any product I tried.

Tarkovsky

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2007
London/Norwich
I use the lynksys router and it even functions with airport as a WDS! Sweet. Acessing either router from either SSID I can get hold of the internet, printer or downstairs speakers! Signal strength is nice too.

I use the lynksys router and it even functions with airport as a WDS! Sweet. Acessing either router from either SSID I can get hold of the internet, printer or downstairs speakers! Signal strength is nice too.

If you need WDS then you can have it with Buffalo as well.. And I agree with you that Linksys used to produce quite decent routers. But their "passion" to cut down cost (keeping the same price for consumers) brought them to the point that I'd NEVER recommend Linksys router.
Look here: http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47124
They sell WRT 54G router (same model) starting from version 1.0 till 5.0 (at least till 5.0 in that table). But in version 1.0 they used Ram 16MB and Flash 4MB. In their version 5.0 there is only 8MB of Ram and 2MB of Flash. Which is NOT enought for Linux SW. There is stripped down version of DD-WRT which can fit in 2MB but lack of Ram prevents it from doing its job decently. I've tried it.

And linksys doesn't tell consumers about it. They didn't even change the model number. Unfortunately what is available in the area where I live (Singapore) I can get only version 5.0

So going Buffalo is the right way. You get a decent hardware which means you are safe even if in future your needs grow or change.

djs9699

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2006
Philadelphia
I have a D-Link 614+ and it has been less that stellar - response to page request is horrible and also having trouble with my Roku M1000 connecting to my iMac music library upstairs. Leaving price aside at the moment, how do these non-Apple routers compare to Airport Extreme? The Buffalo WHR G54S sounds good, but I want as few problems as possible and may be willing to pay extra.

Thanks!

Forgott to mention that I don't have any PCs, just three iMacs and a MBP.

I have a D-Link 614+ and it has been less that stellar - response to page request is horrible and also having trouble with my Roku M1000 connecting to my iMac music library upstairs. Leaving price aside at the moment, how do these non-Apple routers compare to Airport Extreme? The Buffalo WHR G54S sounds good, but I want as few problems as possible and may be willing to pay extra.

Thanks!

Forgott to mention that I don't have any PCs, just three iMacs and a MBP.
Sorry I can't compare any router to Airport Extreme since I've never dealt with AE. The only thing I can recommend to buy a Buffalo and if problems arise to invite a knowledgeable guy for some extra pay :D Though I really doubt that you need this kinda advice :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.