Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJDevils44

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
Hi there,

I live in Canada, and I LOVE the iPhone. However, I noticed a few things. For one, Steve mentioned nothing of when the phone would be available in Canada, if ever, and I don't believe Canada has Cingular as a wireless network. Please don't tell me this means no iPhone in Canada. Also, due to the fact that there is no movie/TV show download available for the Canadian iTunes store, will the Apple TV be sold here?

Thanks

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Also, due to the fact that there is no movie/TV show download available for the Canadian iTunes store, will the Apple TV be sold here?

Thanks

The Apple TV is available on Apple.ca
Not sure when/if we'll get tv & movie downloads though. As for the iPhone it'll "probably" (read: I'm guessing and no real information) come out on rogers as they were the only ones with the motorola rockr to my knowledge. As for when.... no one knows.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
yeah I imagine Rogers getting the iPhone. Im on Telus though *sigh* oh well, 30% off my bill > iPhone....

The appleTV is a bit steep. over $400 after tax. I can plug my laptop into my tv and do the same thing ;)

colinmack

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
Not interested in the Apple TV (unless they snuck a PVR in there while nobody was looking, and start offering TV show downloads in Canada), but if the iPhone shows up here they'll certainly get more of my money...

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
iTV streams media from your computer so you could use it in Canada. Speak to your rulers about TV shows on iTunes. The CBC owns distribution rights to TV in Canada. I do not really know what keeps movies from being sold outside the U.S. but I assume it is something along the same lines.

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
I'm not interested in the iPhone, although I'm sure that will change in the years ahead. To be honest, I'm more excited about how the technologies demonstrateed will roll out through the rest of the Apple line in the month/years to come. I can afford to be patient, but my sympathies to those who need a phone and/or an iPod right now.

I had hoped the tv would offer more capability, i.e. an iPod dock, as well as camera card input with a central iPhoto library, etc. But maybe I would be happier with a Mac Mini as a media hub.

I don't believe it's Apple's fault that I can't buy Lost episodes to watch on the subway either. But I sure as heck wish SOMEBODY would say if/when the iTunes store will EVER offer movies or TV shows. I'll even write my MP/MPP to protest CanCon/broadcast restrictions that are holding things up. Just tell us something!!

(okay, I'm done)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
wow... is your name mark by chance? only other devils fan i know of in canada!

rogers is confirmed to be the provider. at least what i heard through an unofficial source.

itv is appealing althought a bit costly. i don't have a pvr and it would be great to record movies to my mac through my digital converter and then output the file wirelessly to my tv, which is in another room. but i'm not sure if it's worth that price.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Every carrier here is GSM, Telstra has a little CDMA but that's being phased out.

If the iPhone takes off and starts making money I can see all the carriers lining up to do whatever it takes to get the iPhone onto their networks (which offer basically the same coverage as each other seeing as the majority of the infrastructure is shared). That's the difference here, the carriers will do anything to make a buck so changing their network setup to support the visual voice mail won't be a problem for any of them.

That's the great thing, there are a lot of carriers here (most of them MVNO) that the competition is so high they'll do whatever it takes to make money at the expense of another. Problem is when that competition is spread across only 20 million people everything is inherently expensive anyway.

But still, not one of them would even consider a suicide move like charging people to receive calls - that's just highway robbery and they'd probably be out of business in less time than it takes to say "highway robbery."

adamyoshida

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
iTV streams media from your computer so you could use it in Canada. Speak to your rulers about TV shows on iTunes. The CBC owns distribution rights to TV in Canada. I do not really know what keeps movies from being sold outside the U.S. but I assume it is something along the same lines.

As much as I hate the CBC and wish to see it abolished and the money it steals from taxpayers returned to me, this isn't the case.

The various licensees hold the rights to US TV shows - IE CTV and CanWest/Global, mostly.

For some strange reason, they've yet to do a deal. There seems to be no hurry - even though it restricts those of us who own Video iPods in Canada to acquiring television shows through... secondary channels.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Not that anyone will really believe me, but a friend of mine works at Rogers in customer service and said that they got a memo about the iPhone (or was told about) and that it IS coming to Rogers (which everyone knew) by Christmas for sure, but hopefully by September. Apparently, the prices won't be much higher than the US versions (just currency conversion I guess) and that they aren't allowed to subsidize the cost of the phone relative to your contract (ie you won't save more by signing a longer contract) as is customary with most phones but that my friend was under the impression that with a fair amount of "complaining" or whatever you could receive some free months or service or something. I guess that's about it and things could change in the next like 7 months.

Xyl

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
Not that anyone will really believe me, but a friend of mine works at Rogers in customer service and said that they got a memo about the iPhone (or was told about) and that it IS coming to Rogers (which everyone knew) by Christmas for sure, but hopefully by September. Apparently, the prices won't be much higher than the US versions (just currency conversion I guess) and that they aren't allowed to subsidize the cost of the phone relative to your contract (ie you won't save more by signing a longer contract) as is customary with most phones but that my friend was under the impression that with a fair amount of "complaining" or whatever you could receive some free months or service or something. I guess that's about it and things could change in the next like 7 months.

I believe you. I'm making myself believe you. :D

dansgil

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The only problem I see with the iPhone through Rogers is that their current data plans suck:

$15/month - 1.5 MB
$25/month - 3 MB
$40/month - 7 MB
$60/month - 25 MB
$100/month - 200 MB.

With Cingular's Smartphone Connect plan, you get unlimited data for only $20/month.

Very few people would be willing to pay $100/month for 200 MB of data.

rowanmwilliams

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Anything in Canada? Everything in Canada!

I live in Australia myself and have always wanted to beable to download the new video content form the US iTunes store and on the + side be able to catch the latest eisodes of my favourite tv shows before the previous season has even been aired on aussie tv. This is posible thorugh the magical powers of the internet and PayPal, i have simply bought paypal money off ebay and then used that to buy content off the US iTunes and download it directly to my computer in Australia without leaving my seat. So in conclusion :apple: tv will be a great addition to my home enetertainment system (goodby dvd player) as anyone in the world can buy content from the us itunes using a us paypal account.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
As much as I hate the CBC and wish to see it abolished and the money it steals from taxpayers returned to me, this isn't the case.

The various licensees hold the rights to US TV shows - IE CTV and CanWest/Global, mostly.

For some strange reason, they've yet to do a deal. There seems to be no hurry - even though it restricts those of us who own Video iPods in Canada to acquiring television shows through... secondary channels.

:eek: how can anyone hate the CBC? They're amongst the best news organizations in the world and promote canadian-made television and radio. If anything I'd pay more to get the CBC back to where it used to be.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
:eek: how can anyone hate the CBC? They're amongst the best news organizations in the world and promote canadian-made television and radio. If anything I'd pay more to get the CBC back to where it used to be.

I was there in 04/05 (the hockey lockout winter) and the only channel we could get up at Lake Louise on our makeshift antenna was the CBC. Basically it was:

-Curling

-Figure Skating

-The Red Green Show

-Reruns of Royal Canadian Air Farce (made recent aussie sketch comedy shows look good)

-Reruns of This Hour has 22 Minutes (without Rick Mercer so not funny)

-News

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
I was there in 04/05 (the hockey lockout winter) and the only channel we could get up at Lake Louise on our makeshift antenna was the CBC. Basically it was:

-Curling

-Figure Skating

-The Red Green Show

-Reruns of Royal Canadian Air Farce (made recent aussie sketch comedy shows look good)

-Reruns of This Hour has 22 Minutes (without Rick Mercer so not funny)

-News

It's the various CBC radio stations that makes keeping it really worthwhile. They are so far ahead of every other radio station, it's not even funny.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Not interested in the Apple TV (unless they snuck a PVR in there while nobody was looking, and start offering TV show downloads in Canada), but if the iPhone shows up here they'll certainly get more of my money...
Seconded, however due to the current model of selling TV shows and movies online I think it's fairly unlikely that a PVR option will come out. :(

The :apple: TV may still have it's uses (if we are somehow able to rip our DVD's and have them playable through the :apple: TV interface), but even if the iTunes store did offer TV shows and movies online I'm not really thrilled to hear that they are almost DVD quality... offer them at DVD quality and I might open up my wallet.

The only problem I see with the iPhone through Rogers is that their current data plans suck:

$15/month - 1.5 MB
$25/month - 3 MB
$40/month - 7 MB
$60/month - 25 MB
$100/month - 200 MB.

With Cingular's Smartphone Connect plan, you get unlimited data for only $20/month.

Very few people would be willing to pay $100/month for 200 MB of data.
Aren't those prices for data over the GSM network? If I understand correctly the iPhone will have b/g Wi-Fi and can connect to networks using regular Wi-Fi protocol. ...please tell me I'm right, cause there's no way I'd pay that much for internet on my phone!

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Sorry for my cellphone n00bishness, but what is newer? CDMA or GSM? TELUS Mobility, my carrier, told me that CDMA is the newer and better technology. Is this BS?

CDMA and GSM are same level of technology. GSM is a global standard, whereas CDMA is a Digital extension of the old Analog TDMA standard. (i.e. GSM is Mac and CDMA is Windows.) Outside of the US, Canada, and some very old networks in rural areas like in Australia. CDMA is also much higher powered than GSM, and as such is more likely to cause cancer compared to GSM.

Also about the :apple: TV, the CRTC has a whole bunch of hoops to jump through to allow the shows online. Although the production companies really want their shows on iTunes, and the channels approve (CityTV, CTV, and Global just had a big article in the Globe and Mail about this), CRTC doesn't care, and since they control the distribution of Media in Canada.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.