Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etaleb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
guys - Ijust bought a used 27" thunderbolt monitor (model A1407) released in 2011. 'm trying to save the USB-C ports on my Mac Mini M2 for other things. If I get a Thunderbolt to HDMI adaptor, will that enable the speakers and webcam too or I need to use USB-C for that?

If it's the latter, can you kindly suggest a reliable adaptor. I'm not sure if my A1407 monitor is TB 1.0 or 2.0 - I know it was being sold between 2011-2016 which included both those standards during those years

Thanks

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
guys - Ijust bought a used 27" thunderbolt monitor (model A1407) released in 2011. 'm trying to save the USB-C ports on my Mac Mini M2 for other things. If I get a Thunderbolt to HDMI adaptor, will that enable the speakers and webcam too or I need to use USB-C for that?

If it's the latter, can you kindly suggest a reliable adaptor. I'm not sure if my A1407 monitor is TB 1.0 or 2.0 - I know it was being sold between 2011-2016 which included both those standards during those years

Thanks
You have to use a Thunderbolt port on the Mac mini with the Thunderbolt Display. HDMI will not work whatsoever, so you need the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter, to which you’ll connect the display’s thunderbolt cable. The adapter is compatible with both Thunderbolt 1 and 2, but the display is Thunderbolt 1.

Reactions: kitKAC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.