Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How are you getting out of your cell contract?

• Waiting it out

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Pay the Early Termination Fee

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Make up an excuse to get them to cancel the plan

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Hope they make a material change of contract (ala Verizon)

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other...please elaborate so I can get ideas...:D

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
So, just curious...I'm stuck in a contract with T-Mobile until February 2008...bastards (I thought the phone would come out LAST year, and when it didn't, I gave up and reupped for two years). So how are you going to get out of your contract. If you're with Verizon, you're lucky with the uppage in SMS prices, but for some of us, it's not so easy. :(

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I am with Verizon, but before I found out about that a few minutes ago, I was just going to wait it out....:(

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
From a local newspaper:

Q. I have a problem with Sprint. I canceled my service in September. I read something in the newspaper on Oct. 22 that said you could cut the service off for any reason without being charged. - G.T.

A. The article you read was in the Sunday Business section of the Winston-Salem Journal. There isn't a never-fail escape clause in mobile-phone service contracts. Most of the time, if you cancel before the end of your contract, you must pay a termination fee.

However, a customer can get out of the contract through a loophole that allows cancellation if there is a rate increase. The story, which came from The Wall Street Journal, said that this loophole applies to the four major mobile-service providers, Cingular, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon. The cancellation clause is allowed within a certain period of time after customers receive notice of the rate increase.

Your contract should include a section about this provision. (If you don't have your contract handy, the article suggests looking on the carriers' Web site for the policy.)

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
If you don't currently have a Verizon SMS plan (to then get out of) - can I add one tomorrow, then be able to terminate early without a penalty? :confused:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Eh, don't sign up for 2 year contracts in the first place....

And if your contract will expire by early next year, just wait until then! We'll have the second-gen iPhone by then, and might even have new lower price ones as well.

I'm holding out for an iPhone with iChat AV built in. (And, as I mentioned in another thread, for either the iPhone to come to T-Mobile, or for Cingular to get better data pricing.)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
For me, I am with Cingular and locked in for another year on one phone and not locked in on another. Frankly I do not care. For me it comes down to simple math. If it is $150 to get out of my contract with Cingular and the phone is $200 with contract and $400 without (I'm just giving numbers) then it is in fact advantageous for me to buy myself out of my plan and save $50. I have a way to get a free phone but sometimes it means I gotta change my #. I got my Cingular 8125 for $50 and sold it on ebay for $325. I am now in the market for something else which will probably be the slvr or the blackjack. I don't seem to care about the iphone much. Although I always say that and then wind up buying.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
I'm not planning on getting the iPhone, but if I did have to get rid of my current Cingular plan, I'd just tell them how awful their service is and ask them to cancel. It really is bad. As soon as they started running those "the network with the fewest dropped calls" commercials, I started getting dropped calls. Only after those commercials started! Also, when I call my girlfriend, who has Cingular also, it takes about ten seconds before I even hear the ringing noise. When we do get connected, her voice is soft and mumbled with lots of static when she is talking and what sounds like no sound whatsoever when she isn't talking, even though my phone's volume is at a reasonable level. We both use high-quality phones from well-respected manufacturers, so it's not the phones. We also have both made sure that we have five bars of service before getting angry at Cingular as well.

Lame.

Daniel.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I don't have a cell phone :) , I don't need a cell phone :) , why do I want this phone so much then? :confused: ;) Damn Apple

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
So, just curious...I'm stuck in a contract with T-Mobile until February 2008...bastards (I thought the phone would come out LAST year, and when it didn't, I gave up and reupped for two years). So how are you going to get out of your contract. If you're with Verizon, you're lucky with the uppage in SMS prices, but for some of us, it's not so easy. :(

I'm not suggesting anybody does this, as its likely illegal, but if you are really at the end of your rope with your cell provider, this DOES work:

Most companies will let you off the hook if you move to an area where they don't provide coverage. So you can either find a big gaping hole on their coverage map, or just pick a foreign country. Then you call and tell them you're moving there, and you found out they don't have service, so you want to cancel. I did this myself because my previous cell phone company (don't want to name names) was crooked and a bunch of liars and I was fed up with their BS.

I read a lot about it on various forums before trying it. I've heard of it backfiring -- the company might ask for proof of change of address or something like that.

In my case they didn't ask for any proof, but it was a little time consuming to negotiate my way into it. Some of the customer service reps are paranoid, and some are just awfully pushy salespeople, and they will offer all kinds of alternatives, like putting your service on extended vacation. (At the low cost of $6 a month! Not including the new contract you have to sign when you come back! Yippee what a deal!) I just told those people I would mull it over, and then called back a little later to deal with somebody else. All told it was 4-5 phone calls and one e-mail, but I got my service canceled with no charges.

I've been with Verizon since then and although the service isn't perfect, its much better than my previous, and at the very least I'm not aware of them having blatantly lied to me, which my old provider did on several occasions -- one occasion compelled me to involve the BBB and I got a large discount for the next few months after that.

I certainly wouldn't do this just because I wanted to get a phone from a different provider. Part of the price of the phone is the obligation to the contract, and I'm happy with my cheap Verizon phone so I will observe the terms of my contract.

My previous contract -- with the hated provider -- was on a phone that I had purchased off eBay. I benefited absolutely ZERO from that contract. The reason I was in it in the first place is related to one of the lies I mentioned above, and that's why I had no problems conning my way out of it.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I'm with Cingular now. I can re-up in Sept. I haven't decided on whether or not to upgrade to the iPhone, but I can if I want to. I have one of those ROKRs, and it isn't great, but it works fine for what I do with it.

snakelda

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2006
Az.
I have verizon but I don't really want to subscribe to cingular just for the phone...I'm waiting 'till iPhone comes to verizon.

ogee

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2006
Earth.
I wont "get out early" as I'm disappointed with the Apple phone vaporware.

When I have held one in my hand and had the chance to play with it for a while, I will reconsider, but as for Europe its at least a year away Im not overly bothered about the device.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Currently I'm locked in to a 2 year contract with T-Mobile, but I figure that I can ask my friend (who is moving to Cingular for the iPhone) to buy me one and unlock it and I'll give him $10 for unlocking it. (Just so that if he bricks the phone or something like that then I don't pay)

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Currently I'm locked in to a 2 year contract with T-Mobile, but I figure that I can ask my friend (who is moving to Cingular for the iPhone) to buy me one and unlock it and I'll give him $10 for unlocking it. (Just so that if he bricks the phone or something like that then I don't pay)

The only problem is that there is presently no known way to unlock the iPhone, and no guarantee that it will even be unlockable. If Apple hard-codes the iPhone to Cingular, then it's stuck on Cingular. (er... "at&t" now.)

Phones only get unlocked when and if an unlocked version of the phone becomes available, and those with debugging tools get their hands on it and figure out how to unlock otherwise locked ones. So hopefully Apple won't sign an exclusive agreement in Europe, that way we only have to wait for the iPhone to come out in Europe before someone figures out how to unlock it.

raptor96

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2006
RI
I don't have a cell phone :) , I don't need a cell phone :) , why do I want this phone so much then? :confused: ;) Damn Apple

Because you're the market they want! Come on really, $600 for a phone with no replaceable battery? I've had many a time when I was on a trip and switched out my battery to be able to keep going. I'm not trying to turn this thread on its head but really, if you use your phone heavily...hell if you just keep bluetooth on, your battery's toast on this iPhone...you'll be carrying chargers with you so you can charge while getting lunch, while driving, while at work etc.

In any case...I'm with T-Mobile for like another year with my family's contract. If the iPhone somehow compels I'll probably get Rev B once it's out...though I don't care for AT&T so I'll hope for an unlocked version...

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
One of two ways, either wait till February/March 2008 when my contract expires, or if I find myself in the fortunate grace of having my wife want to buy me one for my July B-day present, then I will pony up the $200 contract fee.

Issue is that we made a mistake. Feb/March of 2006 we upgraded her crappy Samsung to a slightly less crappy Motorola V360. Problem is that we had just merged to a family plan and she had upgraded 15 months earlier and wasn't eligible. I had bought an unlocked Nokia 8801 and hadn't used the upgrade in 2+ years for my Sony Ericsson T610 so we had to use my upgrade to get her phone. So she is free to change but I have to wait till next spring. I am the primary and she is the subacct on our plan. Either way we would both have to switch though she would just get some other Cingular phone.

The only other option is that I have complained to T-Mobile several times now about dropped calls and having been a loyal customer since 1999, they may let me out without a fee since the complaints are documented and increasing in frequency.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.