Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Copland

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
Rochester, NY
It's cool, but I would hate to see it in an operating system.

Sure, it's more realistic, but in real life you can see what the documents are, whereas in this, you have to rely on the icons.

Cool physics/ animation, but not practical in my opinion.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I don't know, it's fancy, and every now and then my Desktop do get that cluttered...

...but it would involve a lot more mousing, which is the least ergonomic way to use your computer...

...and whenever my Desktop do get that cluttered it's better to just clean it... ;)

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
It's nice a concept, but not at all practical for a desktop environment in my opinion. I try to use the mouse as little as possible, and this entirely relies on it.

Besides, i'd never let my desktop get into that sort of state, and if i did, re-arranging the files into piles where i can't see what they are by name is hardly going to help. ;)

rowanhall

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
looks nice, but i can't really see a practical use, well not one that i would use! all i see is a pile of icons... but what icon is what file? imagine trying to orgainse an ipods worth of mp3s!

maybe i'm missing the point of the demo though! :)

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
I don't know about this... I tend to use a computer so that my desktop does not look like my real world desktop. I think this would be a step backwards in my world...

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
Why have they chosen Homie G to demonstrate? I was thrown a bit when I saw a hand with a massive "$$$" ring moving the pen around. Is there some sort of parallel with material bling and graphical bling?

Word up.

EDIT: I guess that's Azan "Bling" Khan who's listed in the credits. It's reassuring to see that you can take a programmer out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the programmer.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Looks like an interesting concept. I actually cannot wait for a downloadable demo just to try it out. It might actually be beneficial to me because I actually find stuff better in messes. If something is too clean (like my Mac OS X desktop), I go crazy.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
This looks fantastic, but I think it is a bit of a gimmick (wel, I haven't played with it, so I can't say for sure). It makes the user take a lot of responsibility and actions to organize and keep organized the desktop, which does not seem that useful to me.

And I think it would really break down once the number of items gets very large, which is not a significant improvement over my current desktop.

It's a great school project, though. I'm glad people are really trying to rethink the fundemental ways we interact with computers, even if every idea doesn't bare fruit.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Aloha everyone,

I saw Mac icons, but I really think that Windows users would find this more useful. I really didn't see too many Mac users with tons of icons on their desktops.

It would be a nice way to organize a large(r) folder that contained disparate types of docs with common themes. For example, building plans/blueprints, photos of the construction site, QT movies of walk-throughs, etc...

Of course, I am coming from the Windows world (I just switched last August), so smack me down if I sound a bit silly :grin: I have seen Windows desktops literally COVERED with icons - those users could very definitely use this proggie.

I also like the comment vis a vis the programmer and the ghetto :grin:

HawaiiMacAddict

P.S. Can you imagine the effects possible with Core Animation, though???

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Cool looking, that's a gimme.

if it were only used for the cluttered desktop, then it is a bit silly....
But, if it were used for the whole FileSystem (also accross networks), I feel this could be really cool! You know, have "holes" (or drawers) on the 3D desktop, to drop the docs into, which essentially copies (or cuts and pastes) the docs you were cleaning up.
Maybe this could be exetended to the "save" panels aswell....

I wonder.... I kinda like it.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
if we're just dreaming of a cool use for this 3D feature set, how about taking what we know of the Multi-Touch interface, adding in the 3D physics of the BumpTop interface and merging the two for some sort of 7"-10" tablet Mac? The BumpTop system seems to hinge entirely on a stylus-type interface tool, and it would probably be even more immersive it you just used your fingertip as in the Multi-Touch demos we've seen. All the different sort/stack/lasso gestures could easily be reproduced with multi-finger gestures. The 3D interactive icons would also be very natural with a touch interface.

As far as running real apps, the actual windows would be more traditional (I think), but will interactive and 3D. Sort of like Vista's Flip 3D view, but without the Vista nonsense. I don't actually expect Apple do do any of this, but it would be really, really cool looking. I can only imagine the side-by-side of a 3D-Touch Mac tablet and a Vista Tablet PC. The Mac would make the PC look as out of date as the iPhone makes my RAZR look (and I still haven't seen an iPhone in person!).

it is fun to dream, though.:D

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
wasn't there a rumored mac os x feature called "piles" a few years back? the video reminds me of what i thought the feature was going to be, but i think the feature ultimately became what we now know to be exposé.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
So there's this new thing called Core Animation.

Doesn't anyone think Apple will include more than a few new interactions like screensavers, TimeMachine, (and what was the third one? spaces) using CA?

I think Apple has a lot of core animation goodies hidden up their sleeves. This would be an awesome addition.

On a side note, I just wish so bad that when setting your own picture as the desktop background, you can move it around in system preferences if it is larger than your screen, or if you want to crop it around a certain part. The iPhone does this, why wouldn't our own computers be able to?

-=|Mgkwho

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.