Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
We're (the entire organisation and the studio) going to be blessed with a visit from FAST (Federation Against Software Theft) soon...

As well as making sure our EULAs are up to scratch, I need to find a way of creating an inventory of installed apps and fonts on each Mac (8 in total).

We're running 10.3 and System Profiler generates a huge RTF file containing every little app and utility which is overkill as well as logs which I don't need, and doesn't include fonts...

Are there any utilities that you can use to do a similar task but customise so you don't get every little widget and you do get the fonts?

As always, I appreciate any help.

Thanks...
BV

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I have no clue how to help, but I am curious if you/ your company/ colleagues ever came up with a better solution?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Have you tried Apple Remote Desktop?

You can generate a report on "Software Difference" with the ARD Admin's computer (see pic)

BTW... I'm honoured to be in the company of two Demi-Goddesses! :cool:

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    52 KB · Views: 52

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
I don't know how to do it, but isn't there someway of doing this in terminal mode, searching for specific filetypes and through the font book, and printing this out. I'm assuming your 8 computers are networked.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
I'm assuming your 8 computers are networked.

Not all of them... after a long meeting with I.T., I've given up on the idea because they're just as peeved about the whole thing as I am, yet they have about 150 PCs to sort out.

After agreeing a joint plan of attack, we'll (i.e. the Mac people) give FAST a list of every main app that's installed with their serials, show them the product boxes if they want... We have nothing to hide and I have better things to be getting on with than to be futzing around in Terminal to satisfy the requirements of a society that we pay to be a member of.

Storm in a teacup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.