Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
London, England
Recently swapped the original 500Gb drive for a 1Tb one, and fitted a second 1Tb drive to the DVD bay using an Optibay adapter.

I know most people who swap out the DVD drive fit an SSD, but I'm happy with the performance of the machine so for me it was all about maximising storage. This sight sure puts a grin on my face:

storage.jpg

It means I don't ever have to think about what I can store on the laptop, for example having all of my music available when travelling. With 800Gb used so far, I reckon I have enough expansion capacity for the expected life of the machine, by which time perhaps SSDs will have reached similar capacities and prices to HDs.

The DVD writer is in an external USB caddy for the rare occasions I need it (mostly just for ripping DVDs).

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Cool idea.

You could use the second drive as an onboard Time Machine backup drive.

But I know, you did the install to gain all that space.

I use the optical drive frequently, but thought about using an external optical drive and installing a second HDD inside.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
London, England
You could use the second drive as an onboard Time Machine backup drive.
But I know, you did the install to gain all that space.
Indeed. Time Capsule backs up when I'm at home, and I do on-site backups of photos immediately after each shoot, so I can make full use of the space. :)

I use the optical drive frequently, but thought about using an external optical drive and installing a second HDD inside.
It might be a pain if you use the optical drive a lot. I hardly ever use mine (can't remember the last time I did), so it was a no-brainer for me.

IGotBush

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
I can see your need for that space, I don't really like using an external enclosure except to back stuff up, but as for the movies, I typically don't watch a move more than twice unless its been some years since I've seen it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.