Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
* This question specifically concerns the UNITED KINGDOM version of the ADC program ONLY - if you are looking for info on the US version, use search to find plenty of threads covering that.

The cost of the student ADC in the UK is £65 inc. VAT.

Unlike the US version, the UK online store does not appear to have an ADC section and there appears to be no other way to find out what the ADC hardware discount is in the UK.

In the US, the once-off student ADC discount seems to be 20% off computers (including laptops) and 10% off accessories (including monitors).

The 20% computer discount also seems to apply to RAM and HDD upgrades purchased at the same time.

Does anyone know for certain if the same discount applies in the UK?

The regular educational discount in the UK is around 8% for computers.

The H.E. (Higher Education) discount in the UK is 16% for computers. I don't know what the H.E. discount is for accessories such as monitors but I seem to remember that it is not 16%. Does anyone know the actual figure?

If the UK ADC hardware discount on computers is 20% (and, remember, no-one seems to know if it is), the £65 enrollment cost would pay for itself once you had spent £1625 on a computer (at regular, non-edu discount prices).

For example, the standard configuration of the 15" 2.33 MBP would be:

£1699 at regular price

£1563.08 at Education prices

£1427.16 at H.E. discount and

£1359.2 at ADC discount if it actually is 20%, saving £67.96.

Eligibility

You must be over 18 because membership of the ADC involves a binding contract i.e. non-disclosure etc.

There is quite a bit of confusion on the threads about the US student ADC scheme, regarding whether you need to be a full-time student. Certainly, Apple's pages on the scheme do not state that you must be full-time, merely that you must be an enrolled student - this would seem to include part-time students.

This suggests that OPEN UNIVERSITY students, currently ineligible for the H.E. discount, might be eligible for student ADC scheme. Unfortunately, finding out for sure would involve paying the £65 enrollment fee before undergoing the verification process. Would this be risky? Is there a good chance of losing the fee?

My sense is that OU students should qualify as they are students at a recognised, degree-awarding body and Apple would be on pretty shaky if they tried to turn down the application and retain the fee because, very simply, they have not stated either way what the position of OU students is regarding this scheme.

Just to quickly restate a useful tip from the other ADC threads, you should not buy Applecare under the ADC discount as the H.E. version of Applecare is far cheaper, around £50 total compared to a few hundred under the ADC discount.

Please post any UK-specific tips and speculation regarding the UK ADC and UK student ADC schemes below.

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
the same machine under a corprate deal is £1,562.75
That's fascinating because it's more or less the same as the H.E. discount, suggesting that Apple feel pretty comfortable offering that 16% off.

I was actually looking at refurb prices today and noticed that they, too, tend to run around 15%.

Any idea what it takes to qualify as a corporate customer?

Because, of course, it doesn't take that much to set up a corporation on paper. I wonder if they, in fact, extend the "corporate" discount to all forms of company i.e. Ltds, sole traders etc.

I presume that £1,562.75 includes VAT, so, if you were a sole trader AND eligible for the corporate rate, you'd also be able to knock another 17.5% off that.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I'm in the UK and the last time I bought a machine with an ADC discount it was 20% off. I've got select ADC membership so maybe the student one is different. Maybe also the discount depends on the model you want. I bought a MBP.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
if you were a sole trader AND eligible for the corporate rate, you'd also be able to knock another 17.5% off that.
Not true. It depends on your VAT status. If your business is not registered with HMRC for VAT then you can't buy stuff VAT free. I know - I'm a sole trader, I'm not VAT registered and I pay VAT on stuff I buy for the business.

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
Not true. It depends on your VAT status. If your business is not registered with HMRC for VAT then you can't buy stuff VAT free. I know - I'm a sole trader, I'm not VAT registered and I pay VAT on stuff I buy for the business.
Well, of course, obviously - you've got to be VAT registered to avoid paying VAT.

I know that many sole traders are advised not to bother registering for VAT until they reach a certain level of business but there's absolutely nothing to stop someone getting a VAT number right away if they want one.

Again, obviously, I'm presuming a situation in which someone actually needs this stuff for business reasons, not just setting up a company for the Hell of it.

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
Yeah, filling in VAT returns when you don't have to is so much fun!
It generally takes a few minutes per item, so, not a serious hardship.

Is it worth doing to get 17.5% off the price of a fully-loaded MBP?

I would say the answer is ... YES!

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
I'm in the UK and the last time I bought a machine with an ADC discount it was 20% off. I've got select ADC membership so maybe the student one is different. Maybe also the discount depends on the model you want. I bought a MBP.
Thanks for that, BTW, exactly want I wanted to know, I'm hoping to get a MBP too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.