Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filmgirl

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Seattle, WA
That would be pretty sweet! I'm a big fan of the desktop replacement market anyway (as long as it has adequate cooling - which has long been the problem with putting decent GPU's in DR models), and Quad-Core laptop...that's FilmGirl's dream.

Remember though, the big problem with Pentium 4 Desktop chips that they had running in a lot of the high end desktops a few years ago (before Centrino and the smaller micron chips became more standard/efficient) was a) they ran hot as hell..like HOT and b) battery life was terrible (which is sort of moot for desktop replacement, but if you can only get an hour if you do need to take it somewhere, what's the point of even having it as a laptop -- I'd rather build use a Micro ATX case and high end LCD and c) overheating was a huge problem.

Still, very, very cool.

Winterfell

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Yep; that is the crux of it. You want a notebook that performs like a desktop, you're going to have to deal with the heat and the battery life (or lack thereof). Unfortunately, we can't have all of our cookies and eat them too.

Luckly, Apple and many other vendors have done a pretty good job in putting together notebooks that can perform exceptionally well with mobile-hardware.

I can tell you, without a doubt, that my MBP is one of the best computers I have ever owned.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
Remember though, the big problem with Pentium 4 Desktop chips that they had running in a lot of the high end desktops a few years ago (before Centrino and the smaller micron chips became more standard/efficient) was a) they ran hot as hell..like HOT and b) battery life was terrible (which is sort of moot for desktop replacement, but if you can only get an hour if you do need to take it somewhere, what's the point of even having it as a laptop -- I'd rather build use a Micro ATX case and high end LCD and c) overheating was a huge problem.
Still, very, very cool.

For me at least, a desktop replacement made perfect sense. It was certainly more portable than lugging around a CPU, LCD, mouse, kB, etc. I just had to accept the fact that I'd always be plugged into the wall. But if the price of bringing all that power with me means being plugged in all the time, fine by me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.