Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jialuolu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Canada
This probably pertains to all computers but I have an iMac that I rarely turn off. I was wondering if there were any risks are associated with leaving it on or putting it to sleep for somewhere between a few days and a few weeks? Thanks

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
This probably pertains to all computers but I have an iMac that I rarely turn off. I was wondering if there were any risks are associated with leaving it on or putting it to sleep for somewhere between a few days and a few weeks? Thanks

No risks either way. I generally sleep mine unless I go away. If you leave it on, restart it every few weeks to clear out any minor corruption that my have crept into memory.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown

no its fine I've had my g5 for 4 years (almost) and don't ever remember turning it off for longer than an hour. It's great. Though the electricity bill would be cheaper if you turned it off as apposed to keeping it on, but the difference between sleeping and off is minimal.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
turn off, IMHO, sometimes is necessary, my mini sometimes get funky when was left on for too long.
PS, I find OSX to be getting slower when u turn it off/on often..... nah, maybe its the patches, not sure.

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
I sleep my Macs unless I'm going away. I might shut down if I wasn't going to use it for a couple of days, but that's not likely is it! :)

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
I usually switch mine off of an evening rather then leaving them on.

There was a percentage quote recently of the worlds energy being used solely on electrical appliances that were on standby.

I'm sure many of them were not energy efficient like our macs, but nevertheless macs on standby are a contributor.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I turn off my Mini every night. It's just a custom I carried over from using a PC and an old iMac G3 233 MHz, since if I left either of them on over night, they would have major problems the next day.
Rokem said:
Though the electricity bill would be cheaper if you turned it off as apposed to keeping it on, but the difference between sleeping and off is minimal.
Minimal? I saved $200 on my parents electric bill when I started to turn off my PC at night!

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I sleep my mini every night, unless i'm updating my software or downloading something. I tend to shut-down or restart my Mac mini once every week, since that's when I run Onyx.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
I always sleep and restart every once in a while. However, I don't shut down. My iMac doesn't like to, it just likes to sleep. If I press shut down, it stays on the Auqa-Blue background until I force turn it off or sleep it. Such a stubborn Mac...

I'm not joking either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.