Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

losx12

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
anyone else getting this after install?

Picture 3.png

i'm on a 2 GHz Core Duo MBP OSX 10.4.10.

I figured this deserved a thread of its own. After updating to iTunes 7.3, iTunes updates your library which takes a couple seconds, that so far is normal, after a few seconds that pops up, if you click okay, it keeps popping up about every 30-60 seconds. If you check don't warn me again, the next time you open iTunes, your library reverts itself to the one before the 7.3 update (content wise, it still looks like the new one) meaning that if you download any new podcasts, they disappear as if you had never downloaded them, and if you watch anything it reverts to not watched with the blue dot next to it. It's pretty annoying and was wondering if anyone else is dealing with this and if they had found a solution. I tried downloading iTunes again from Apple and re-installing it but that didn't work. Sorry if someone else already posted this or found a solution.
I forgot to add that I'm on a 1.8Ghz iMac G5 running 10.4.10

..Vector..

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2007
I'm having exactly the same same problem, tried repairing permissions, repairing the disk, but no success...

Reverting back to 7.2 has fixed it for me for now but I'd like to be able to use 7.3 :mad:

I'm on a 2.16ghz 24" iMac 10.4.10

Bjohnson33

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2006
Same problem here

I'm getting the exact same error message, popping up every minute or so unless I click on "Do no warn me again". I'm on a G4 Powerbook 867 12" running 10.4.10. I've never had a problem with any software update before.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I'm having exactly the same same problem, tried repairing permissions, repairing the disk, but no success...

Reverting back to 7.2 has fixed it for me for now but I'd like to be able to use 7.3 :mad:

I'm on a 2.16ghz 24" iMac 10.4.10

Where can I find 7.2? (I wasn't smart enough...)

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I'm glad I didn't update.
Man, this is getting ridiculous. Problems with every single update lately.
All Apple cares about these days is their friggin phone. Heads up, Jobs! You've got computer users to take care of, too!

jdm7

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2005
still no resolution

It's now 24 hours since the last post. I've read through several forums and it seems as though apple has yet to address this issue that is plaguing both mac and pc versions of the 7.3 upgrade. I can't imagine what else could be occupying apples' time? ;)

Does anyone know the lag time between new versions and the first fix for past itunes issues?

It does seem odd that this has yet to be resolved with the potential black eye it could cause.
Old users may be used to this, but for new users (especially after waiting in lines and forking over $600) this could be a pretty big deal.

villaCr

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Workaround

The problem seems to be with the data file that iTunes create, so I let iTunes create a new one, and it worked for fine me:

• Open iTunes, and go to File->Export Library
  • Save the library somewhere in your hardrive
  • Complete close your iTunes
  • Go to your music folder, open the iTunes folder and move to another location both files: the Itunes Library data file and the iTunes Music Library.xml DO NOT REMOVE THE FOLDERS
  • Open iTunes again, and it should show up that your library is empty, now, go to File->Import and load the file you exported in the second step.

The Library import will take a while, but after it finishes you will have a new iTunes library with all your stuff in it.

If something goes wrong, just copy the original data and xml library files to the Music->iTunes folder.

Good luck!

losx12

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
The problem seems to be with the data file that iTunes create, so I let iTunes create a new one, and it worked for fine me...

I did this, among a few other things, and it worked. I wasn't sure if this was the part that helped but I guess it was since it worked for you too.

XeRXeS-TCN

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2007
Solution?

"Rollin m" posted a potential fix on the Apple discussion forum but it seems to have largely been lost in the huge thread. I also can't reply there to confirm because the Apple discussions forum is experiencing problems at the moment.

He suggested deleting your video podcasts because it fixed the problem for him on Windows Vista, and two more people on the forum replied on Macs to say that it had fixed the problem for them as well. I tried it myself on my iMac and sat for 5 minutes with no more errors coming up, and it didn't error or try to reupdate when I closed and reopened iTunes, so that seems to be the fix for the time being. I deleted all my podcasts just for the sake of completeness but it seems to be video podcasts causing the issue.

Deleting your XML files and rebuilding your library DOES work too, but recreating your library wipes all your "Date Added" information, view settings, smart playlists, etc. which I certainly wasn't prepared to do.

..Vector..

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2007
It appears that deleting all your video podcasts has fixed this for many people including me, you can then put them back and everything stays fine :)

jdm7

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2005
how did you get it to save your changes?

I too have deleted all video podcasts, however after quiting and opening itunes, the video podcasts that I deleted are back as is the -50 error message.

Because iTunes isn't saving the library changes, it isn't saving my deleted video podcasts.

The error messages continue—and as of now, Apple is yet to fix or address the issue.

So much for the,"It just works" campaign.

XeRXeS-TCN

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2007
I too have deleted all video podcasts, however after quiting and opening itunes, the video podcasts that I deleted are back as is the -50 error message.

Because iTunes isn't saving the library changes, it isn't saving my deleted video podcasts.

What you have to do is delete the video podcasts, then leave iTunes sitting there for a couple of minutes. It tries repeatedly to save the library and throws errors, but once you 'fix' it by deleting the podcasts you have to leave it long enough to try and write the library so that it can succeed before you shut it down. Once you leave it for a few minutes without errors, you should be able to close it and reopen as normal.

jdm7

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2005
it's all in the details

Unfortunately, I deleted them then quit before it could "save". Now, the podcasts are showing with exclamation/missing icons and iTunes is still in -51 error hell. I deleted the video podcasts (didn't want them anymore) so now I have no way of getting iTunes to see that the files have been deleted and let it "save" before closing. :eek:

Any other ideas? Do I just bite the bullet and rebuild the library at this point.

XeRXeS-TCN

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2007
Well you could rebuild at this point, or try deleting the erroring entries and see if that fixes it.. or possibly re-download and immediately delete the files, or you could stick dummy files in, possibly.. like, Get Info on each, get the filename, create a blank file and give it that name and stick it in the folder it says, something like that.. though if you have too many to do that, or can't be bothered, rebuilding might be the only way to do it.

jlmillstein

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2007
different problem

my itunes just flat out wont open. when i click on it, it bounces in the dock, the little in use arrows appears underneath it for about two seconds, and then disappears. any thoughts as to how i can open it up?

markm

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
Canada
my itunes just flat out wont open. when i click on it, it bounces in the dock, the little in use arrows appears underneath it for about two seconds, and then disappears. any thoughts as to how i can open it up?
If you are running ShapeShifter: add iTunes to your exclude list in the ShapeShifter preference pane. Looks like there is an incompatibility.

Hope that works for you,
Mark

dpdc77

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
Rochester, NY
I was able to install and run 7.2 yesterday and everything was fine.

Today I opened up itunes and now it says:

Microsoft Visual C++Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Any ideas?

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
I was able to install and run 7.2 yesterday and everything was fine.

Today I opened up itunes and now it says:

Microsoft Visual C++Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Any ideas?

Not to be a smartass, but when I had that error last week the fix given to me was "Upgrade to iTunes 7.3". :eek: Granted, 7.3 DID fix that error, but now I'm getting the same "unknown" error as everybody else. Will try some of the fixes listed here when I get home tonight.

I think it has something to do with the Safari Beta maybe. Can you uninstall that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.