Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
So yesterday I plugged a special line from the audio out of my bands PA system into my built in line-in on my macbook, and started to test out the volume levels by recording some. It worked for a little bit, but then in testing a second time, I went back to listen and my computer read that it had no audio drivers or ports at all. I figured I'd just go to the macrumor boards to see what was up, but guess what? No Internet at all. It said airport card wasn't even found. So i've been online on my iphone/family PC looking it all up and i even did an erase and restore of my entire macbook and still no airport, no sound, but the red light coming out of the headphone jack (when I only used the line-in) has finally stopped. ive no clue whats going on or how to fix all of this.

Ive tried the various ways of booting up (like with p+r+apple+ctrl or with d) and still nothing. Will I have to set up an appointment at my local Apple store (an hour away) or is there something I need to try?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
I did that as well (booting from d with the disc in) and it found nothing to be wrong on both the normal and extended tests.

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea
Have you checked to see if System Profiler recognises them? If you can see them in System Profiler then you're sure they're not fried, just not working for whatever reason.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
yes I've also checked the system profiler.

for the audio it says there's no built in audio at all

and for the airport it says "no information found"

when I tried installing an update on software for airport, it said that everything was already up to date.

yet my computer acts as if airport doesn't even exist.

I don't understand how doing something as small as recording audio from a PA out-plug would render my sound/wifi usless.

completely random.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
well judging by the lack of new replies to this thread, i'm assuming there isn't much, if anything, that I can do.

That being said, how much would it cost me to have these issues (audio and airport cards fixed (replaced if needed) ) taken care of at my apple store?

My 1 year warrenty just expired a week or so ago, and I don't want to be out tons of money.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
I don't understand how doing something as small as recording audio from a PA out-plug would render my sound/wifi usless.

Did you tap the PA's "line level" output or were you running from the PA's speaker outs?

Line level (usually ~1 volt rms) should be safe to use.

On the other hand, the speaker outputs on a high-power amp (possibly >100 volts) probably aren't (safe.)

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
come to think of it, I was running from the speaker outputs.

damn.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
So I found out through some browsing that there is supposidly no way to install or replace internal sound cards. If this is true then I could probably get my airport card replaced, but still no sound. This pretty much renders my macbook almost useless, as much of what I do on it (sound mixing and video editing) requires sound.

anyone know of a way to replace both sound and airport cards?

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
So I found out through some browsing that there is supposidly no way to install or replace internal sound cards. If this is true then I could probably get my airport card replaced, but still no sound. This pretty much renders my macbook almost useless, as much of what I do on it (sound mixing and video editing) requires sound.

anyone know of a way to replace both sound and airport cards?

I'm not really sure, but I think you'd have to replace the logic board, as far as the sound goes -- like I said, I'm not sure and I think you'd be having more problems with everything if that were the case. But http://www.ifixit.com has guides for DIY projects -- I looked around real quick and found nothing about the sound card replacement which is why I'm think it would have to deal with the logic board.

Good luck with everything and hope you get it fixed for as cheap as possible.

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
You can replace the airport card, so long as you don't mind dissecting your macbook. The sound card on the other hand, not so much. That part is most likely a piece of the logic board and you would have to replace the logic board for that. But on the bright side, if your current macbook doesn't have wireless N in it, you can put a Wireless N card in.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
come to think of it, I was running from the speaker outputs.

damn.
Wow. :eek:
Sorry to rub salt in the wounds man, but that's a huge no-no.
You've got to learn the difference between different signal levels (both to make sure you don't kill stuff AND to get better sound) if you're going to be doing any recording.
Here's a great resource for audio information:
http://www.gearspace.com/board/index.php
Here's where you can buy a USB or firewire interface to get back on the recording train:
http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/computer-audio/audio_interfaces/
One of those should work regardless of whether or not your internal audio is fried. Plus, this could maybe be your chance to get into multitrack audio.
As for airport, I've seen the old Airport Extreme cards (still wireless G) on the Apple refurb store for $30.
Good luck!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
So today In examining the area near the line in and headphone inputs, I noticed that the edge of the computer is a bit risen. Possibly a sign of something?

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.