Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oscarchica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
I am new to the forums, so hello. I am currently using an Epson Stylus CX7800 printer. I have downloaded the drivers from the Epson website. Problem is, the install of the drivers stops at 7. I have already used this printer on my Imac so I know it works. Previously I had to reboot my Imac before installing bootcamp to run windows. I am just now going to use my printer and ran into the problem. Has this happended to anyone or anyone have any ideas on fixing this problem without having to reboot my Imac once again? Thanks.

chickieboom

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
HELP Epson Stylus cx7800

Arrggh. I have been trying to find a solution for daysssss. I have done everything. Download the new drivers from the epson site, reset the printer from the utility, installed the software (I think) and restarted the computer numerous times. It just isn't working. I get the same message about number of components still needed to download and it stops briefly at the number 7, but then says it successfully downloaded. I also had downloaded and installed the twain driver and the scanner works now and I can see that after the install of the twain driver there were additional icons for the scanner in the applications folder. However, I can't really see where anything new is for the install of the print drivers. I used the driver for the cx3100 and actually got something to print but it is a washed out job which isn't going to work for photos. This is driving me crazy. Please, someone help!!!! Desperately seeking cx7800. I have reinstalled OS X sofware, tried installing the print driver packages from the receipt folder, but keep getting and error message that it wasn't installed properly, with no way to try to see what the problem is. I've downloaded the latest software updates. I have a version 10.4.10 I just swiched back to Macs after a 10 plus year hiatus . I used to love macs but now I am wondering if I made a mistake. I can't believe the one driver I need isnt there and the one I'm downloading isn't showing up. Help if you can. TIA

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
I think the reason you haven't gotten any responses here is that your explanation doesn't make a lot of sense to Mac users.

Installing Epson drivers is normally simple: download the software, click install, go to the printer utility in System Preferences, and that's it.

One thing for sure is that it has nothing to do with your Mac. I exclusively use Epson printers (I have a R1800, the 960, and a RX580 and have no troubles).

The one thing you should to, however, is call Epson. The have a Mac helpline -- and although they are foreign based and usually of no help to me (I know far more about Macs than they do), they usually can get you headed in the right direction.

But, to repeat, never touch your system software on a Mac because of a printer driver. The Mac OS is almost never at fault on an issue like this.

TexasStar

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
CX7800 on Intel Duo Core iMac

I have the same issue. OSx 10.4/Duo Core iMac, same printer... I downloaded the latest driver from Epson. I reset the printing system as recommended and rebooted. I mounted the driver installation software and ran the VISE installer. I counts down the remaining files to install. When it gets to 7, it pauses a long time. It seems to finally time-out, then says the installation is complete. But the printer won't install... Epson Stylus CX7800 is not listed, nor is Epson Stylus CX7800 Series (which is what they named the files they installed). A quick peek into /Library/Printers/Epson shows they did install files, but they're marked executable and the ownership is wrong. So... ran the Repair Permissions in Disk Utility which found and fixed about every file Epson just installed... reboot... still no joy.

Ok, so reset printing system, download the older 2.6 driver, run Printer Setup in Rosetta mode... no joy.

Currently, my guess is that Epson's driver is as bad as this printer... but I paid too much for it to throw it in the dumpster. So, I'll try to call Epson tomorrow and let you know what falls out.

I might try copying the files off my MacBook (which has the older/working drivers on it)... but I know ... last resort.

TexasStar

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
I am new to the forums, so hello. I am currently using an Epson Stylus CX7800 printer. I have downloaded the drivers from the Epson website. Problem is, the install of the drivers stops at 7.

Oscar,
I got mine working using the following procedure, which I post for educational purposes only as I would never recommend this to anyone else. So if you try this... you do so at your own risk. I did not call Epson (don't have time today). You really should do that first. Here's what I did:

1. Reset the Printing System via the Printer Setup Utility.
2. Reboot
3. Open Terminal
4. cd /Library/Printers
5. sudo mv EPSON EPSONold
6. ctl-D or exit to close Terminal

--- caveat on Step 5: You must know (that is have previously set) the super user's password...

7. click on epson11768.dmg to mount the image, then click on VISE installer
8. let it install the driver, don't worry about the count saying 7 for a minute... it's just buggy software... all files are installed and it's just scanning the HD... but their counter is "one step behind" the process. (I verified this via sudo du on the new Epson folder it created and the count of files is correct at this point).
9. Click Quit when done.
10. Install the CX7800 as usual, it'll "just work" at this point.

.... caveat on process .... Any other Epson printer will have to have drivers installed or copied from the EPSONold folder.. but i don't have nor do I plan to ever own any other Epson printer ever... but then don't forget:

11. run the Disk Utility, Repair Permissions (Epson's installer will have left the new drivers in insecure and non-standard modes)
12. Printer works, computer is secure, life goes on ooblahdee ooblahdah.

Please don't rag me out for this process... I know it's totally flakey but I had to get this printer working so Wifey will stop stressing about her paper that's due tonight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.