Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JC4

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Columbus, OH
3 pages into a forum, and boom, crash. I wasn't even using iPod.

Even MS can write a browser that doesn't crash. :(

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Have you tried restoring the iPhone? Mine doesn't crash that often, even before the update I could go a good half an hour or more without it crashing, and this was with listening to music.

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Have you tried restoring the iPhone? Mine doesn't crash that often, even before the update I could go a good half an hour or more without it crashing, and this was with listening to music.

Mine would crash with ipod prior to update, but no issues now while surfing. No crashes on Safari noted yet

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Mine would crash with ipod prior to update, but no issues now while surfing. No crashes on Safari noted yet

Had you tried within a week of the release of the update? While it was unstable originally, it got a lot more stable within a week of the release of the update.

ecks618

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
NYC

That is the stupidest, most useless comment I have heard.

Obviously it is still going to crash sometimes, just like MS can write an operating system that works sometimes. The update was to make safari more stable and safe, not crash-proof. Its like windows having all these service packs, yet somehow the vulnerability of each is worse than the previous.

BTW, I use windows along with OSX, but this comment is the most retarded comment I have heard.

JC4

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Columbus, OH
call my comment stupid all you like. Its what apple deserves. I'm constantly reporting safari crashes to apple on my iMac and MacBook. I even do my best to let them know what pages cause it. I've seen no improvement. I use to hate using IE, but it didn't crash.

Its only crashed once sense the update, so its likely the photo forum(I haven't visited again)

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
call my comment stupid all you like. Its what apple deserves. I'm constantly reporting safari crashes to apple on my iMac and MacBook. I even do my best to let them know what pages cause it. I've seen no improvement. I use to hate using IE, but it didn't crash.

Its only crashed once sense the update, so its likely the photo forum(I haven't visited again)

To me, that sounds like a crash due to running out of memory. The iPhone doesn't handle pages with tons of pictures very well at all

JC4

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Columbus, OH
To me, that sounds like a crash due to running out of memory. The iPhone doesn't handle pages with tons of pictures very well at all

Could be. This is the exact page I went to when it crashed. I only had the one tab(page) open. This pages does NOT repeat the crash.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=336920&page=77

It does have a couple images on it, but I've successfully used the iPhone on MUCH more photo intensive pages. Prior to 1.0.1, Safari crashed randomly, more often when iPod was running. I have similar issues on my macs, about 1 crash per day, and send the reports to apple, so I doubt it's specific to my iPhone. More likely specific to the pages I visit. which I've also reported to Apple.

The biggest issue was iPod crashing while using Safari, which others have reported fixed. I haven't tried that combo since the update. Kinda got out of the habit of listening to music and surfing. I don't even carry the earbuds anymore. A month was a long time to live with a bug they MUST have known about before the iPhone went on sale. Not exactly some exotic combination of apps running. :(

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC

IE didn't crash? How many WM phones have you used and for how long? Not only has IE crashed on EVERY WM phone I have owned but the WHOLE OS had to be pretty much warm started daily to be stable in my experience.

WM has been MUCH buggier in my history. Apple has done a great job in my opinion on their first round out on a phone OS.

JC4

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Columbus, OH
IE didn't crash? How many WM phones have you used and for how long? Not only has IE crashed on EVERY WM phone I have owned but the WHOLE OS had to be pretty much warm started daily to be stable in my experience..

None, I tend to avoid MS products for a lot of reasons. I'm not surprised about the crashes. I was referring to IE on NT/XP, as compared to Safari on OS X. I only brought up the OS X crashes because they act just like the crashes I've experienced with Safari on the iPhone, so they are possibly carry-over bugs. Which is the reason for my frustration, since I've been good about reporting Safari crashes.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
safari has never crashed on me at all after the update!

Where it used to crash all the time at 1.0

You know all you have to do is hit the check box that says dont ask me again in iTunes, and it submits the reports automatically!

JC4

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Columbus, OH
You know all you have to do is hit the check box that says dont ask me again in iTunes, and it submits the reports automatically!

I have no problems with reporting the crashes, it's the lack of action I have a problem with. I use to write software for a living, and I know its impossible to make a perfect product, so I try to help.

I'll have to check iTunes, and see if somehow it got configured to not send crash reports. When my iPhone was new, the first couple of application crashes generated a report, but it doesn't report anymore. Maybe it's doing it automatically, in which case Apple is getting a report every day from me.

I do continue to report Mac Safari crashes. I installed 3.03 yesterday, and reported it's crash this morning. I know it's beta, so I'm not complaining. I had tried 3.00, but found it way too buggy, and downgraded back to 2.x. 2.x still averages 1 crash a day, which is why I'm back to trying 3.x. It's still better than Firefox :)

sJv

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Sierra Foothills, CA
I used to get crashes all the time while listening to music and surfing the web (either Safari or ipod would crash) within 5 minutes. Since 1.0.1, I have not had one crash. I see a VAST improvement in this area for me.

-steve

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
None, I tend to avoid MS products for a lot of reasons. I'm not surprised about the crashes. I was referring to IE on NT/XP, as compared to Safari on OS X. I only brought up the OS X crashes because they act just like the crashes I've experienced with Safari on the iPhone, so they are possibly carry-over bugs. Which is the reason for my frustration, since I've been good about reporting Safari crashes.

So you are using full IE on XP as a comparison against Safari on the iPhone?

A bit of an unfair comparison don't you think when you are going to judge one company against another.

Also you have NEVER had IE crash? NEVER? How long you been using it? I don't mean to sound like I'm saying you are telling the truth but there has been some very unstable releases of IE for me in the past. The current one isn't bad but it was either 5 or 6 that just didn't seem to run very well for me at all on one of my media servers.

odHbo

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Safari crashed on me once after the update. I haven't fully reset the phone though, and i wasn't really allowing the page to completely load all the pictures before i started flicking the screen and touching things :D.

I believe the iPhone can surf for hours if you let the page load first.

I'm going to restart it and see what my results are.

kdarling

macrumors P6
WM has been MUCH buggier in my history. Apple has done a great job in my opinion on their first round out on a phone OS.

My expectations were higher.

At least Safari crashes back to the home page. I give them points for that.

Both Windows Mobile and iPhone OS and apps are total crap, speaking from a realtime embedded systems viewpoint. A phone's OS and its native apps should be solid as a rock. That's one reason why you shouldn't try to morph a desktop OS into this situation.

It's clear that Windows Mobile is written by bored, non-inventive programmers, who've spent way too much time using its big brother's APIs.

It's just as clear that the iPhone was rushed to market, not tested nearly enough, and has the potential of becoming somewhat of a public relations disaster for Apple... because they don't understand that phones are far more personal and integral to daily life, than an iPod or computer. Keeping silent about bugs and updates is a bad idea in this market.

What do others think about their silence tactic in this case?

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
My expectations were higher.

At least Safari crashes back to the home page. I give them points for that.

Both Windows Mobile and iPhone OS and apps are total crap, speaking from a realtime embedded systems viewpoint. A phone's OS and its native apps should be solid as a rock. That's one reason why you shouldn't try to morph a desktop OS into this situation.

It's clear that Windows Mobile is written by bored, non-inventive programmers, who've spent way too much time using its big brother's APIs.

It's just as clear that the iPhone was rushed to market, not tested nearly enough, and has the potential of becoming somewhat of a public relations disaster for Apple... because they don't understand that phones are far more personal and integral to daily life, than an iPod or computer. Keeping silent about bugs and updates is a bad idea in this market.

What do others think about their silence tactic in this case?

For it is very much the opposite. I feel the iPhone has been by far the most solid "smart" phone I have owned. Besides the Safari crashes which only happen when I have several pages open so I'm am kinda pushing it a bit on a phone it has been rock solid for me. I purchased my iPhone to replace a phone and iPod which I carried with me everyday. It has been a perfect convergence of tech. I didn't look for anything more then what was advertised. Sure I would always love more but isn't that true with everything?

In this case I feel Apple delivered just what was promised. Now everything else that is added is just free icing on the cake IMO.

JC4

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Columbus, OH
So you are using full IE on XP as a comparison against Safari on the iPhone?

A bit of an unfair comparison don't you think when you are going to judge one company against another.

Also you have NEVER had IE crash? NEVER? How long you been using it? I don't mean to sound like I'm saying you are telling the truth but there has been some very unstable releases of IE for me in the past. The current one isn't bad but it was either 5 or 6 that just didn't seem to run very well for me at all on one of my media servers.

Did you read my post? I said why I compared the Safari to IE, and I did NOT compare iPhone to a desktop.

It's been 2 years since I've run windows(other than in Parallels). Windows ran on my desktop at work, and at home prior. IE was used a lot. NEVER? Well, not that I can recall. Even if it did, it wasn't enough for me to remember, unlike Safari on my Macs that crashes nearly every day, and sometimes more than once a day.

JC4

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Columbus, OH
For it is very much the opposite. I feel the iPhone has been by far the most solid "smart" phone I have owned.

Good to hear. I didn't bother with any previous smart phones, because I didn't want to put up with the size, for the little I use Inet on the go.

In this case I feel Apple delivered just what was promised. Now everything else that is added is just free icing on the cake IMO.

You have to admit iPod crashing within a song or two every time Safari was used is hardly quality? Apple went a month before addressing this, which I also think is bad. If your's didn't then, good for you, but there was sure a lot of us that weren't so lucky.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Good to hear. I didn't bother with any previous smart phones, because I didn't want to put up with the size, for the little I use Inet on the go.

You have to admit iPod crashing within a song or two every time Safari was used is hardly quality? Apple went a month before addressing this, which I also think is bad. If your's didn't then, good for you, but there was sure a lot of us that weren't so lucky.

Didn't run into the iPod crashing problem. If it has been fixed for you within a month I would say that has been great.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
Apple went a month before addressing this, which I also think is bad.

A month is an extremely short amount of time for a large company to get bugs confirmed, verified as repeatable, get a plan in place to fix them, actually code the fixes, test them until they work properly, and then roll out an update.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007

This doesn't suprise me. I believe Apple stated that this update was to only address specific security issues.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Didn't run into the iPod crashing problem. If it has been fixed for you within a month I would say that has been great.

It's a month to us, many more to Apple.

We know that the first units went to AT&T for field testing by 200 people back around mid-April. So it's been three and a half months to figure out and fix bugs.

Oddly enough, the major complaint at the time was... low volume! Supposedly it was fixed. Now I suppose it's possible that only models manufactured later had the fix.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
It's a month to us, many more to Apple.

We know that the first units went to AT&T for field testing by 200 people back around mid-April. So it's been three and a half months to figure out and fix bugs.

Oddly enough, the major complaint at the time was... low volume! Supposedly it was fixed. Now I suppose it's possible that only models manufactured later had the fix.

Low volume is subjective. It isn't something they are going to halt everything and get right to work on. Now security fixes like the one we saw yesterday is something different.

Also remember the iPhone I'm sure had a very large team working on it before launch. Now it is out the phone DOES function. The team I'm sure is much smaller as people have been shifted to Leopard and other products that are due to refresh.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Low volume is subjective. It isn't something they are going to halt everything and get right to work on. Now security fixes like the one we saw yesterday is something different..

Mild disagreement. Not only was it a known issue, but I bet they've had more returns from low volume, than for other reasons. Just judging from all the comments in multiple iPhone forums.

Also remember the iPhone I'm sure had a very large team working on it before launch. Now it is out the phone DOES function. The team I'm sure is much smaller as people have been shifted to Leopard and other products that are due to refresh.

I sure hope they didn't have a large, shifting team. That would mean some upper manager has never read The Mythical Man Month, and still believes that throwing people at a problem will solve it.

Instead, as we all know from experience, you end up with crap software because of so many programmers struggling with unfamiliar code or parameters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.