Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
I decided to start a new thread rather than keep adding to the "ebay" problem thread. Also, this case has been mentioned in various threads.

Pics follow my review (warning - I take lousy pictures)

I got the wallet model. It was a long time in coming. They had to adjust the case for problems that arose after the phone was released. Sadly, I believe they adjusted incorrectly...

In general, this is a beautiful case. It can work as a wallet and is still compact. Feels really nice in the hand. It will work if you are trying to get away from carrying too many items - either in pockets or a purse. Someone mentioned they thought this might be a bit feminine. I don't think so. The bull is rather manly, is it not?

Speakers and charging work well while in the case. All buttons are accessible

Now the not-so-good points:

1. The case seems to fit tight but if turned upside down and tapped on the bottom (top), the phone slides out. This means if the case were to go flying (like one of mine has), the phone would make contact with the ground if the case happen to hit top side down.

2. I think they cut the volume cut-out after manufacturing. It is the only area that lacks stitching. You'll notice in the photo that the cut does not match precisely (too long). To me it looks sloppy.

The real problem is that the cut-out impedes your finger from making easy contact with the volume button. It is quite difficult to adjust the volume. One must stick the edge or tip of the finger between the leather (into the area cut out) to press the button. Very awkward.
I put the phone into the case upside-down to see how the volume button would work without a cut-out. Perfect! The leather has enough give to allow easy manipulation of the button.

3. The phone is a bit awkward to use while in the case. Folding the right side behind the phone is pretty easy and feels good. The problem is the strap that will poke you in the eye if you don't hold it back. There's just no easy, comfortable way of doing that.
Of course, this is a non-issue if you are using a headset.

Here are the pics. As the limit is 5, I'll have to do a new post for the final two.

Attachments

• front-web.jpg
    front-web.jpg
    549.9 KB · Views: 277
  • side-web.jpg
    side-web.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 251
  • open-web.jpg
    open-web.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 266
  • pocket-web.jpg
    pocket-web.jpg
    669.9 KB · Views: 255
  • cc-web.jpg
    cc-web.jpg
    652.5 KB · Views: 230

beate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
the last two not-so-nice pics

more...

Attachments

• bottom-web.jpg
    bottom-web.jpg
    757.2 KB · Views: 196
  • volume-web.jpg
    volume-web.jpg
    621.3 KB · Views: 214

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Awesome pictures and review. Thank you very much. One question though, how in the world are you supposed to talk on that thing while it's in the case? I'm afraid people might think I'm talking into my check book when I use that thing in public. You're not supposed to take the phone out of the case when making calls are you?

How about a picture of you using the iphone while it's in the case?

Greg61

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2007
Vertical magnet flip Piel Frama case.

I agree about the usability of the wallet model. This was why I went with the vertical flip top/magnet case. When the case is closed, it's completely protected. I do agree also that the fit isn't that snug. What I'm going to do is buy one of those peel and stick rubberized anti-skid pads for cars, cut it down to size and stick it to the leather coming in contact with the rear of the phone. I have to say the using my iPhone with this case works great. If you want pics, let me know.

danny-bonaducci

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
I agree about the usability of the wallet model. This was why I went with the vertical flip top/magnet case. When the case is closed, it's completely protected. I do agree also that the fit isn't that snug. What I'm going to do is buy one of those peel and stick rubberized anti-skid pads for cars, cut it down to size and stick it to the leather coming in contact with the rear of the phone. I have to say the using my iPhone with this case works great. If you want pics, let me know.

Can you please post your pics as well? I would love to see them as I am considering getting this model.

Thanks!

-DB

beate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Awesome pictures and review. Thank you very much. One question though, how in the world are you supposed to talk on that thing while it's in the case? I'm afraid people might think I'm talking into my check book when I use that thing in public. You're not supposed to take the phone out of the case when making calls are you?

How about a picture of you using the iphone while it's in the case?

Oh you make me laugh...like I want a total dork pic of me on the internet.
Maybe I can get some sucker to use it and allow me to take their picture...
One with the strap not held might be quite comical - now I must - I know some fools that will do as I ask.

I don't think you're suppose to remove the phone from the case to use. The case is made to even allow charging while encased.

It actually doesn't look too bad if you bend the strap around and hold it against the case while talking. As I mentioned - it will poke your eye if it isn't held back. It's just quite awkward to get it all in place. Not something you can do quickly when answering the phone.

The wallet case was mostly for when I didn't want to carry a wallet and it works well holding the cards & license. I like the clear plastic - you could use it for money also but for ID it's perfect...you can just flip open the case when asked for ID.

I plan to use a headset when using the case. I really don't think this is a good choice for an everyday case unless one plans to use only headsets. It's just way too awkward otherwise. Can be done tho...

What I'm going to do is buy one of those peel and stick rubberized anti-skid pads for cars, cut it down to size and stick it to the leather coming in contact with the rear of the phone.
If you want pics, let me know.

Good idea on the rubberized thingies.
Do post some pics. There are pics on the "ebay" thread but people may not look there as it's a problem thread.
I left the word "wallet" out of my heading so as to not limit other posters that want to review or post pictures of their case.

bender0069

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2007
There are pics on the "ebay" thread but people may not look there as it's a problem thread.
I left the word "wallet" out of my heading so as to not limit other posters that want to review or post pictures of their case.

I posted the pics on the ebay thread. It's a Magnetic Flip case. Here's the link! Pics

beate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Found another pocket on the wallet style case (Duh!!!).

Attachments

• open-pocket-web.jpg
    open-pocket-web.jpg
    868.4 KB · Views: 247
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.