Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
Last night I upgraded my original 100GB to a 200GB drive last night!

When I bought my MBP in March the standard drive was something like a 5000RPM 160GB. I saved $100 by buying the 7200RPM 100GB drive at the time.

Well, adding Boot Camp and other stuff made that 100GB drive disappear pretty quickly. So I went to dealmac.com and saw a Hitachi Travelstar 7K200 200GB drive from ZipZoomFly.com for $210... DELIVERED!

I was thinking of wating for the 200GB Seagate but the seek time is slower (12ms versus 10ms) than the Hitachi.

I called around for a service guy to swap it out and no one would do it for less than $90.

I did it in 30 minutes.

Didn't even scratch the paint (or metal or plastic)!

For those of you that have a 17" MBP and want to upgrade, it is EASIER than the 15" which is used for the tutorials on iFixit.com. The top comes right off without having to wiggle the frame or pop some plastic snaps.

Best thing I've done since buying a Mac in the first place.

vicious7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2007
Jacked into the net...
You should have posted pics and a step-by-step for those who want to try it. Great work.

Now, let's see if I can do this to a 15" MBP. BTW, what are your impressions of the new drive? Heat? Noise? Battery consumption?

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
You should have posted pics and a step-by-step for those who want to try it. Great work.

Yeah. Well, I was trying to do the swap as quickly as possible before my wife came home from work and yelled about me spending money on computers again (or as she says, "the other wife").

Now, let's see if I can do this to a 15" MBP. BTW, what are your impressions of the new drive? Heat? Noise? Battery consumption?

The new drive and the old drive are both 7200RPM Hitachi's. I think that they are both very quiet (they don't "rattle" like some other drives I've used) and give me a few hours on the battery (2-3 depending on what I am doing). I didn't have a slower drive or a different brand to compare it to.

Here is what one site found with the 7200RPM 200GB Hitachi...

http://barefeats.com/rosa05.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.