Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salilsundresh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Has anyone tried using vNotes or a similar application to record sound using an external microphone and the iPhone? I know some MP3 players like some of the iRiver models previously supported audio recording w/an external micrphone. This is great for journalists and works nice as an affordable high quality wireless microphone for video/film enthusiasts.

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005
I'm just going to bump this up cause I was looking for the same thing today. Any thoughts? Possibly a way to at least split the heaphone/mic jack to accommodate a higher quality mic via 1/8" etc?

streamKing

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2008
Work around

Hi Guy's
I was looking for a similair thing.
If you plug a standard 3 x RCA to Mini Jack into the headphone socket.

The Red RCA takes a line in feed,
All you need to do is plud good ext mic into Red RCA and off you go.

Any one know and good Boundry Mic's for this.

maokh

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Seattle, WA
bump ... looking for a microphone now that "Plum Amazing" appears to record CD quality audio.

I would imagine it is as simple as a specialized 4 conductor connector with some sort of impedance match.

There is also a line level "audio in" available within the ipod connector at the bottom of the phone. This would just require an amplifier...infact...exactly the same as the ipod touch mic hack.

shish1

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008
iPhone can do inline recordings

I can confirm that [my] iPhone 3G can record with an inline source, however it is not reliable.

The wire setup is basically from this webpage:
http://www.macusersguide.com/2009/06/iphone-voice-memo/

...but I don't have the mixing board. I tested it by recording the audio out running from my computer into the Mini AV cable (computer -> 1/8" male to rca male -> Mini AV cable -> iPhone). I opened up Voice Recorder on the iPhone and sure enough, the meter was registering the music I was playing.

Now the caveat: it doesn't always work. After a recording, going back to the mic screen on Voice Recorder, the meter is not picking up anything for an unknown reason. I can plug in the Mini AV cable input in and out and sometimes the phone will pick up the signal, other times not.

shish1

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008
iPhone can do inline recordings

update to my last post:

on a Mini AV cable, the yellow lead is the mic input. After using that instead of the red one mentioned in the linked post, Voice Memo records from it every time.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
update to my last post:

on a Mini AV cable, the yellow lead is the mic input. After using that instead of the red one mentioned in the linked post, Voice Memo records from it every time.

Could you clarify... a mini av cable?

r.

i've used this and had good luck, with a quick little voice over project i did on the fly.. and for the price $1.20 i bought 4 of them just incase one pooped out on me...... ive used it on my ipod touch also......

remember it is an iphone and this mic was only $1.20 but had pretty good results.... i'll see if i can post an audioboo from iphone...

Amazon Mini Mic

EDIT: OOPS old thread i didn't answer the question i guess.......LOL....

Badfoot

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
London, UK
i've used this and had good luck, with a quick little voice over project i did on the fly.. and for the price $1.20 i bought 4 of them just incase one pooped out on me...... ive used it on my ipod touch also......

remember it is an iphone and this mic was only $1.20 but had pretty good results.... i'll see if i can post an audioboo from iphone...

Amazon Mini Mic

EDIT: OOPS old thread i didn't answer the question i guess.......LOL....

Could you say what advantage/extra this gives over using the iPhones own mic?

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago

Generally it's sound quality. Just about any external mic will give you better audio recording then the iPhones small internal Mic.

For more control, check out the Mikey by Blue. It uses the dock and gives you 3 levels of input sensitivity. This is good for recording something like a lecture, and normal setting for talking directly into it for taking notes, and a setting for live music, or loud noise.

http://www.bluemic.com/mikey/

Also, I've had good luck with the Brando Mic, as long as you put the phone in Airplane mode when recording.

http://shop.brando.com/flexible-mini-capsule-microphone-for-iphone-3g-s_p03552c0202d033.html

I've also gone as far as hook up a mixer and a Shure Beta58 to record, having complete control over the input. This of course, is not the ideal set up for travel.

http://metalheadreview.wordpress.com/2009/12/08/impractical-audio-recording-on-the-iphone/

shish1

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008

It depends on what you want to use it for. I needed to have line-in because I wanted to isolate sounds from an output source clearly. I was convinced I could somehow use my iPhone to record it all, instead of buying a digital dictation device (yet another device?), and this is what led me to search out a way to make this happen.

I tested it out by having a simple 3.5mm male from the headphone jack on my Macbook Pro into one of the two adapter cables (the two I mentioned above), and it worked. This way, no other background noise is recorded - just the clean line-in input signal.

My purpose for all this is to be able to record voice transmissions between myself and air traffic control (I'm a student pilot) so I could examine them later. The addition of a specialized cord for aviation was all I needed.

Logan1981

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
Hello

Sorry to dig up an old thread (blame Google!) but I have a somewhat related question.

My wife is expecting and she purhased one of these Doppler gizmos which allows us to hear our babys heartbeat. The device has two headphone sockets, outputting what the Doppler picks up. It came with a phono jack to phono jack cable for the purpose of hooking it up to an audio input for recording to file, like the audio in on a PC or MAC.

My question is, if I plugged it into my iPhone 3GS would I be able to record the audio directly to my iPhone?

Thanks for your time.

shish1

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008
need adapter for recording inline audio

Logan,

If I understand you correctly, you're essentially ending up with a 3.5mm male jack coming from the source and wondering if you can plug that into your phone to record it's signal. The short answer is 'no' - not without an adapter. However, this wonderfully basic adapter that seems the simplest solution:

http://www.kvconnection.com/product-p/km-iphone-mic.htm

This worked for me.

Logan1981

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
That's correct mate. Thanks for replying. I'll try and source a similar adapter over here in the UK. Thanks again.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
hello all

I recently purchased one of these: iPhone XLR cable ~ Classic de Luxe v2.0

I have yet to test it because i own a first gen iPhone with that stupid sunken input. But i will test it with my wife's 3gs tomorrow with a couple apps. It supposedly provides XLR in (unbalanced of course) and stereo audio out simultaneously. Has some type of filter to block the current sent from the iPhone to power electret type microphones.

Iva

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Hello,

What is a good microphone to record with? I use a yamaha usb mixing studio. I am going to buy a microphone and have no idea what I should look for and I really don't want to end up with something tacky. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Iva
Karaoke Magic Microphone

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
I've finally found a pretty good solution allowing me to plug in directly a Shure SM58/PG48/almost any dynamic mic, along with most lavalieres, a Crown SoundGrabber II PZM boundary mic, etc.

http://www.lifeisaprayer.com/articles/photography/iphone-4-ipad-external-mic-audio-input

I'd appreciate any other suggestions of products to review / include in that article (linked above). And, yes, some of the links to products mentioned in that article are affiliate links for Amazon... (full disclosure).

Last edited:

Zeldain

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2011
I've finally found a pretty good solution allowing me to plug in directly a Shure SM58/PG48/almost any dynamic mic, along with most lavalieres, a Crown SoundGrabber II PZM boundary mic, etc.

Would you mind sharing what that solution might be?

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
I know this is a old thread. But I'm trying to record from a fm radio to a iPod touch/iPhone. I got a 2nd gen iPod touch, griffin navigate and I'm think of buying the line in cable listed above. Anyone think this will work?
Thx.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I know this is a old thread. But I'm trying to record from a fm radio to a iPod touch/iPhone. I got a 2nd gen iPod touch, griffin navigate and I'm think of buying the line in cable listed above. Anyone think this will work?
Thx.

That may work, but you may run into issues where the recording comes into the iPhone in mono, and not stereo, and it may only play back in there left or right channel, if you were to play it back on a Macbook, or laptop.

MicW USA

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.