Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
I bought my MBP back in September. It's 2.2ghz. Here's my problem:

When it's been a sleep (lid closed) for an hour or more, it takes forever to get started back up. I used to have the password screen set up on wake up, but that just got annoying because it took about a minute or more to type in the password (beach ball would come up). So without the password security on, waking up goes directly to the desktop. However, when I try to do anything internet related (get mail, click on anything in my currently open browser - firefox, safari - iTunes, etc) I get the beach ball or it just doesn't do anything for a couple of minutes. This has made using my laptop very annoying and frustrating. I now have to just flip the lid open and walk away for awhile, knowing I can't do anything on it for a couple of minutes. But if I walk away for too long and it goes back to sleep, it will get stuck again and I have to do the whole wake up and wait procedure over again.

I've tried manually changing the hibernate mode from default 3 to 0 - the old sleep style, but that doesn't help.

One other problem: If my laptop has been off for several hours or more, I get this folder icon(9 times out of 10), instead of the Apple logo, upon start up. So I have to manually restart it again by pressing the power button. Then it boots up. But sometimes, it will take minutes before I can do any internet activity.

Oh...it can't be my network because it happens on any network I go on.

Final problem: My laptop won't sleep if it's been idle for the set time period withing the energy saving preference. The pulsing light comes on and the screen turns off, but I can hear the hard drive running and the laptop remains warm/hot hours after coming back to it.

I've done all the apple updates also.

Anyone have any suggestions? You think this is a hard ware issue or something that can fixed with an update. I'm really considering getting rid of it and just going back to my PB, which I never had any issues with. :mad:

***UPDATE: I'm still having the same issues. But I copied my drive onto a external firewire (using super duper). When I boot up and run off the firewire drive the above problems don't exists, which lead me to believe the MBPs hard drive is messed up. When I run disk utility on the drive, it doesn't detect any problems with it. I have since reinstalled OS X on it and still have the same problems. I really didn't want to have to take it into the store for repair, but I might have to. Any other suggestions?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Have you actually went in an chosen the startup disk, if there isn't one -- or the pref gets screwed up.

Then the folder will appear as it hunts for the startup disk. and cause a slow boot.

---

If it is chosen, then it might be time to repair the drive. Since problems/issues on the drive will also slow things down.

Also following the directions for a SMC reset may help with the sleep issues.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

ShadowCat

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
Sorry to butt in like this. I'm having the same problem (but not too severelike the TS had) too. What I noticed is that the MBP take a while, say a couple of seconds before it finally wakes up from sleep. Never had this problem before on my Powerbook. I'm suspecting its due to the Intel processor which is not stable, maybe? I dunno.
By the way, someone mentioned about start-up disk. What is that and where can I locate it on my MBP? Thank you.

Reason for asking: I had a couple of prompts saying my start-up disk is almost full...or watever that means. Can anyone explain? Thank you.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Where...

:apple:/System Preferences/Startup Disk

The startup disk is just the drive that you are trying to boot from, the one with the OS on it.

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
I checked the start up drive and it is set to the hard drive. I've also done the SMC reset and that didn't help either.

When I mentioned that it was just internet type applications that took forever to respond, I was mistaken. It is pretty much every thing that doesn't respond for a minute or 2. I can move the mouse using the track pad, but when I click on anything, even the menu where the Apple logo, I get no response or the beach ball.

KeenMetal

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2007
I've had a slow wake from sleep that took a minute or two several times as well, but over the last few weeks all has been normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.