Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
Basically those hard clients everyone shares with their designer friends, well my client (not really) is my family. They just tell me to do things that you will not believe. Like my brother is mad someone is charging him to make a logo for 300 bucks. He doesn't want to pay him if he already gave the idea what the logo is. Yeah thats another post but I want to give my family something that makes them understand what graphic designers go through more, like the way we think, attitude, how we view things and so on. Been searching on Amazon but no luck. Sometimes coming from work dealing with stupidity I am meet with more stupidity at home with my family thinking I design with just my two index fingers and draw.

Thank you,
Rene Martin

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Frankly, if they can't appreciate the work you put into being a designer, then nothing you can get them is going to change their minds (or even interest them).

It's always had working for family and friends. I tend to try to avoid it.

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
$300? Try at least $5,000 plus if you need to do copyright searches to make sure you won't get sued for your logo. Some companies have been known to invest upwards to $50,000 (wish I could land a few of those....aloha Hawaii)

If it's a quicky for something small-time, then $300 isn't that bad.

prs986

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2007
Central CA, USA
Print this out and give it to your family and friends. So true.......

Attachments

• 529061_3c17fcf72a.jpg
    529061_3c17fcf72a.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 366

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
NO-SPEC!

But seriously if they know what they want out of a logo tell them to save the money and do it themselves... See how far they will get without a professional.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
NO-SPEC!

But seriously if they know what they want out of a logo tell them to save the money and do it themselves... See how far they will get without a professional.

In an ideal world, you're exactly right.

However, I've noticed that people will spend what they consider to be an excruciating amount of time (an hour) on matching Comic Sans with a piece of clip art from Word, call it a logo, and actually be quite proud of the "hard work" they put into it.

I'm not sure of your family dynamic here - that tends to really complicate things - but you could try asking them for one of their services at an obnoxiously lowball price and see how they react.

-----------------------

Without going into the full rant, I truly believe graphic designers should be accredited and licensed, just like electricians and contractors. I fear people with Microsoft Publisher and no professional experience lowballing design bids and giving people a 256 color GIF as their logo.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Without going into the full rant, I truly believe graphic designers should be accredited and licensed, just like electricians and contractors. I fear people with Microsoft Publisher and no professional experience lowballing design bids and giving people a 256 color GIF as their logo.

I completely agree, there needs to be an industry accreditation like the Trades' Mans Gold Card (In Australia a fews years back for the building industry) and Master Builders Association. These organistions really did help build the the standard and quality of the Australian building industry and I feel Graphic Design in general needs a similar idea.

I think it was save time effort and get clients a little more serious about what a designer needs to be for an organisation.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah

I completely agree, there needs to be an industry accreditation like the Trades' Mans Gold Card (In Australia a fews years back for the building industry) and Master Builders Association. These organistions really did help build the the standard and quality of the Australian building industry and I feel Graphic Design in general needs a similar idea.

I think it was save time effort and get clients a little more serious about what a designer needs to be for an organisation.

AMEN!!! I also agree! I was studying landscape architecture before finding a more desirable career path, and you have to have a license in order to practice as a landscape architect. You can technically still do a lot of the same work, just usually for a lot less money. There are certain privileges that come with being licensed. You can't work on anything commercial without a license. You can only do certain designs without it. I think it should be the same with graphic design to a certain extent.

newwavedave

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2004
Tampa, FL
e and see how they react.

-----------------------

I've been saying this for 10 years now. Unfortunately, Graphic Artists are a lazy procrastinating lott and I fear this will never happen in my lifetime.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
kitki83
Sometimes coming from work dealing with stupidity I am meet with more stupidity at home with my family thinking I design with just my two index fingers and draw.

I feel your pain. I was asked to paint for someone this past summer for their family room. Knowing I went to school for Fine Art/Painting I was happy that someone thought to ask for such a request…until I talked with them more. They said, hey we got all these cool colors for you to work with and you have absolute control of the creation (Great)! Could you do it in a days time as well? So this set the alarm off. After a few more minutes I found out they wanted the walls painted, yeah painted. Not a painting, not a fresco but just a nice clean-up from white walls. I gladly gave them the "true" meaning of a BFA and said to myself, just because they live in a 3500 square foot home doesn't mean they know certain things that others do or should.
Yes I was twisted but at least this wasn't part of my business or one that would effect my artwork down the road. People just don't understand what is involved with logo's and the process behind them. I was even told by one person, you know I don't care the how or why just make it look nice :mad: Sure thing just sign off on less hours required and a few other expenses and so on. Gave it to the lawyer to protect myself, gave them what they wanted in writting minus my design and why. A year later they got sued for copyright and had to give up "their" design and I was not held liable. They also didn't know how to read the papers from the lawyer(s) mine and theirs.
Last are the one's who are like look, I did this in Word or with clip art last-night can you just clean it up or give it a little more (yeah does someone have a lighter on them, that will add all sorts of color and clean it up just right!) I'm glad I don't do it for a living cause I'd be really poor not to mention people don't like to be "shown" how dumb they can be at times when it's not needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.