Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Hello Everyone,

It took me 4 hours to actually work out a way on how to do this. I know this forum is actually for MAC users but nevermind.

I know I am not the only who had problems with jailbreaking their 1.1.2 out of the box iPhone. Will work with any country version. It is quite a long process but if you are a windows user and can find a better way then please let me know lol.

So lets get started. I would give you screenshots but that means formatting my device which I really do not want to do.

Step 1
To start with we need to downgrade the 1.1.2 firmware on the iPhone to 1.1.1. You will need to download this file from:

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...927.In76t/iPhone1,1_1.1.1_3A109a_Restore.ipsw

Right now we have done this you basically need to make it show iTunes detects the iPhone in recovery mode. This is done by the following way. You have to told down the sleep/wake button and the home button at the same time until the screen goes black. Once it goes black you need to let go of the sleep/wake button and keep hold of the home button until you PC bleeps and it should start in recovery mode in iTunes. When doing this make sure it is actually connected to your computer in the cradle.

Step 2
Now you have done that you need to make sure that iTunes says it is in recovery mode and you need to hold down the "shift key" and click on restore. It will open up a window and you need to locate your 1.1.1 restore file you downloaded and click on "okay". It will start restoring your iPhone. Once this is done it should error with a 1015 which is fine.

Step 3
This is the pain in the ass step for us windows users because mac users use a program called independence which is only available for Mac whereas we are going to use a program called Apptappinstaller which is suppose to be used for version 1.0.2 but will work on 1.1.1 because I have done it about 6 times.

http://rapidshare.com/files/74086365/AppTappInstaller.rar

Before you open up this software you need to make sure iTunes is completely shut down. You do this by opening up task manager (ctrl + alt + del) and go to processes and kill the iTuneshelper.exe process and close Task Manager.

Once you have this software extract it with winrar and open up the exe.

Now it is open you need to click on the continue button and select the 1.0.2 version and press on "install". It will start to download the 1.0.2 firmware but do not worry it will not install it on your device. You have to go through the download though. Once it has finished it will open a command prompt and will boot up the iPhone from recovery mode and you will get the activation screen come up.

Do not worry that it will tell you it has failed at the end because it obviously has not if the iPhone is booting up. Exit the installer and we will continue.

Step 4
We are now going to install Appsnapp with the 1.1.1 software which is the easiest way to do it. you can take your iPhone out of your cradle and you need to make sure you have the sim card that you got with the phone in the device.

Step 5. Slide to make emergency call. Press “*#307#”. It will start ringing.

Step 6. Clear all the numbers by pressing “x”. Enter “0″, press “call”, than press “answer”.

Step 7. Press “Hold”, than it will ring again. Press “Decline”. It will show you the contact list.

winunlock03.png

Step 8. Add a new contact. Choose to “add new URL”. Enter “prefs:”. Add one more home url, this time enter “jailbreakme.com”. Save all the informations.

jailbreakme.png

Step 9. Click the “home page”, it will pop up the settings now. Connect to the Wi-Fi connections that you wish for. (same IP range with notebook computer. how to do it? Just make sure iPhone and notebook are connected with same Wi-Fi AP station.). Also, make sure it will not go to sleep mode by going into General > Auto Lock > Never.

Step 10.Press home button to go back to the “activate iPhone” screen. Slide for emergency, and press “0″ to call. Answer the call than hold the call. It will ring again. Than, press decline and you will go back to contact list.

Step 11. Select the contact we created in Step 8. This time, press the home that is “http://jailbreakme.com” to let the Safari open it. Scroll down and choose to install the AppSnapp.

jailbreakme02.png

Step 12. Your Safari will crash and go back to the “Activate iPhone” screen. Do not touch the iPhone or any other buttons now.

Once this has done it will reboot itself and instead of saying slide for emergency it will say slide to unlock :) which means we have bypassed the activation.

If you are having problems with this step like everyone else seems to be doing aswell as I have had about 30 emails sent to me on the matter do not worry. Just because the screen goes black does not mean that it has turned itself off that is just on standby. If the device does not show the apploe logo come up within a minute then do a manual reboot by keeping hold of the sleep/wake button until the slide to power off comes up which you slide. Once this has done turn the device back on and then after about 10 seconds it shout restart itself. If it does not restart itself then keep trying this step. It just requires a bit of patience and you will be fine.

Also another tip from Kjarva on getting through step 12 is:

Before you go to jailbreakme.com by using the *#307# method put your phone back into the cradle and open up itunes until it sees your iphone and the screen is talking about activating your phone. then while the phone is still in the cradle go to the jailbreakme site and install appsnap. Reboot your pc (as itunes will keep up the registration screen until a pc reboot) then follow the rest of the steps in the guide.

Now we need to upgrade to version 1.1.2

Step 13.
Now you will see you have a program called Installer on your iPhones desktop. Tap to open thisand it should come up with refreshing sources. Once it has doen this click donate later and then click on the install icon on the bottom left.

It will come up with a list and you need to go down to Tweeks 1.1.1. Tap it and install something called oktoprep. Once you have done this tap the home button and then attach it your computer.

Step 13. Open up iTunes and click on the update button to update it to version 1.1.2. Do not worry the oktoprep files stay on the device which allow us to jailbreak again.

You will need to download the following while that is updating and extract it:

http://rapidshare.com/files/74094860/1.1.2-jailbreak.rar

Once iTunes has finished updating your iPhone it will come up with the activation screen again. Do not worry. Just exit iTunes fully ending the process again in task manager aswell. Now you need to locate where you have extracted the 1.1.2-jailbreak.rar file and open the folder and open the windows.bat file.

It will come up with a command prompt windows and will come up with a box where you need to tick the install ssh box and then click on the jailbreak. The alpine password will be correct so leave as is.

You leave the process to finish and it will tell you that the iPhone will reboot in 10 seconds.

Once this is all done you have completed the process and are ready to go.

If you have any issues either email sambates@3020.co.uk or add me to msn with the same address.

Hope this helps

tariqmc

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
Windsor, UK
Stuck at 12

Hi, Good guide. I tried it this morning but got stuck at step 12. Am I meant to have the phone in its cradle all this time? It did reboot once but then the screen went off (off off as opposed to blank) and it didn't look like it would be able to come back on. When I turned it on there was no installer icon so I tried the jailbreakme.com step again but that didn't work. I've now restored back to 1.1.2 un jailbroken.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Griffy

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
Done all of this and is great but how do i use my Orange sim card in the iPhone?
As it stats "Incorrect SIM, This iPhone muse be used with an approved SIM"
Griff

Griffy

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
o well will just use 1.1.1 :) just need to find the 1.1.1 jailbreak..

Once you do step 12 i got the Itunes logo with connecter still but used a program called iPhuc Windows and used these commands then was able to complete the process
iPhuc and issue the following commands:
cmd setenv auto-boot true
cmd saveenv
cmd fsboot

Griff

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Thanks for your guide! Regarding Step 3, how long should apptappinstaller take to boot the phone out of recovery mode?

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Sometimes you find that when you do the jailbreakme.com it does not allows reboot it for you. Try letting it go to the activate screen and wait a minute and do a normal restart on the phone. Not a hard reboot but a normal turn off and on.

Please post your comments about the guide everyone

lamsik

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2006
There is no OTB (out of the box) unlock for the 1.1.2

These phones use the new boot loader (version 4.6) so this method will absolutely not work.

This method is used for phones that have boot loader 3.9. For anyone that accidently upgraded to 1.1.2 and attempting to fix their phone or for people that want to upgrade to 1.1.2 for some of the added features.

Which in my opinion is not that much. Currently i noticed that the keyboard responsiveness is quicker and the iphone seems to be slightly smoother.

Besides that, 1.1.1 will do fine.

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
I know there is no unlock but it can still be jailbroken and used on any o2 sim card

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
you dont need the bootloader version for this jailbreak. Will work on all. But you can find it out from going to settings then go to general and then about. Scroll to the bottom and it is the bottom reading

lamsik

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2006
if you haven't jailed broken your iphone yet.

you could follow the steps, except for the use of anysim to unlock the phone, installing ssh. ssh to your iphone, upload bbupdater, can be found on the internet. type the following while connected to the phone:

launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist
./bbupdater -v

OR

with some research, you could probably figure out what week apple started shipping their phones out with the new boot loader and firmware.

Your serial number are made of the components below.

Digits 1 to 3 (7T7) = Year / Batch code
Digits 4 to 5 (27) = Week of manufacture
Digits 6 to 8 (XZY) = Unique identifier part of the S/N
Digits 9 to 11 (WH8) = 8Gb model

i thought you could just run the field and find out but seems that the field test only shows you the firmware version. if you want to take a look, go to your number pad and enter the following:

*3001#12345#*

then call.

hope that helped a little bit.

dabrit999

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
Guys a legend

Just to note, the guide works absolutely perfectly, each step if u read it clearly is really easy to understand

i got stuck around the end regarding the .Bat file, added the guy to msn and he helped talk me thru each stage and highlighted any potential problems. This guide should be stickied.

Cant say thanks enough :D The guys a legend, ta very much

pedroistheman

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2007
so if a 1.1.2 retail is downgraded to 1.1.1 via downloading 1.1.1 and holding shift, restoring etc. can't you just use jailbreakme.com like with othere 1.1.1 iphones?

tariqmc

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
Windsor, UK
Hi, Managed to jailbreak and install the apps I wanted. I got stuck at 12 but the jailbreakme.com faqs said that you may need a reboot at this point:

"4. My phone is still at the "Activate now" screen, why?

If your phone doesn't show up as activated after you run AppSnapp, please reboot your phone."

Oh and I also got stuck on the last jailbreak step because I didn't have java installed.

Thanks for the guide.

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
it only took me half the day but I finally got my 1.1.2 downgraded and jailbroken!

For some reason, this method works better than others i've tried. The others work, but they left my phone buggy and crashy.

my phone is stable so far, so i'm hoping this method did the trick.

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Thank you all for your comments. Took me 4 hours to firgure out this method of doing it. Hope it works for you all.

And yes you can jailbreak like any other 1.1.1 iphone. It is just the actual unlocking to all networks that will not work because of the baseband

nekola15p

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2007
i cant connect to jailbreakme.com on safari .........................i cant connect to Free Public WiFi on iphone............i do not have any other wireless internet
in range........................PLEASE HELP

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
The only possible way to do it is through wifi. What I recommend is that you go for a walk down the street and see if anyone has no security on their wireless. The range on the iphone is very good because while i am at work i can connect to a wireless point in someones house. Also if you live in or near a big town or city there should be some wireless hot spots around. I hope this helps

shinjinami

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2007
Stuck

I'm a little stuck. I got to step 11 and my phone connects to jailbreakme easy but I dont see the install appsnapp. I know you cannot see it usually when you go via your pc but I'm using my iPhone. Any help will be great. Thanks, great guide by the way.

NOT TOO WORRY. TODAY IT ACTUALLY SHOES IT. THANKS.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
This method worked perfect for me, this really was easy to use and the step by step instructions were exact,

after step 12, once safari closed and went back to the main screen, my phone would not auto re-boot and it stayed at Slide for Emergency... so I followed sam3020 tip of manually turning off the phone then back on, and it worked great...

thanks

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Thank you for your comment and i am really glad that it worked for you :D

shinjinami

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2007
now i have another problem. when i run the windows.bat file in step13 the window just flashes for a split second and disappears. any help on this? thanks again.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
now i have another problem. when i run the windows.bat file in step13 the window just flashes for a split second and disappears. any help on this? thanks again.

you need to have Java installed on your computer, this was the first mistake I did last month when I first upgraded to 1.1.2, I kept thinking it was my computer not wanting to run windows.bat until last night when I found this post I realized i didn't have java installed, so I installed it and windows.bat ran perfectly...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.