3rd party widgets: ideas and which are you most looking forward to?

miamialley

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Orange County, California
I think I’m most looking forward to sports score widgets. I mean, it’ll also be great when there are sports....

Also looking forward to social media widgets. The only thing I see missing from Apple’s implementation of widgets is they should allow 1x2 widgets. The weather widget, for example, can only get as small as 2x2 which shows a lot of empty space.

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2010
Right here...
I didn't even think about how useful sports scores would be. I typically use the Google app for that since I have "cards" saved with my favorite teams. But they're not always right at the top. Even widgets for particular team apps...would put those on the main page during the season to access those.

EDIT: I almost forgot about stacking same sized widgets...just stack all the teams you want to closely follow and flip through the widgets to see the scores, news, whatever. Damn...getting excited now...

gwhizkids

macrumors 603
Jun 21, 2013
How about things like order statuses? I order something from Amazon and the widget keeps me up to date on its status throughout the shipping process (probably a bad example, as Amazon will probably not do this for competitive reasons).

Dominos now has a pizza tracker. That would make a great widget.

MozMan68

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2010
Right here...
How about things like order statuses? I order something from Amazon and the widget keeps me up to date on its status throughout the shipping process (probably a bad example, as Amazon will probably not do this for competitive reasons).

Dominos now has a pizza tracker. That would make a great widget.
...or in that vein, a countdown clock on their widget to let you know when your order is ready. Ordered from my local Thai place last night and set a timer just to remind me when to leave to pick it up. Would be helpful as a reminder as well for delivery.

evere13tt

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2018
Canada
TheScore and ESPN have another great opportunity with widgets but based on what they've offered so far in the Today view I'm not optimistic.

All I'm talking about is a good-looking scoreboard, that's all I want.

mac_head

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2020
Nike Training Club, providing a quick look at my next workout and estimated workout time would be cool.
Also: a real health widget which can be customized to show hydration, heartrate, caffeine stats etc.

MozMan68

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2010
Right here...
Likely yes. Typically 3rd party app updates start being released about a week before the OS.
Not true at all...no updated app is ever released before public release of the update.

Day of? Sure...but many that do not have the ability to do their own widespread beta testing sometimes take up to a week or two to update.

Some hold back simply because they do not have the resources outside of making sure the app is updated just to work as at did before and either do not add new features or may wait months to include (hello “dark mode”...still waiting on 90% of the apps I use).

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Not true at all...no updated app is ever released before public release of the update.
Not true at all. There have been numerous examples in the past. I’ve released my own apps as well. So long as they also support prior ios versions it works fine, and xcode has #if available(os version) meta statement support for that purpose.

gwhizkids

macrumors 603
Jun 21, 2013
Not true at all. There have been numerous examples in the past. I’ve released my own apps as well. So long as they also support prior ios versions it works fine, and xcode has #if available(os version) meta statement support for that purpose.
And anecdotally, we see this every year, usually within 3-5 days of the release of the new iOS version (after the GM is released with the final APIs)

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
I think I’m most looking forward to sports score widgets. I mean, it’ll also be great when there are sports....

Also looking forward to social media widgets. The only thing I see missing from Apples implementation of widgets is they should allow 1x2 widgets. The weather widget, for example, can only get as small as 2x2 which shows a lot of empty space.
But the widgets don't really update in real time, so not sure how useful a sports score app is going to be if it doesn't update the sports scores.

gwhizkids

macrumors 603
Jun 21, 2013
But the widgets don't really update in real time, so not sure how useful a sports score app is going to be if it doesn't update the sports scores.
I think there is some confusion about how widgets update. See below for Apple's Developer documentation on this. From my (admittedly quick) scan of this, I think sports scores can be updated periodically, say, every 5 minutes or so, to provide near real time info. As you'll see if you read through the materials, it is even possible to create a dynamic clock face with a moving second hand. If that's possible, then its certainly possible to have near-real time sports scores displayed.

Let me know if anyone can't read this (its an Apple Developer page). If so, I'll reproduce portions of it here.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The updating is buggy, but, yes, they should be able to update in real time. I wrote a widget yesterday and saw how it works (when it works and doesn't randomly stop working).

The idea is that the developer creates a timeline, with scheduled updates. At the end of the timeline, the system is supposed to ask for a new timeline. So, for example, if you are a sports score app, you might know there are no games for a couple of days, so you might say "here's what to display. come back and ask me again in 6 hours." But *during* a game you can set the thing to update once every couple of seconds, if you want.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
I think there is some confusion about how widgets update. See below for Apple's Developer documentation on this. From my (admittedly quick) scan of this, I think sports scores can be updated periodically, say, every 5 minutes or so, to provide near real time info. As you'll see if you read through the materials, it is even possible to create a dynamic clock face with a moving second hand. If that's possible, then its certainly possible to have near-real time sports scores displayed.

Let me know if anyone can't read this (its an Apple Developer page). If so, I'll reproduce portions of it here.
Thanks.

TimFL1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
Germany

Day of? Sure...but many that do not have the ability to do their own widespread beta testing sometimes take up to a week or two to update.

Some hold back simply because they do not have the resources outside of making sure the app is updated just to work as at did before and either do not add new features or may wait months to include (hello “dark mode”...still waiting on 90% of the apps I use).
Pretty sure you can submit updates a week before the release hits and they can also arrive on the store before then.

MozMan68

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2010
Right here...
Pretty sure you can submit updates a week before the release hits and they can also arrive on the store before then.
Okay...but to be clear, they will not work on iOS 14 unless you have the final release installed (either developer release a few days before or on the day of release for the general public)...otherwise, it's just an iOS 13 app. No one has access to an iOS 14 app or benefits like new widgets for example unless they are on the beta...and even then, no more than 3-5 days typically before release...and that's still rare for most "popular" apps.

Reactions: gwhizkids

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Okay...but to be clear, they will not work on iOS 14 unless you have the final release installed (either developer release a few days before or on the day of release for the general public)...otherwise, it's just an iOS 13 app. No one has access to an iOS 14 app or benefits like new widgets for example unless they are on the beta...and even then, no more than 3-5 days typically before release...and that's still rare for most "popular" apps.
Wrong again. My developer phone always is running beta, and about a week before each major release apps start getting released that do, indeed, have all their new features enabled.

About a week or two before the OS release, apple permits developers to submit apps that use the new OS. Developers can choose if they want to hold back the release, but otherwise they are released (subject to passing review) a few days before the OS release, and they work just fine on every device running the beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.