Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone5c1-250x214.jpg
KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo issued a note to investors on Wednesday, a copy of which was obtained by MacRumors, reiterating that Apple is unlikely to launch a new 4-inch iPhone this year. Kuo, who has a respectable track record at reporting on Apple's upcoming product plans, added that Apple will instead likely release a new 4-inch iPhone with Apple Pay compatibility in 2016.
"iPhone 5S still going strong; next 4-inch likely in 2016. Shipments of 5S are still going strong at 5-7mn units every quarter, an impressive level at such a mature stage of the product cycle. Momentum is being sustained by a more affordable price and the product's outstanding design. But we still believe it's necessary for Apple to have a new 4-inch iPhone because: (1) it will be key to extending momentum in the 4-inch category; and (2) it could complete the Apple Pay ecosystem, assuming it is equipped with NFC. We predict a launch in 2016."
The well-informed analyst claims that the iPhone 5c will likely reach the end of its product cycle later this year, with the iPhone 5s becoming the new entry-level device in Apple's smartphone lineup once the so-called "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus" are released this September. For now, the oft-rumored "iPhone 6c," speculated to be an iPhone 5s with plastic casing, is not planned.

Kuo first expressed doubt that Apple will release a new 4-inch iPhone this year in a note to investors obtained by MacRumors earlier this month, in which he claimed that Apple is still targeting 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models for its next-generation iPhones. Sketchy rumors and leaked images of the purported "iPhone 6c" began picking up in March, but few specific details about the rumored smartphone have surfaced.

Foxconn is expected to be the primary manufacturer of the 4-inch iPhone in 2016.

Article Link: Apple Unlikely to Release New 4-Inch iPhone This Year, New Low-End Model Expected in 2016

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I have a feeling a lot of people will grab a 6 or 6+ if it's at the current pricing of the 5S in September..

Unless of the 6s & 6s+ bring something more significant to the table than a camera upgrade.

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Outstanding design is the key. Im sure many, like myself, are annoyed by Apples new phablets and prefer the much better looking 5S even if it is weaker. Screw NFC and other new features if those huge, ugly ass iphones are required.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
I have a feeling a lot of people will grab a 6 or 6+ if it's at the current pricing of the 5S in September..

Unless of the 6s & 6s+ bring something more significant to the table.

2GB of RAM is significant. The current 1GB is a joke, and will obsolete those devices quicker than they should be.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Still betting on the 4 inch phones going the way of 3.5 inch phones. And will be phased out when the iphone 7 hits the market.

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Why not come back with a premium 4' design that's introduced with the same materials as the 4.7' and 5.5' sizes?

Full prices for the 2016 lineup -

4' - $600 ($149 with new two year)
4.7' - $650 ($199 with new two year)
5.5' - $750 ($299 with new year)

Why does the smallest size need to use the cheapest materials?

terencedriver

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2015
Jobs didn't join the race to the bottom.

He used to say 'we don't know how to make a good $500 laptop so we don't'.

I suspect he would never have allowed these cheap plastic ugly devices.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I thought 3.5" was perfect. We all saw those pictures that showed it was perfect for thumb coverage throughout the screen. I was hesitant to get a 4" iPhone, but it was good after some getting used to. I dreaded the thought of the iPhone 6 and 6 plus. Neither was going to be a one handed device anymore. Since the regular 6 couldn't really be used with one hand easily either, I said screw it I'll just get the 6 plus then.

I have one now, and I love it. You'll never pry it out of my hands! What we use our phones for now is different from when the screen size was 3.5". And when we had 3.5" devices, the iPad felt necessary. But now with these bigger screens on an iPhone, I used my iPad Mini less and less. I ended up just giving it to my girlfriend.

Nothing wrong with having an iPad with a 6 Plus! Just saying I am happy with a 6 Plus and a Mac, for me personally. The size grew on me and I don't want to go back to smaller.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
2GB of RAM is significant. The current 1GB is a joke, and will obsolete those devices quicker than they should be.

How many iPhone owners do you think will pay 100 dollars more for another GB of ram?

This is the problem with MacRumors, no one thinks outside their own market.

You are on forum dedicated to technology company and odds are many on MR are more technically savy than 90% of the people who buy iPhones.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
So is a new 4-inch iPhone due in 2015 or 2016?

Maybe I'm reading the article wrong but I see conflicting information.

Edit: I was reading it wrong. Misread "unlikely" as "likely".

ninjadex

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Well that would be disappointing.

The upgraded screen real estate on the iPhone 6 just isn't enough to justify the size difference in your hand and pocket, IMO. This is after using one since release.

The 6 + on the other hand has it's own place.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
its amazing how fast u adjust to something. first my 5 seemed big after the 3.5 now my 6 seemed huge and it makes my old 5 look like a tamagochi toy. after a few months i also got used to the 6 and regret not getting the 6+

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
The 5c is a smart phone. A lot more colourful than the others and you don't need to use a case to hold it comfortably. I see quite a few people using them.

Probably update the design and release the 6c next year at the same time as the 7 and 7+. That way the c model is always 1 design behind.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Too bad. I would have traded my 5S for one. I like the size. My wife has the 6 but I prefer the smaller one. Guess I'll have to wait a year.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Oh I get it! Post one rumor where they are releasing it and then post one rumor where they aren't releasing it and then you'll be right either way.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Just for a moment I thought this was a rumour about the iPod until I read on. Those were the days.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Awesome. Big screens are the present and future, I'm glad Apple finally woke up this year. Loving my 6+, my old 5 looks tiny in comparison.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
I returned my 6 after two days. Far too big and uncomfortable to use, especially compared to the beautifully designed 5S. I'm amazed Apple sacrificed usability for this pointlessly giant screen in your pocket :rolleyes:

Oh well, I'll hold onto my 5S until their next 4 inch phone.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I have this theory. The bigger your smartphone screen, the more likely you are to buy a smartwatch.

Also, I think people are likely to buy a smartwatch of the same brand as their smartphone for maximum compatibility.

If this theory is true, it is in smartphone manufacturers interest to push bigger phones in order to compel the purchase of a smartwatch. Thus, there is a disincentive to making a smaller-screen smartphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.