Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhodan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2007
Can one jog with a Classic or isn't it a good idea ? I heard the Nano's were recommended for jogging because of the flash memory ? Anybody know more about this ?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I had a 2nd generation one that would lock up in the middle of a run. You don't need a ton of music when you run or watch videos. A few hours of music should be enough and there is nothing wrong with hearing music twice for people that can run all day.

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
I run with my 5G iPod. It may die tomorrow, but so far it works. I have an arm band that I use with it. I run about 3 miles every other day with no problems.

I did just buy a Nano though, but that wasn't to run with, but I likely will just to be safe.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I don't think anyone will doubt that a flash based player is better than a hard drive player, but I think that argument tends to be overblown a bit. There are no skip problems that i have encountered with hard drive based iPods, and jogging is very little "trauma" to the unit itself. Could it have a bad effect? Perhaps. Is it likely that your hard drive based iPod will be significantly harmed by jogging with it? Probably not unless you drop it on concrete repeatedly :p

More action sports I would definitely go with a Nano or Shuffle, but jogging is not stressful on the system from my experience so you shouldn't really worry.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I don't think anyone will doubt that a flash based player is better than a hard drive player, but I think that argument tends to be overblown a bit. There are no skip problems that i have encountered with hard drive based iPods, and jogging is very little "trauma" to the unit itself. Could it have a bad effect? Perhaps. Is it likely that your hard drive based iPod will be significantly harmed by jogging with it? Probably not unless you drop it on concrete repeatedly :p

More action sports I would definitely go with a Nano or Shuffle, but jogging is not stressful on the system from my experience so you shouldn't really worry.

lol i disagree. anything as delicate as a spinning harddrive should not be subjected to a constant jarring. thats just asking for trouble

once again you are MUCH better off using a solid state device (aka no moving parts) than a hd player in which the hd spins at like 4200rpms that has a tracking head to read the data for running purposes...

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I've run with my 5G iPod every other day of so for nearly 2 years. No problems at all.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
The iPod Classic is made for running, there really is no danger in using it for this purpose. The Nano is just smaller.

I mean c'mon, you don't think Apple thought of this from the get-go?

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
The iPod Classic is made for running, there really is no danger in using it for this purpose.

I don't know that your statement is true at all. While I don't doubt you can run with it or shake it around, I don't believe it was "made for running" and, as previously stated, running with a HD based player is probably a bad idea.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
The iPod Classic is made for running, there really is no danger in using it for this purpose. The Nano is just smaller.

lol show me a link stating this please as i doubt it.

i mean my car is not made for snow and im sure toyota envisioned people having to drive in snow too at times lol. just like the classic is not made for jogging yet some people will use it for that

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I'm so absolute about the 'running' comment based on two things.
1) I've truly never heard of people breaking an iPod due to just running with it.
2) That a lot of people on here get so scared of doing anything with a full-size iPod. Like running.

I have plenty of faith that an iPod is not going to break just from having it in your hand while running. I guess I should retract that it is 'made for running', but that statement is made to balance out all of the people who are scared to death of their gadgets. These devices have buffers and caches built-in. That hard drive is not constantly moving.

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
i can vouch for the drop on concrete = dead iPod theory. I wasn't even jogging, just walking, but it slipped, hit the concrete and never worked again. :( very sad actually...but i didn't cry over spilled milk, i just bought a new one.

-JE

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I'm so absolute about the 'running' comment based on two things.
1) I've truly never heard of people breaking an iPod due to just running with it.
2) That a lot of people on here get so scared of doing anything with a full-size iPod. Like running.

I have plenty of faith that an iPod is not going to break just from having it in your hand while running. I guess I should retract that it is 'made for running', but that statement is made to balance out all of the people who are scared to death of their gadgets. These devices have buffers and caches built-in. That hard drive is not constantly moving.

Apple introduced the Nike+ feature and their own arm bands for Nanos only to encourage people to buy Nanos for running. They do not endorse the use of HDD based iPods for running. I even remember being told this when I worked Apple retail. We would have people come in with hard drive problems and say all they do is run with it. We told them THAT might have been the problem, and it's quite possible it was. While you CAN run with HDD based iPods, I would avoid it. They're heavier anyway, don't work with Nike+, and are more prone to failure when you run with them.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
Apple introduced the Nike+ feature and their own arm bands for Nanos only to encourage people to buy Nanos for running. They do not endorse the use of HDD based iPods for running. I even remember being told this when I worked Apple retail. We would have people come in with hard drive problems and say all they do is run with it. We told them THAT might have been the problem, and it's quite possible it was. While you CAN run with HDD based iPods, I would avoid it. They're heavier anyway, don't work with Nike+, and are more prone to failure when you run with them.

i just wish shuffles and touches could use the nike kit

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
I had an old ipod, 1st Gen, then a 2nd Gen that I ran with, both with harddrives, and both over time began to act up. I know it was the jogging for sure, so I got an iPod stick for like $10 somewhere (ebay or something) and just put my jogging music on that.

splashtech

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
My classic - although newish - is fine. I do not run with it, but I quite often use it in the car, in a mount for a mobile phone on the windscreen. I imagine it gets a bit of bounce and judder transmitted through that, but its been ok so far and I hope it will continue to be for a while to come (until they release larger flash-based devices) :)

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California

The only HD mp3 I ever really saw closely being designed for running was the Sony HD3 and HD5, both of which were using an anti-shock technology in the HD to minimize damage, but even then it wasn't recommended to run with. Apple is not using that or they would be touting it.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
They're heavier anyway, don't work with Nike+, and are more prone to failure when you run with them.

They really aren't that heavy, and I know I'm only one guy, but have never had problems with running with the iPod (1G and Classic). Not that this is the strongest point of evidence in the world. Sure Apple might not advertise they are meant to be used while jogging, but I've never seen Apple say NOT to run with them (other than the secrets you retail folk might know).

I feel like we are getting no where with this one. Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.