Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
I know at times we "all" yell and scream at our Macs when things seem to be getting all weird and something simple as a restart fixes it but we sometimes think even that is too much trouble. Sometimes we even complain about certain features Apple put in Leopard.
Well today I realized that I do sometimes take my awesome Mac OS X computer for granted.
I just downloaded a short film from the web and it was a zipped file so I unzipped it and it was a .EXE file. So I fired up VMware Fusion and started up XP and dragged the file over to Windows.
I got an install screen for some reason:eek: and then it said, "YOUR GAME IS INSTALLING", what game?, it was a movie clip.
Then when I declined the install another messaged popped up saying, "THANKS FOR INSTALLING OUR TOOLBAR". I couldn't do anything about that and then after all of this a message popped up in the bottom right corner saying, "You've just installed Spyware on your computer and your computer is no longer safe".

I didn't realize how much I love Mac OS X for not giving me such a horrible experience as in Windows. People say Windows has gotten better but nothing has changed.
Anyone else sometimes take their Mac for granted?

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Sometimes I get really pissed off with OS X. When that happens I reboot in Vista and start getting those annoying 'cancel or allow' dialogs. I seriously thought that was an exaggeration, but I guess it's not.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
You downloaded a strange file from the internet that turned out to be an executable, which you then chose to install to your computer. How is this anything besides your fault? When last did you need to install a movie file (on any operating system) for it to work? Or are you implying we need our Macs to protect us from ourselves?

jwkicks

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
I smell what your stepping in. I have had macs for years now and dont even think about windows but then I got the urge to install vista on my mac..... I had it on there about ohhhh... 1 day.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
You downloaded a strange file from the internet that turned out to be an executable, which you then chose to install to your computer. How is this anything besides your fault? When last did you need to install a movie file (on any operating system) for it to work? Or are you implying we need our Macs to protect us from ourselves?

Wow, relax man, you totally are not getting me, it was just an example of what we have to through when using Windows. You can get self-installing toolbars by just visiting safe websites and acquiring spyware doing the same thing, it's not just about installing an executable file, I wasn't really complaining about it.
I just realize how I tend to criticize my Mac for the spinning beachball that I hate and Stacks not being perfect when it's still a much safer and less maintenance experience then when using Windows.

If you've been a Windows user in the past and then switch to a Mac and use it for years you tend to forget how retarded the experience is on Windows but this is not a Windows flame post so be cool. :p

Mr Black

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Wow, relax man, you totally are not getting me, it was just an example of what we have to through when using Windows. You can get self-installing toolbars by just visiting safe websites and acquiring spyware doing the same thing, it's not just about installing an executable file, I wasn't really complaining about it.
I just realize how I tend to criticize my Mac for the spinning beachball that I hate and Stacks not being perfect when it's still a much safer and less maintenance experience then when using Windows.

If you've been a Windows user in the past and then switch to a Mac and use it for years you tend to forget how retarded the experience is on Windows but this is not a Windows flame post so be cool. :p

I think his point is after seeing it was an executable you still opened it. Although OS X is amazing and more secure than some other os' the best defense to keep your system safe and running smoothly is........you! The user using logic/common sense is the best safeguard possible, but in response to the original statement, yes im very happy I use os x especially when I spend any time on vista.:)

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Yes, but after I beat it and force it to make me dinner and other things I always buy it nice flowers and let it know that it just makes me so mad.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Hell no. I spend 50+ hours a week at the office working on an XP box. I never take my Macs for granted.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
I smell what your stepping in. I have had macs for years now and dont even think about windows but then I got the urge to install vista on my mac..... I had it on there about ohhhh... 1 day.
:eek: You only used it for a day, wow expensive trial, or were you able to sell it/return it?

Slip

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Wiltshire, England
Just last night I suddenly realised that after months of wanting a MacBook, I finally had one. I think I got a little washed away in the Leopard/New Mac hoo-hah and it hadn't quite sunk in.
Although, for some tasks I do miss XP (which courtesy of Fusion I can now do) ie, proper MSN, Paint.NET and the software required to transfer songs to my phone

::Lisa::

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
You can get self-installing toolbars by just visiting safe websites and acquiring spyware doing the same thing, it's not just about installing an executable file
EXACTLY! My husband and kids still use PC's and holy goodness. I have to check my husbands every week for viruses and Spyware and the like because of that. I think in that respect I don't take my Mac for granted, I'm still fresh with my Mac and I adore it, it's my baby :D

If you've been a Windows user in the past and then switch to a Mac and use it for years you tend to forget how retarded the experience is on Windows
Yep, I am a former Windows user. Couldn't agree with you more.

deniser

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Cornwall, England

Me too but not quite a day. I don't like sharing my Mac with Windows :D

I'm always being asked to sort friends PC's and most of the time it's because one of the kids have installed malware etc. I ought to start charging !!!!

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I'm happy with it every time I use it. I do feel a bit vendor locked though. What if Apple would descend into a 90s like situation? Well of course with computers that's not really a big problem, as they generally last no longer than 3 years.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Based on the OP's actions I think I will write a small sudo shellscript, mail it to him and ask him to run it.

Your OS of choice is as safe as you allow it to be. Truth be told, you executed an unknown executable file that could just as well have been malware for the Mac as for Windows and you bash Windows for not being a secure OS. You were just lucky this time that not many root malware scripts have been written for the Mac yet.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Due to my extreme familiarity with Windows I don't take Mac for granted. I know what my Mac offers and what it does not. I think it's important to realize this to have a balanced view on certain topics.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
The fact you were stupid enough to run a .exe that appeared in a zip file that you thought contained a movie, tells me that you seem to take the mush between your ears for granted, let alone a mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.