Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pur3h8r3d

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Ok so I am a Mac/Windows user. I miss Cut and Paste as a hot key and as a contextual menu option. Yes I know there are other ways of working and possibly even better ways of working. But for the way I work I would really love to have Cut and Paste. And I know this is a often requested feature for Mac. Is there any apple script, plugin, terminal command, or 3rd party software that I use in order to achieve this? I would really love to have it back and any information would be great. Thank you!

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
I too miss the Cut function in Finder. There is no other reason not to enable it except the personal, irrational attitude of SJ. This is his empire and he and only he knows what everyone else wants.

Most of the time this attitude works, as evidenced by mostly outstanding design and functionality of his products, but the tradeoff is that these products contain quirks that are easily fixable, but they will not be fixed any time soon.

As for the Cut enabler, I recall there might have been a shareware program that did that, but the name escapes me.

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
The OP must be talking about cut/pasting FILES rather than data. I haven't experienced any loss-of-workflow not having that available, but we all work differently.

pur3h8r3d

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Yes I meant I would like to be able to cut and paste within the finder and desktop. Its a simple function and I dont know why they allow you to do it. Especially with a right click of the mouse.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Yes I meant I would like to be able to cut and paste within the finder and desktop. Its a simple function and I dont know why they allow you to do it. Especially with a right click of the mouse.

I can see your frustration, but do you still feel this way even with spring folders? Now that they activate in the Dock, shouldn't moving files be a real breeze?

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
You can copy and paste files in the finder, just not cut and paste. I'm a long time Mac user and overall I greatly prefer OS X to Windows, but you'd have to be a total fanboi to claim that there aren't some few areas where windows is better than Mac. Not being able to cut and paste in the finder is one of these instances.

Not having cut and paste is not a big deal to me, although I'd use it if I had it. The annoying part is that the functionality is clearly already built into OS X since we're able to copy and paste files (which is exactly the same as a cut and paste but with an omitted 'move to trash' command in the script), and Apple have just decided to turn the cut feature off in the Finder.

pur3h8r3d

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
but do you still feel this way even with spring folders?

Spring folders is nice. But I am a photographer do a lot of photo editing and sometimes I end up with folders that are like this

Rhine Wedding -> Pre-Wedding, Ceremony, Formals, Reception, Scenery and Location -> RAW, JPEG, Need to be Edited, Done Editing, Rejects, Advance PS Work

And I tend to usually get a lot of folders, and a lot of times I want to quickly move photos back and forth, or to just different locations. I work pretty quickly and having the option of "Cut and Paste" definitely helps me speed up. Going through spring loaded folders, or opening up a separate finder window can be kinda slow for me. I mean its not a HUGE issue but it helps with convenience and efficiency for me.

iPhil

macrumors 68040

The right click copy option on 2 button mouse is still there: yes on my mouse the left button is main button ..

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 21,945

stupidregister

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
The annoying part is that the functionality is clearly already built into OS X since we're able to copy and paste files (which is exactly the same as a cut and paste but with an omitted 'move to trash' command in the script), and Apple have just decided to turn the cut feature off in the Finder.

No. A move operation is different from a copy operation. Moving changes the file's index, while copying duplicates the bits of the file into a new location. The former is instantaneous. The latter takes time that is proportional to the size of the file.

Moving can already be done by dragging and dropping. And it is strange that it doesn't exist as a keyboard shortcut. I tend to move stuff using the terminal, bypassing Finder altogether.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Spring folders is nice. But I am a photographer do a lot of photo editing and sometimes I end up with folders that are like this

Rhine Wedding -> Pre-Wedding, Ceremony, Formals, Reception, Scenery and Location -> RAW, JPEG, Need to be Edited, Done Editing, Rejects, Advance PS Work

And I tend to usually get a lot of folders, and a lot of times I want to quickly move photos back and forth, or to just different locations. I work pretty quickly and having the option of "Cut and Paste" definitely helps me speed up. Going through spring loaded folders, or opening up a separate finder window can be kinda slow for me. I mean its not a HUGE issue but it helps with convenience and efficiency for me.
Ahh ok. This helps more:
Im not looking for a "Copy" option. I'm looking for a "Cut" option.

So you want it to just go into the trash right? That's in the contextual menu. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you used "cut" for in Windows. :eek:

pur3h8r3d

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
By cut I mean when I select a folder or file(ex. "Pictures" or a single JPEG) and choose "Cut" I can then go to a completely different folder somewhere on my hard drive and then "paste" it. By doing that it will simply move that file or folder from it original location to the new one. Its just like "Click and Drag" without the "Drag"

osirisX

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
You can't do it in OS X. It's as simple as that. There aren't any hacks to enable it either. This has been discussed to death so many times on this forum. Stupidregister mentioned the Terminal, you might want to PM him about it.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
By cut I mean when I select a folder or file(ex. "Pictures" or a single JPEG) and choose "Cut" I can then go to a completely different folder somewhere on my hard drive and then "paste" it. By doing that it will simply move that file or folder from it original location to the new one. Its just like "Click and Drag" without the "Drag"

Oh, now I see. Well I guess the add-ons are your best bet then. :eek:

ploth

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2009
Am I Missing Something - This Is Easy!

You can't do it in OS X. It's as simple as that. There aren't any hacks to enable it either. This has been discussed to death so many times on this forum. Stupidregister mentioned the Terminal, you might want to PM him about it.

You want to move files to another folder without copying ie cut & paste?

Just use finder - drag the file, photo or folder to where you want... the files is moved to the new location (cut & paste).

If you want to ADD the file to a new location you drag the file & hold the option key = a green PLUS sign lights up showing finder will COPY and ADD the contents.

Is my 10.5 working differently to everyone elses or have I totally missed something?

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Is my 10.5 working differently to everyone elses or have I totally missed something?

Your OS X is working the same as everyone else's, but you're missing the fact that in some cases cut and paste file movement is far superior to drag and drop. Lets say you have a folder with 800 files and folders in it. Now you want to move file zeta into folder gamma. With drag and drop you have to click and hold on file zeta, then carefully maneuver the mouse so it scrolls the list of items upwards, and keep doing that slowly until you see the folder that you want, being careful not to overshoot the scrolling past your target folder, and then finally hover the mouse over the target folder and release the mouse click. With cut and paste file movement all you have to do is hit apple-x, type the first couple of letters of the target folder's name, hit apple-o, then apple-v. There are some other methods to move files using drag and drop, but they're all significantly worse than a simple cut and paste.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Try Pathfinder or Forklift mac file manager/finder replacements. I believe they have the ability to cut.

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
I've always found this annoying, but most instances where I want to move files, I have to move a bunch. So I just use the Terminal for that, which gives you a much greater degree of control than the normal "cut and paste" procedure does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.