Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
I bought Tiger pre-Intel macs, and when I buy my new Intel Mac next month I'd like to stick with Tiger. Can I patch the DVD or trade it at an Apple store for a newer disc with the UB installer?

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
There is no UB disc of Tiger, there was never a retail version released for Intel, just packaged with new Intel Macs. Why not use Leopard?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Thats gonna be tough since I believe Tiger was never actually sold for Intel, just packaged with new Intel Macs. Why not use Leopard?

Correct. The retail Tiger discs are for PPC processors only. They will not work on the intel Macs. You will have to get restore discs which are model specific.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
Correct. The retail Tiger discs are for PPC processors only. They will not work on the intel Macs. You will have to get restore discs which are model specific.

Crap! All the new Macs come with Leopard pre-installed. I guess I have to embrace it.

There is no UB disc of Tiger, there was never a retail version released for Intel, just packaged with new Intel Macs. Why not use Leopard?

I just don't like it. Don't like the UI, lot's of people are complaining about a whole multitude of problems (none of which I need), and don't find its additional feature-set over Tiger useful or appealing.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Yup, this is one of the reasons why I got my MB with Tiger. The only way to downgrade if yours came with Leopard is to find restore disks for Tiger Intel iMacs, and there's no telling if they'll be compatible. It's planned obsolescence, just like how new PCs come with Vista, and leave you dangling if you want to downgrade to XP.

jwc on macrumors said:
Crap! All the new Macs come with Leopard pre-installed. I guess I have to embrace it.

meanwhile, in a parallel forum...

bizarrojwc on pcrumors said:
Crap! All the new PCs come with Vista pre-installed. I guess I have to embrace it.

Two heads, same coin.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
just like how new PCs come with Vista, and leave you dangling if you want to downgrade to XP.

Your not "left dangling." All you have to do is buy/obtain an XP install disc, and install it on your PC that came with Vista. There is no technical reason you can't do this. Apple on the other hand has made it basically impossible to Downgrade newer Intel macs to Tiger. (Not that Im complaining since I love Leopard) Just making a point

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Your not "left dangling." All you have to do is buy/obtain an XP install disc, and install it on your PC that came with Vista. There is no technical reason you can't do this. Apple on the other hand has made it basically impossible to Downgrade newer Intel macs to Tiger. (Not that Im complaining since I love Leopard) Just making a point

Sort of. This is NOTHING like the 68040 days or the PowerPC days of 604 and 604e. Back then there really was almost NO way to install system software older then the machine. Anyone recall all those enablers?

But this is less how "Apple is" and more what "Apple does". There have been some MAJOR changes in the Mac platform's hardware. To ensure compatibility there was often a system update accompanying any new hardware, or an enabler. Its all about how tightly Apple integrates the software and hardware. This has also allowed much more control and thus an evolution. This also gives the most "optimized" performance. This is either good or bad depending on how you look at it.

My TiBook from 2002 runs Leopard fine, I also run iPhoto and most any current software from Adobe or Quark just fine. If this was a PC there would be no way to run Vista. But at the same time its a G4, so I get no photo-booth effects and a few other things.

Since the transition to Intel, this integration has loosened a lot, really since OS X even.

So I see no problem with buy a new Mac today and being able to install Tiger. It should go right on until there is a major hardware change.

I am happy with the way Apple has evolved the platform. I still laugh at PCs that come with floppy drives and parallel ports. There has been little evolution on the PC side, just optimizations. At the core, a PC is little different than one from 1990. A Mac on the other had has nothing in common with one from 1990.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Your not "left dangling." All you have to do is buy/obtain an XP install disc, and install it on your PC that came with Vista. There is no technical reason you can't do this.
But don't forget the possible driver issue.

For some it's not much of an issue, for others it can be a real challenge to find the drivers for XP for a particular laptop/desktop PC.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
But don't forget the possible driver issue.

For some it's not much of an issue, for others it can be a real challenge to find the drivers for XP for a particular laptop/desktop PC.

This is what I'm referring to. Most manufacturers stopped writing drivers for XP after Vista came out. Unless you custom order, or buy a laptop with compatible parts (or buy from a manufacturer with legacy support), it's very likely you'll be left high and dry when you try to install XP on your "made for Vista" computer. I've experienced it several times myself, and plenty of horror stories are available on Google.

unity said:
So I see no problem with buy a new Mac today and being able to install Tiger. It should go right on until there is a major hardware change.

This is incorrect, for reasons already mentioned. There is no way to buy an Intel Tiger disk, full stop. A PPC Tiger disk will not install onto an Intel Mac, full stop. The only way to install Tiger on an Intel Mac that didn't come with Tiger preinstalled is to go looking for compatible restore disks.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
This is incorrect, for reasons already mentioned. There is no way to buy an Intel Tiger disk, full stop. A PPC Tiger disk will not install onto an Intel Mac, full stop. The only way to install Tiger on an Intel Mac that didn't come with Tiger preinstalled is to go looking for compatible restore disks.

Yes, I know, that was mentioned earlier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.