Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
If you need some advice..
http://www.barefeats.com/york2.html

"The gains to be had by the GeForce 8800 GT is well worth the $200.."
"The GeForce 8800 GT is *NOT* compatible with the older Mac Pro.."

I liked this article, was interesting and made a lot of sense. It's only $200 extra but you are getting so much more. They also helped many people see that sometimes too much hardware is just overkill. I would hate for someone to spend $5,000 with a Quadro graphics card and they don't use it to their full potential.

One should freakin' know if they need a Quadro or not, there shouldn't be any uncertainty.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The 8800GT is a steal for the upgrade price. The HD 2600XT runs $80-100 on the street and the 8800GT 512MB goes for $280-320.

You're getting the Mac EFI/BIOS version as well! In my opinion there's no reason not to get the 8800GT short of the waiting period.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Bah, time to go either cancel my order for the 8800GT or get a new Mac Pro. I guess maybe it might be time to upgrade my original 2006 Mac Pro after all...

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
Well for me if it turns out I cannot upgrade my year old Mac Pro with a current video card I will not sell and upgrade to a new Mac Pro as for me I haven't had any performance problems with my existing one. What I will do is be forced into building a standard PC again as it can be done for much less than buying a whole new machine due to an upgraded video card. Or should I say lack of. I love my Mac and the options it has given such as running windows and OSX on one box but I will be damned if I will pay 3k for a new machine just because I want to play some games on a DX10 video card.

patseguin: you are exactly Apples target audience when it comes to this kind of thing.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Very good points waremaster and you're 100% right. I may indeed rethink my strategy and build a gaming rig.

HDproducer

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
Well for me if it turns out I cannot upgrade my year old Mac Pro with a current video card I will not sell and upgrade to a new Mac Pro as for me I haven't had any performance problems with my existing one. What I will do is be forced into building a standard PC again as it can be done for much less than buying a whole new machine due to an upgraded video card. Or should I say lack of. I love my Mac and the options it has given such as running windows and OSX on one box but I will be damned if I will pay 3k for a new machine just because I want to play some games on a DX10 video card.

patseguin: you are exactly Apples target audience when it comes to this kind of thing.

Don't some of the gamers put a 2nd card in even if it only works with Windows?

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
Don't some of the gamers put a 2nd card in even if it only works with Windows?

Yes they do. But from my understanding if you stick an 8800 series card in the machine even with an Apple supplied card you are unable to boot into OSX. Now if someone is able to prove me wrong on that matter I am still 100% satisfied as I will leave the X1900XT or a Apple 7300GT card in the machine for OSX and put an 8800 series card in for Windows. My monitor has switching so it will not be a problem there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.