Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After the keynote, we rushed over to the MacBook Air. We will be adding more photos to this post shortly. Brief impressions

- It is quite light and thin
- Multi-touch seems to work well
- Multi-touch acts differently in different apps. Testing in iPhoto, Finder, Safari. In Safari, three-finger swip caused you to go Back and Forward in browser.
- Mac OS X 10.5.1
- Two DIMM slots
- 1 USB, 1 micro-DVI, an headphone. In drop-down panel... but does not appear to "collapse"
- Bright Display, Glossy

Article Link

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Wow def looks good. Wife might want one.

It's to thin for me and what I do in my job. Seems more like a fad thing to have rather than a functional.

Business people on the go maybe, as a developer I can't use it :( Doesn't mean I wouldn't want one.

I say Good job Apple. For a first run at slim-line laptops it's def a step in the right direction.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
sounds like an overall great machine for those who need max portability, but not max power.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
Be sure to post overall final impressions, if you'd be so kind - there are a lot of underwhelmed MacRumors Users (again, not to be confused with MacRumorUser) right now, myself included. Plus - holy crap - the $1,300 price diff between the 80gig and the 64gig. Yikessss.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I like it, but I am glad Apple offers the MacBook and the MacBook Pro, as well. Choice is good.

And I look forward to the update to those latter two models as soon as Intel either starts shipping mobile Penryns or come May when the new Montevina CPU comes out.

iliketomac

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2006
As a first hands-on impression, is it worth $1799? (or less with either an education or gov't dscount)!

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
love this new name
I dig the new Macbook Air

but I'll be sticking with Macbook Pro...suits my lifestyle more :D

I'm glad there is no new updates to the MBP yet....I still feel new :p

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
Sleek and thin but unfortunately the foot print is too big. No where as ultra portable as Asusand Sony's 12 inch laptops.

Ember Whimsy

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2007
Connecticut
This one is perfect for me. I've never wanted a laptop in my life because of the size, whenever I've had one I end up selling it because it's a pain to haul around with me - I'm constantly on the go and fast, I don't need a heavy weight with me.

However, someone told me that due to the size of it and how compact things are inside of it, it would have major heat issues that would cause it to crash, especially in the summer. How likely is this?

Feverish Flux

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Sealed non user replaceable battery?

Soldered on RAM?

No ethernet jack?

$1799?

No thanks. :rolleyes:

It's an expensive, disposable toy.

adrake86

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2007
Georgia
I have not seen this posted the macbook air does not have a replaceable battery. It is similar to the iphone and ipod. So no more switching out batteries on the go.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
No replaceable battery by the looks of it and the specs on Apple's sight. That's a bit hard to swallow.

But the glossy screen makes it a NO SALE for me anyway. :(

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
As a first hands-on impression, is it worth $1799? (or less with either an education or gov't dscount)!

This thing is DEFINITELY very portable. If you are in the market for a portable laptop, this should definitely be in consideration. I think the price is fair for the amount of engineering that went into it and the fact that it contains custom parts.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
To anyone that has 'handled' it (directing to the guys on location) how durable is it?

I mean I know it can fit in an envelope but I don't want it as flimsy as an envelope. I'm pretty sure it's durable, I'm just asking for 'impressions' of the feel of it.

simag

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2008
more macbook plus than macbook pro

I expect it will sell very well. From what I read so far it is more a high end macbook than part of the pro line.
For me the glossy screen is the deal breaker. I'd also prefer no camera but could probably live with it. The combination of glossy and camera probably eliminate it from the bulk of the corporate market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.