Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scubasteve3715

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
So now that both iWork '08 and Office 2008 are out, there lies only one question......Which one to buy? I have Office 2004 and would definitely like an upgrade cuz its freakin slow. However, im really hesitant to move to iWork because i heard bad things about the spelling/grammar check. I would love to move to all apple apps but i have no experience with either iWork '08 or Office 2008.
Also...It seems that Office 2008 Student & Teacher has dropped Exchange server support in student and teacher edition.....not cool since Mail wont work with my exchange server. I am not paying $400 to get exchange support along with a bunch of other crap i really don't need. Does anybody have experience with either product? Advice would be great!

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
since i need to write papers and submit to some journals, I definitely go with MS Office 2008, and somebody told me there will be 3 licenses in that student version box.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I write all my papers and journals using Pages. Export to pdf or word doc has never been an issue if I need to do it.

As for the new Office if it's anything like the new Windows version then I'm staying the hell away from it for sure.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I write all my papers and journals using Pages. Export to pdf or word doc has never been an issue if I need to do it.

As for the new Office if it's anything like the new Windows version then I'm staying the hell away from it for sure.

mmm, once accepted, they ask for source file, which can not be in PDF. I wouldn't want to worry about compatibility issue in this type of important situations.

Plus, I forget to mention I need to do some complicated plots with excel.

afallnstar

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Seattle
Office 2008

Your best bet is defiantly to run Office 2008. It offers cross platform compatibility with which is essential for me as a student.

Beowulf666

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2007
I purchased iWork'08 and it does everything that I need it to do. I write papers, do labs, and have to share documents between me and other people in groups which use PC's. Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with iWork but I can understand if some people just feel more comfortable with MS Office. Also, the price of Office is a bit too high, and for a much cheaper product, iWork'08 does everything Office can, and IMO, better. But it's really up to you.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Also, the price of Office is a bit too high, and for a much cheaper product, iWork'08 does everything Office can, and IMO, better. But it's really up to you.

if M$ office student box indeed contains 3 licenses, then its rather cheap, 130/3=$43 per licenses

and excel is MUCH more professional in science field.

of course, only when you actually use all 3 licenses.

scubasteve3715

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Thanks guys. Probably the thing that concerns me the most is the lack of exchange support in entourage in the student edition. I use entourage daily because its the only app that syncs with the server at school. But i dont want to pay all that money to upgrade to the standard edition just for exchange support. Does anyone know if the new entourage definitely wont work with exchange server?

aptenergy

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
Thanks guys. Probably the thing that concerns me the most is the lack of exchange support in entourage in the student edition. I use entourage daily because its the only app that syncs with the server at school. But i dont want to pay all that money to upgrade to the standard edition just for exchange support. Does anyone know if the new entourage definitely wont work with exchange server?
The Student and Teacher version definitely does not contain Exchange support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.