Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Romeo604

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
Hey all

Just had a question.. I want to purchase a soundtrack but it is only available in the UK itunes store and not in the Canada iTunes store. Is there anyway to purchase these tracks or any other distributors selling songs online? Thanks!

bond007hmss

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
There are only two ways I know of to get music from a different country's music store:
1: Have a credit card with a billing address from that country.
2: There are sites online that will sell you gift cards from the various music stores around the world. I don't remember any of the websites off the top of my head, but this is how a lot of people who are into J-Pop download from the Japanese store.

Reactions: AaliyahKurosaki

Romeo604

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
Thanks for the replies

I can get the US giftcards no problem because I can just drive to across the border to Seattle but is it possible to buy giftcards online for another country?

dsl4c

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
Portland, OR
im fairly sure you have to have an itunes account in the country you are trying to purchase from.. id love to be able to buy electronic music from europe, but since my itunes account is in the US, I can't.. :(

bond007hmss

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
No, for the sites that offer to sell the gift cards for other countries they also tell you how to use them. (Any special conditions that have to be met, etc...) I'll look online later and post the link to one of them so everyone can see how its done.

Here's the how to from jbox.com. (I assume all the other stores work the same way)

Product type: iTunes Japan Music Card
Apple's iTunes Music Store is incredibly popular in Japan, with hundreds of thousands of tracks of great music from Japan available for 150 or 200 yen per song. For fans of Japanese music around the world it doesn't seem possible to buy through the Japan iTMS, without a Japanese address and credit card. There is a way, however -- using the Japanese iTunes Music Card from Apple! A prepaid card that's charged with money for music purchases, this is a great way for J-POP/J-ROCK fans all over the world to get access to Japan's top-name music directly through their Mac or PCs.
When you click the Add to Cart button for this product, you'll be able to choose a Music Card with the new denominations of 1500 or 3000 yen of credit on it. You can also choose to have the card sent to you normally through the mail from Japan, have the J-List staff send you a scan of your card number through email, or opt for both.

Once you have your iTMS Japan code, follow these easy steps:

Load iTunes on your Mac or PC. If you don't have it yet, download it from Apple.
If you've already got an account in your home country, sign out by clicking on the Account button in the upper left hand corner, then Sign Out.
At the bottom of the iTunes Music Store window, choose the Japan Store. The name may appear in kanji, but it's easy to find.
Click the Redeem button along the right side of the iTMS, and enter the scratch-off Redeem Code printed on the back of the card when asked.
iTunes will show you a dialog box asking for your current account. Since we're making a new iTMS account for the Japan store, click Create Account.
Follow the steps to create a new account, first agreeing to the iTunes agreement (step 1 of 3), then entering email, birthdate and vertification question (step 2).
Important: When signing up for an iTunes account with a pre-paid card, some customers have reported that iTMS won't let you proceed without entering a credit card. In order to bypass this, hit the "Home" button and begin the Redeem process again, and you'll see the "None" button the second time through. This is a known issue that affects Japanese users in Japan as well.

At step 3, where you are asked for your (Japanese) address. You can enter any address you like. Note that you must enter your name twice, once for "kanji" and once for "pronunciation" (but you can enter the same information into both fields). You can do this in English or any language that's supported by iTunes -- the ability to read Japanese is never required for the iTunes Japan Store -- so for the phonetic spelling you can just enter the same normal English characters as the other 'name' fields.
Enjoy purchasing great music and audio content directly from Japan in the Japan iTunes Music Store! Now that you have an account tied to a prepaid card, you can get full access to the "Free iTunes Single of the Week" from Japan, and future prepaid card credit can be added to your existing account.
Music from the Japanese iTunes Store is fully compatible with iTunes and iPods from any country. iTunes has no issues with maintaining multiple accounts in more than one music store. It couldn't be simpler! And best of all, you can surf and buy music from your iPhone (version 1.1.1 firmware or higher) or iPod Touch! Just make sure you're signed in to the Japan iTunes Music Store with iTunes when you sync the iPhone/iPod Touch and login data will be carried over.

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
It's not terribly hard creating an account in another country. I'm not sure on the legality of it all though.

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
im fairly sure you have to have an itunes account in the country you are trying to purchase from.. id love to be able to buy electronic music from europe, but since my itunes account is in the US, I can't.. :(
*crying i feel your pain lol damn music companies or whoever doesnt let us

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
It's not terribly hard creating an account in another country.

Last time I checked, a proof of residence was rather a must. Like power bill, phone bill, rent contract with a landlord or sth else.
It's a bit inconvenient to rent a flat somewhere else just in order to get a credit card.

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
I am having the same problem in Europe from Apple Store since Safari 3 came out. It identifies my country location because I see in the search string IP=BE

I am not sure about the legality because it is giving out private information (the country) without asking me permission for it. In the EU privacy laws are stricter then in the US. I used to be able to log on to my US iTunes account from oversea but now I cannot anymore.... :(

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Last time I checked, a proof of residence was rather a must. Like power bill, phone bill, rent contract with a landlord or sth else.
It's a bit inconvenient to rent a flat somewhere else just in order to get a credit card.

At least in the US Itunes store it is not, if you're using a gift card that is. You can just put any address in and it should work. Again, I'm not sure how legal that would be.

If you get a gift card you don't need to have a credit card to sign up for an Itunes account. I think people would hesitate to use gift cards if you had to put a credit card onto the account, which is probably why you don't have to.

FrenzyBanana

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
apple center in the philippines do not sell card. our country have no itunes store too.

i want the fray bootleg no.2 album so badly
and it is not available in any cd store here. i know it can only purchase via online
but i can't

is there anyway? i don't have credit card (im too young for that)

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada

I think he meant "it's not terribly hard creating an iTunes store account in another country".

I think he's eluding to the gift card workaround.

Carol77

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2008
help with two ipods with music

Very new at this.

I tunes does not support the two countries we live in Cyprus and Hungary, cant put UK address must be the same as credit card details.

Would appreciate advice, (clear and easy reading)
Great web site
Thanks

Steve Jobs=God

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
I just tried opening a US Store account, i'm in the UK, got as far as putting in payment options, but there's no option for a gift card, only credit cards

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Exactly.
It's kinda secured, since it's about the rights for the songs. If the territory isn't listed in the contract, there should be no way for the inhabitants of this territory to buy a song. Which is all these contracts are about.

macenvy

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2007
2 years ago I came up with my own work around that worked great. I created a US paypal account using my Canadian credit card and lying about my billing address. Paypal doesn't verify this, at least not at the time, maybe now.

Then I created my american iTunes account using the paypal as billing. Once created, I switched the billing to my credit card, which, since I was already an American account holder, they didn't verify.

It worked great, for 2 years. Last week I had to enter my new security code for my credit card as my old one had expired and a new one was issued. Now, it doesn't work, its onto me. Tells me my CC billing address doesn't match my account address.

t11chb

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
I the in the US & UK, so i have addresses and cards for each country but it won't let me do it, you can change country (Not just now as i have a season pass open) but i really need to do this

smurfjammer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
This doesn't solve the problem of having multiple accounts in different countries?

It's based on email addresses (or Apple ID's) so make a new one in gmail, I have a NZ, Australian & US iTunes accounts all under different email addresses and just authorise your iTunes to recongise all accounts.

t11chb

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
It's based on email addresses (or Apple ID's) so make a new one in gmail, I have a NZ, Australian & US iTunes accounts all under different email addresses and just authorise your iTunes to recongise all accounts.

I thought thats what you'd say. I wanted it all linked to the one email address, it starts getting complicated, one time i was out and was trying to play a video and it wouldn't authorize and i couldn't remember my username & password.

According to a guy i spoke to at Apple, he said i can just change my country, obviously not while i have open season passes and switch back and forth as and when i need to

smurfjammer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
True, it's a pain login in & out to access the different regions. I found by changing the country became a hassle when I had my credit card entered in my NZ account as if I selected the US account it checked my card and told me it couldn't be used due it not being a US one.

t11chb

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
True, it's a pain login in & out to access the different regions. I found by changing the country became a hassle when I had my credit card entered in my NZ account as if I selected the US account it checked my card and told me it couldn't be used due it not being a US one.

I have addresses & cards for each country so will give it a try

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.