Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
downloaded it today, its like safari part 2. they have totally taken the whole look from apple!!
couple of neat features but this is unbelievably close to safari!!!

smythey

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2007
Scotland
Thats waht I thought when I first saw the beta on a Mac. I prefer the way it looks in Windows personally. Fast as heck though int it?!

Retired
May 16, 2006
Well the Safari skin is very OSX-like, and fortunately Mozilla are trying to make FF look less ported, and more native. They've done a pretty good job, and its not identical, more 'inspired' than copied.

You can always skin it to look like you want.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
oh right didn't know it was different on windows??
don't get me wrong I quite like it. I always like the look of safari but for some reason always used firefox, guess i now have the best of both worlds:D

the download box is very similar!!!

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
well i'm downloading the beta on windows xp right now just to see if its different from my macceybook... yep it's 36% so far... not long :)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
downloaded it today, its like safari part 2. they have totally taken the whole look from apple!!
couple of neat features but this is unbelievably close to safari!!!
Apparently, Firefox has replaced its old default theme with Proto. This is something of a surprise because the last posted version of the theme was Proto 0.14.1. I had it installed already and don't see any changes since it became the default.

One last point: Firefox/Proto looks no more Safari than Carrie Underwood looks like Beyoncé Knowles.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Safari is great, and I use it, but FF is awesome, plus its cross platform.....and when they get a mobile one out, we'll be set

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
And the new GrApple theme looks more like Safari than Proto.

http://www.takebacktheweb.org/

original proto is quite like that, many people at mozillazine complained it being "too safari". Im not sure how much influence those complains had. But firefox should be itself. Adopting brushed metal is fine, but don't pretend to be something its not.

Im quite pleased with the current result. The keyhole is better than I expected..:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.