Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freddyaudiophil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Eastern Canada
hi folks:

i ordered my new 3.06 iMac last week and it arrived today. I have been using it for the last 2 hours and have noticed a small red spec on the screen. It appears to have one bad pixel about an inch down from the bar that runs along the top of the screen. It is red in colour (if that makes any difference at all).

What should I do?

freddy

imac123

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2008
if it bothers you enough , you can try contacting apple support and trying to get a replacement (no guarantee that one won't have a bad pixel too though)

i've heard they only usually do replacements if there are a FEW bad pixels, not just one. BUT you could say that you work w/ photos and it's going to get in the way of your work etc , then maybe they'll work w/ you

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It's hard to say if they'll replace it but it is totally worth calling them. That takes almost no time at all.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Just go ahead and call (1800) - MYAPPLE. A dead pixel would bother me a lot and I'd make sure to get it replaced. Sucks it had to happen to you though. Good luck man!

freddyaudiophil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Eastern Canada
ok... thanks for the quick responses. I have only noticed one so far but I will change the background to something solid white and take a really close look.

This thing is super fast... I did manage to get messenger installed for mac but i think it took me 2 tries.

we do have an apple certified tech shop here in town... do you think they would be of any help? It might be a spec of dirt on the glass inside... *might* be...

freddy

PS: Yes, I'm peaved. My wife has already asked me "what happened to Windows?"

eugenio01

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2007
Good to know, I just ordered one

Mine is due on Monday so I will be on the lookout for this. However, Before I purchased mine, I did a good amount of research on how I will be protected, and Apple I believe has a 14day return policy. I suggest you return it and wait for another rather than knowingly sit and stew on it for the next couple of years thinking should've but didn't. These returns just go into the refurbished bunch on line so best you get exactly what you ordered. Organise a return/ refund and as soon as that is approved and a courier is organised, buy yourself another, rather than try to organise a replacement.

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
You have a few options:

1. Call Apple, explain the situation(calmly) and tell them it will affect the work you intend to do on the system.
2. Simply return it and purchase another one. There is absolutely nothing they can do to stop you from doing this and from past experience it takes only a few days to both ship it back and get your money back on your credit card.
3. Search google for "Dead Pixel Screensaver" - may or may not help but usually a dead pixel is black, not red.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
Before you call Apple or consider taking it back, try these options. BTW, a red pixel is a stuck pixel, not a dead pixel.

LCD Test: To test for dead/stuck pixels, in case you missed some (freeware).

PixelFix 4.0: A potential fix dashboard widget (freeware).

JscreenFix: Java applet to fix stuck pixels.

If none of these work, then call Apple and see what they say. Good luck to you. :)

Maldini

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2007
Riyadh
Before you call Apple or consider taking it back, try these options. BTW, a red pixel is a stuck pixel, not a dead pixel.

If none of these work, then call Apple and see what they say. Good luck to you. :)
Thanks for the links..very helpful :D

freddyaudiophil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Eastern Canada
Well, I called Apple tech support earlier this AM and she mentioned that "a few pixel anomalies" is normal but 6-8 or more would not be normal.

She directed me to do a hardware reset (which supposedly can "unstick" stuck pixels) and that did not work. She said that I could either take it to my local repair shop (10 mins away) or live with it. She did direct me to the "Pixel Anomaly" policy on their support site: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1721

I will at least call the Apple tech shop here in town next week and see what they say. You all make good points here. And part of the reason I bought this mac was to do lots of crap in Photoshop and for DVD authoring.

One thing I did not know was that you cannot return (for a refund) any config to order boxes -- I upped the RAM in my 3.06 to 4GB and opted for the wireless mousicle. They will only offer exchanges for identical machines only.

Freddy

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
What I don't understand about apple's response to the dead pixel problem is why they only fix it when there is a minimum of 6 dead pixels for example. Unless its in there user agreement is it?

I mean after all, freddyaudiophil just spent over $2000 on a new computer, which was not advertised as having 1 dead pixel. Yes its only one pixel but thats not what was asked for. I may be anal about this, but I expect to get fr what I pay for. Luckily I haven't had any problem yet with my macbook.

Would you buy a car that had a scrape on it? Sure it'll still work the same as the next guys sparkling scrape-free car although you've both paid the same price.???

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
What I don't understand about apple's response to the dead pixel problem is why they only fix it when there is a minimum of 6 dead pixels for example. Unless its in there user agreement is it??

If they had a zero dead pixel policy then items would cost more. Unit prices for LCD panels would have to increase to cover the production yield losses.
Yes Apple charge a premium for their products but they still buy the LCDs from another company who will set QC thresholds.
If LG, for example, say a panel is fine with 6 defect pixels then Apple cannot return the panels with 6 or less defect pixels.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Yeah sounds like a stuck pixel not a dead one, so probably fixable without sending to Apple, just run the aforementioned pixel fixer.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
You don't happen to have the gradient problem too do you? If so, perhaps a double whammy would justify a replacement.

iMac.jpg

Notice the dark area in the middle of the screen.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
ok... thanks for the quick responses. I have only noticed one so far but I will change the background to something solid white and take a really close look.

This thing is super fast... I did manage to get messenger installed for mac but i think it took me 2 tries.

we do have an apple certified tech shop here in town... do you think they would be of any help? It might be a spec of dirt on the glass inside... *might* be...

freddy

PS: Yes, I'm peaved. My wife has already asked me "what happened to Windows?"

lol put windows on and say thats what happened it works better on mac lololol

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
You bought it within 14 days ago, simply return it. Immediately after, buy a new one. This is the only way to get around the stuck pixel.

freddyaudiophil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Eastern Canada
it does not appear that my new imac has the gradient issue though. is there one particular desktop background colour that seems to show it better than others? I am fond of the blue solid colours and they are seem really consistent from left to right and from different angles.

I did try the pixel unstuck remedies above and they did not work... :(

freddy

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
What I don't understand about apple's response to the dead pixel problem is why they only fix it when there is a minimum of 6 dead pixels for example.

I don't understand it either. I thought that "Apple premium" people pay was all about the better quality and service you get.

My iMac G4 had a dead pixel. It's off to the far right and is "off" (or dark.) Because of the position and its state, I rarely notice it, and it has almost never bothered me. It exists in an area of the screen where my eyes rarely linger.

However, if a pixel is stuck in an "on" state in a more noticeable location, I think Apple should consider replacing it regardless of any rules they have. If it's in a location where your eyes frequently linger, it's going to be a constant annoyance.

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008

What are the chances, after me moaning about apples policy on dead pixels in an earlier post, I get 2! luckily they were actually lit pixels (white
) and PixelFix solved it in about 10secs. Though I was quick off the ball noticing it, thanks for the links anyways ;)

yagru

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
well if you only got 2 then consider yourself lucky

i just got my brand 24 new imac today and it has about 15 stuck pixels on the bottom left and about 5-10 other scattered throughout the screen.. completely dissapointed.. im going to have to send this one back and wait again for a new one.. this really sucks.. sadly this is the most ive ever seen on an lcd anywhere :(

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
well if you only got 2 then consider yourself lucky

i just got my brand 24 new imac today and it has about 15 stuck pixels on the bottom left and about 5-10 other scattered throughout the screen.. completely dissapointed.. im going to have to send this one back and wait again for a new one.. this really sucks.. sadly this is the most ive ever seen on an lcd anywhere :(

ever since the new macs theres been so much problems with the screen espically has apple of gotton cheaaper? whats going on here

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Would you buy a car that had a scrape on it? Sure it'll still work the same as the next guys sparkling scrape-free car although you've both paid the same price.???

Not quite the same. If you buy a car that advertises 23mpg, and it gets 22mpg, do you get to turn it in for a new one? No. Why? Because there's a certain fault tolerance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.