Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hibanzai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Okay. I am selling my 4s and I thought getting rid of a jailbreak is easy. Turns out it's nigh on impossible for some reason.
4s jb 5.1.1

Here's what I tried to do:
- Restore 5.1.1 via iTunes> error 3194
- Use tiny umbrella to save shsh again and try to do a restore again via itunes whilst tinyumbrella is still running almost restores but then get > error 21.
- **** it, upgrade to OS 6 via itunea> error think it was also 3194
- tried to upgrade to OS 6 on air> also error can't upgrade for some reason.
- tried erasing all content> thank God I didnt brick my phone. Never knew it isn't good.

So how on earth do I restore my phone to a fresh iOS. I need to give the phone to the buyer like new by tomorrow. I don't care at the moment which iOS i'll end up with to reach my goal.

Much appreciated guys in advance.

Last edited:

syxthelement

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Check the hosts file on your computer. It might be rerouting your computer from contacting apple's server to saurik's or a blank site (127.0.0.1)

hibanzai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Can you guide me on how to disable the rerouting?

----------

The last two lines in the hosts file are
"#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com"

There's another hosts file called hosts.umbrella. Guess it's tinyumbrella's making

Same last two lines as the regular hosts file except there is no number sigh (#) before the first ip address.

----------

If you haven't tried already put the phone into DFU mode before trying to restore.

DFU gives me the same error. 3194 :/

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
open TU and in advanced make sure set host to cydia is unchecked.
also uncheck request SHSH from cydia
on pc restart pc.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Well it is a 4S, so it cannot be restored to 5.1.1 since Apple stopped signing it.

Type "gs.apple.com" and see if it goes to Apple or Cydia
You need it to go to Apple so you can restore.
You will need a sim for the phone to activate it.

hibanzai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Okay, what a silly thing it was. Turns out my iTunes version wasn't new enough to warrant a proper restore. Even though It used to restore just fine before the JB. I simply updated my iTunes, restore, et voila!

Thanks guy!
The hosts file used to open the apple site, not cydia. Everything was fine really. It was really weird.

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
Okay, what a silly thing it was. Turns out my iTunes version wasn't new enough to warrant a proper restore. Even though It used to restore just fine before the JB. I simply updated my iTunes, restore, et voila!

Thanks guy!
The hosts file used to open the apple site, not cydia. Everything was fine really. It was really weird.

That's happens. Upgrading to latest itunes does help sometimes.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I'm pretty sure apple said you have to be on the latest iTunes (ver. 10.7?) to upgrade to 6.0. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.