Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dino0829

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Hey gang,
Trying to decide between the BlackBook, or getting the white 2.4 with the upgraded 250 gb drive (good idea?). I've got a white iBook now, and don't care for how dirty it gets, so I was wondering if anyone out there have used the protective/decorative skins (specifically, from uniqueskins.com), and what their impressions were. Do they work good? Tough to put on/remove? If you did custom jobs, what dpi picture did you use, etc. etc. Pictures of the final product would be great, too.
Thanks!

dino0829

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Thanks, I've checked that site out, and those are cool, but I'm leaning to Unique skins, where you can really design your own. Here's what I'm thinking now. Might look good on a WhiteBook, no?

Supes.png

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
The picture looks amazing - do you worry about how the dark sticker will look against the white plastic of the MB? I'm looking at this site too, but I just don't know how it will look in my hands.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
I've ordered 3 from uniqueskins - all de-vine!

Use coupon code 25off and save an additional - you guessed it - 25% off.

dino0829

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Thanks very much! (Glad you liked the image, too!). I'm going for the stark contrast, the black on white. I'll probably also order a black palm rest cover over at MacStyles.com, for like 10 bucks.
Hey Techound, do you mind posting any pix of the ones you've actually applied? (If they're handy). Were they easy to put on/take off? Thanks for the coupon code, too, that saves six bucks.
Also, if you order from Uniqueskins, they tell me that a resolution of 125 dpi will work fine, but the higher the better (up to a max file size of 1.5 mb). Just FYI.
Thanks guys!

GUILTIE

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2008
I've ordered 3 from uniqueskins - all de-vine!

Use coupon code 25off and save an additional - you guessed it - 25% off.

Do these skins cover the entire MB or just the top of the outside case? It ironically I couldn't find it in the description and in the preview it doesn't show it.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Do these skins cover the entire MB or just the top of the outside case? It ironically I couldn't find it in the description and in the preview it doesn't show it.

Just the top cover. It's NOT a "full body" skin.

Dino - the skins I did were grunge backgrounds - nothing as cool as yours. I picked up a couple of "dollar bin" images at istockphoto, mucked around a bit with them and then had them printed. I'll see if I have a pic. They were much, much easier to apply than say a screen protector, although you need to be mindful of accurate placement of the apple cut out.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
These are two of them (the third is on loan) - they both happen to be on blackbooks, but it might give you an idea for how the contrast will look.

Chandler Adaway

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Beaumont, TX
I personally think they look tacky and would never dare put any type of sticker on merchandise that expensive.
But that's just my opinion.

Your superman image is badass through. :eek:
Really, good job.

dino0829

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Thanks, guys. And thanks Techound, for the info (glad there's no residue!), and for posting those pictures. Personally, I think the worn brick look is brilliant. Makes me rethink mine a bit, maybe a steel background or something would be cooler.
A good site for free images is Wikipedia Commons (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page) or do a Flickr search for creative commons-licensed work. And of course, NASA.gov has an incredible selection of free images for any use you want. That's where I got my background of a nebula.
As for the inside, I probably will get a MacStyles for 10 bucks.
Of course, I've still got to order my MacBook first!
Thanks again everybody.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
(Thanks for the tips on the free images - always nice to have extra sources for all manner of graphics perfidy ;) )

jh007jh

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2010
hi

did u manage 2 do the superman skin in the end?

please post pictures of it if u can. were u happy with it? it looks so coool!

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
Never really thought about skins but I kinda like them after having a look. Also I think with them being so easily removable where the harm if you change your mind or come to sell?

Heres a few I found from a quick search that I think stood out.

ironman-apple-macbook-skin.jpg

topperiddw.jpg

apple-laptop-skin-0012.jpg

macbookskin_2.jpg

media_httpwwwforkpart_CFAyq.jpg.scaled500.jpg

macfan1777

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2010
I love my MacBook Laptop Skin!

I LOVE the laptop skin I have from sticviews! They print custom laptop skins - you can upload any image, and it's great. The Apple logo isn't cut out, but it looks really sweet when the light comes on. (And they didn't leave residue either!):D

Attachments

• 21538_287369819457_75495934457_4661038_634347_n.jpg
    21538_287369819457_75495934457_4661038_634347_n.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 71
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.