Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
So, i have text message logs ranging back to november. When i do a restore of my original iphone, these logs backed up to itunes to be synced back to the iphone correct? So, in the case that i do a restore/backup of my original iphone before i activate my new iphone 3g, will my text logs populate the new iphone 3g or will they simply be lost in translation. In the case of losing them, is there an application that has the ability to extract them from the iphone itself?

b1gted

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Bartlesville, OK
If you sync you phone just before you migrate to the new 3g Iphone, you will be able to restore to the new 3G iphone and have all of your sms text messages with no problems.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
If you sync you phone just before you migrate to the new 3g Iphone, you will be able to restore to the new 3G iphone and have all of your sms text messages with no problems.

so, whenever the iPhone is synced, it creates a backup of all the text messages in the phone itself. Basically there is some file on my system with a complete log of all my text convos?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
so, whenever the iPhone is synced, it creates a backup of all the text messages in the phone itself. Basically there is some file on my system with a complete log of all my text convos?

Yup, although I don't know if the iPhone 3G will ask to do a restore from backup. If it did, your VVM's should also be moved.

redsoxws6

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008

does this really work??? Ive been looking all over the net to try and save my text messages to my new iphone 3g from my old original iphone, i dont have a mac either is there a way i can save all the messages if it cant be done??

michele123

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2010
getting text messages off out of service iphone

I dropped my 3G iphone in a puddle today, and had to replace it. Some features do not work, but the text messages are still there. When I synched the new one, it updated all the texts from the last sync on the old phone, but there are some new texts since the last sync on the old phone that I would like to save to my mac or the new phone. Does anyone know how I can save the text messages off an out of service 3G iphone?
Thank you!!!

bugaboo12

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011
I dropped my 3G iphone in a puddle today, and had to replace it. Some features do not work, but the text messages are still there. When I synched the new one, it updated all the texts from the last sync on the old phone, but there are some new texts since the last sync on the old phone that I would like to save to my mac or the new phone. Does anyone know how I can save the text messages off an out of service 3G iphone?
Thank you!!!

I just posted this on another thread, but I'll post it here too in case people are looking for the same info.

Decipher TextMessage reads texts out of the iPhone backup files, so you could use it to save any text messages in your backup without needing your phone to be in service. http://deciphertools.com

zekemon89

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
Please Help

I just posted this on another thread, but I'll post it here too in case people are looking for the same info.

Decipher TextMessage reads texts out of the iPhone backup files, so you could use it to save any text messages in your backup without needing your phone to be in service. http://deciphertools.com

Did you do the free version or do you have to do the full version? I want to be able to back up all texts, restore my iPhone, and then put all my texts back on the phone....I appreciate any help you can give.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.