Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
I'm not posting here to ask anyone which program is better. I can decide from the trials which works better for me personally.

I'm posting to get some advice or perhaps talk to some others who are in the same boat as me. I tested both Lightroom and Aperture in the late fall of last year. During that time I didn't have a working camera and just used them to process and organize my photos pre-camera breakage. I made up my mind, but being a college student didn't have the money to buy a new camera and couldn't really justify buying either software at the time.

Fast forward to now. I have graduated and have a D300 on the way. In the time since testing out both softwares Aperture 2 has been released as well as the beta for Lightroom 2. I have an invite to the Lightroom 2 beta which is good until August 31. My aperture 2 trial is still good for about 2 more weeks. Here is the thing, Right now my preference is leaning toward Lightroom, but it is uncertain when the final release will be available, which could leave me without a program to use with a brand new D300 which to be honest makes me a little sad to think about. I found Aperture 2 (so far) to be a vast improvement over the first version and I wouldn't be completely averse to getting Aperture, but like I said Lightroom is my first choice. I just don't want to be out of a program for months until the final version of Lightroom is released.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Use what you will. Get a copy of LR1 and then upgrade when LR2 comes out.

Or just use the Beta until it expires then get a copy of the application.

That was my plan initially. I just thought I'd get some advice. Who knows I still have a few weeks left on my aperture 2 trial so I may just get that if I like it enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.