Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
Apple, or someone must do this.

I use to use this a lot on my BlackBerry, it's a messenger to send messages to other Blackberry users, I believe it uses EDGE. All messages are free and it gives a very nice status report on your messages, when it's sent a check mark appears, when it arrives to your friend's BlackBerry, it will tell you the message has been delivered, when your friend opens up the message and reads it, you will be informed that your message has been read.

You can also send quick pictures over it. It didn't count from your SMS or MMS.

I really hope someone can make this, especially now since the number of iPhone users will increase.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
since Apple didn't give each device a PIN, they would need to do somethign where you register online and make a PIN yourself. However BBM's go through RIMs servers rather than carrier servers for a certain reason so I'm not sure if it could work.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
since Apple didn't give each device a PIN, they would need to do somethign where you register online and make a PIN yourself. However BBM's go through RIMs servers rather than carrier servers for a certain reason so I'm not sure if it could work.

I think they can mathematically derive a unique code from each iphone's IMEI or serial number. They can set this up as a large messenger platform only for iPhones that works over wifi or EDGE that you can have running in the background at all times. With Push capabilities, it would be awesome!

lilneebs

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2009
ITS CALLED PING!

thats the 'BBM' for the Iphone... its still prety new, however its practically the same except doesnt use the amount of data that the BBM does.
it looks the same as text messages on the iphone but again doesnt charge you (convenient if you dont have a text plan)

so again it looks like its in the first stages of development but i would anticipate the following features of BBM to be added so that its just as good
- group talk
- picture sharing

THAT or someone should someone create a bbm app that runs on the iphone... so we can connect with crackberry friends :)

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
There is not and will never be an app like BBM for the iPhone. All these 3rd party companies are trying to mimic it but they all suck IMO. The only way it could ever work and work well is if Apple created it. I honestly don't care. Gchat and AIM through Beejive works just as good as anything else. And this way I don't have to be limited to just iPhone users, blackberry users, or smartphone users at all. Oh yeah, and there's another cool messaging service out and its called SMS, or text messaging. You should check it out.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
There is not and will never be an app like BBM for the iPhone. All these 3rd party companies are trying to mimic it but they all suck IMO. The only way it could ever work and work well is if Apple created it. I honestly don't care. Gchat and AIM through Beejive works just as good as anything else. And this way I don't have to be limited to just iPhone users, blackberry users, or smartphone users at all. Oh yeah, and there's another cool messaging service out and its called SMS, or text messaging. You should check it out.

So your Gchat is working on Beejive for you? I haven't seen a Google contact on my list for months.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
So your Gchat is working on Beejive for you? I haven't seen a Google contact on my list for months.

Yeah once every couple weeks or so it will disconnect but then i just have to sign in again. Have you tried deleting your account and adding it again? If that doesn't work, I'd contact Beejive and ask them because it should be working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.