Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj420118

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006
I downloaded the 2.1 update for Vista and when i try to open the .exe in Vista i say agree to let the program open and then it just doesn't do anything.

Anyone have this problem?

Danny

dj420118

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Wait a few minutes? Why would an executable take a few minutes to open? Can anyone else confirm this?

Future Blues

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2007
It doesn't open because the executable looks for Boot Camp v. 2.0.1 drivers which only come on Mac Pro Leopard Update discs since April.

Search TPB for "Mac Pro Boot Camp Drivers" and download that package. Run the x64 driver package in there and then run the Boot Camp 2.1 update.

This is for Vista 64bit versions.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
I had the same problem loading Vista 64 bit on my iMac last night. Here is what to do.

Go this page:
http://andersonshatch.wordpress.com/2008/04/13/macbook-pro-and-vista-64-bit/

Download the 4 rar files and unrar them. Copy the folder created to your new installation of Windows on your Mac. Go to the Apple folder and you will see the Bootcamp setup. This runs the 64 bit Boot Camp installation. It will install drivers as well.

Then run the Apple software update in Windows. It should find the latest version of bootcamp and update your current version as well. Reboot and you are good to go.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
You need Boot Camp 2.0.1 in order to install 2.1.
I'm going to bump this. I just went through the pain of installing Vista x64 on my 2006 MP only to find this out after the fact. Had to find a working link to a copy of 2.0.1, and only after installing that then installing the 2.1 update twice (the first time, keyboard support didn't install for unknown reasons) did I have things working properly, though I have two BootCamp icons in the taskbar now...

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I'm going to bump this. I just went through the pain of installing Vista x64 on my 2006 MP only to find this out after the fact. Had to find a working link to a copy of 2.0.1, and only after installing that then installing the 2.1 update twice (the first time, keyboard support didn't install for unknown reasons) did I have things working properly, though I have two BootCamp icons in the taskbar now...

You don't need 2.0.1. I said 2.0.1 because 2.0.1 came with the MacBook Airs. I installed 2.1 over 2.0 on my MacBook Pro.

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I had a hard (months long) time installing 2.1 on my v2.0 MBA running Vista.

I tried everything I could find online. What finally worked for me was going into Vista in the "uninstall programs" under Control Panel -> Programs, and repairing "Apple mobile device support", "Apple software update", and "Boot camp services". After doing that, I had to go into Boot Camp update and download and install the .exe and the update manually.

Now I have 2.1, but I am a bit disappointed because the scrolling is not fixed (but is much better), and my audio currently does not work. I could care less about the audio since I am more or less only running MSOffice and regression programs.

Give the "repair" tool a try after trying to update to 2.1 and see if that does it for you. I hope it works out!

sauria

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2001
Texas, USA
Thanks

Thanks for the info, I'm trying to install for the first time on a Mac Pro Early 2008 -- it came with boot camp assistant on the HD -- boot camp assistant App is dated 9/27/2008.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
I can confirm that it takes a while to open. I downloaded it, and thought it was corrupt because it wouldn't open, so I re-downloaded it. The same thing happened the second time, except I went to do something after I double clicked it. When I came back, it was open and installing the update. It takes a coupla minutes to open and start installing, so give it some time.

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
I'm trying to install this right now. I'm about to throw this computer across the room! I have an early 2008 MBP. I have vista 64bit.

I used the boot camp utility on the computer (I used an actual leopard install DVD, no the ones that came with the computer to install the OS a few weeks back.) It made the partition and told me to install my Windows disk.

Did that, then Vista installed. Now Vista was running, but missing the drivers, so I installed the Leopard DVD, and it tried to install drivers, but failed with 2 of them. I clicked IGNORE at the prompts...

Then I found the 2.1 bootcamp. Downloaded it in OSX, and copied it to a DVD. I then rebooted in Windows, and started the DVD. After 2 minutes, a prompt came up asking if I trusted the DVD. I clicked yes, and Nothing.

So is this the right sequence? Should I have done something else??? How long does it take to get going?

(All of this trouble so I could use a windows mobile phone... mistake #1...)

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
I'm trying to install this right now. I'm about to throw this computer across the room! I have an early 2008 MBP. I have vista 64bit.

I used the boot camp utility on the computer (I used an actual leopard install DVD, no the ones that came with the computer to install the OS a few weeks back.) It made the partition and told me to install my Windows disk.

Did that, then Vista installed. Now Vista was running, but missing the drivers, so I installed the Leopard DVD, and it tried to install drivers, but failed with 2 of them. I clicked IGNORE at the prompts...

Then I found the 2.1 bootcamp. Downloaded it in OSX, and copied it to a DVD. I then rebooted in Windows, and started the DVD. After 2 minutes, a prompt came up asking if I trusted the DVD. I clicked yes, and Nothing.

So is this the right sequence? Should I have done something else??? How long does it take to get going?

(All of this trouble so I could use a windows mobile phone... mistake #1...)

You need to download the Boot Camp update in Vista. Once it's downloaded and you double click it to install it, WAIT! It will take a while to open, so just be patient. Btw. which drivers didn't you install?

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Sorry for the late update guys!

I was able to take care of the problem. I was using a Leopard disk that I bought for my Powerbook. When I tried using the disks that came with my laptop, the drivers loaded right on. Then I used the 2.1 update disk i burned, and it updated them to the most recent ones.

It works fine, but damn I wish I never spent the money on Vista. I'll proabably never use it and now it's just taking up space!

iFog

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2009
Check this out! Strange but true... :D

1. Right click to "BCUpdateVista64.exe"
2. Extract to "BCUpdateVista64" with WinRaR
3. Run "BCUpdateVista64" Windows Installer Patch Package in the extracted BCUpdateVista64 folder
4. Restart and your Boot Camp is updated to 2.1

-------------------------------------
MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
Leopard Mac OS X 10.5.6
Vista 64 Bit SP1
Boot Camp 2.0

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Every leopard install cd has both 64 bit drivers and 32 bit. You can enter the correct commands in DOS and it will bypass the error message and install the drivers. ;)

spepper

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2009
still need help

Every leopard install cd has both 64 bit drivers and 32 bit. You can enter the correct commands in DOS and it will bypass the error message and install the drivers. ;)

Chad - what are the "correct commands" (I'm not very technical - just a user trying to install Windows Vista 64...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.