Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ihasnee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
from last 10 days , day and night I am trying to jailbreak my iphone ...and realizing why this hype is for iphone .... I never screwed up in my life with any gadget.
Friends.....those of you in India planning for iPhone... THINK TWICE BEFORE MAKING A DECISION... The short comings of iPhone are endless...

No video calling,

no AD2P on the Bluetooth,

CAN'T share ANY (mp3, images,videos....) files via bluetooth,

can't use as a wireless modem, (you pay ridiculous data charges to activate internet on your phone, but cannot connect it to your PC and browse when you are at home)

no copy and paste,(cannot copy a part of a.... say.... email & send it....have to type it out yourself)

no 3.2 or 5 megapixel camera,(the 2MP camera it carries is worst camera i've ever seen..... photos look like they have come out of a VGA camera)

no video recording with camera,

no front camera,

no flash.

no JAVA support

No physical keyboard (BELIEVE me! this alone is a dealbreaker...touch keyboard as good as it looks...once you use it then only you come to know about the importance of having a hard keypad)

No 3G network yet in India..so why pay for expensive 3G phone if you cant use its 3G services ... so, for India, iPhone 2.0 is no better than its first version

No removable battery. (You cannot change battery. Have to send it to apple outlet.. Come on now!!!!...This is not an iPod. Its a bloody phone. You cannot live without phone for 2-3 days)

No haptic feedback and

cannot send MMS,

can't use as external storage device (16 GB of utter waste..next time you go to your friend's house & find some interesting songs, movies, etc...sorry you cannot connect your '16 GB' phone and share it!!!! Apple apparently has a solution.. " BUY MUSIC & MOVIES FROM iTUNES STORE "..... Give me a break will you APPLE!!!)

no FM radio,

can't use your mp3 files as ringtones,(This is heights man!!!)

cannot insert any other SIM card….

completely tied to iTunes... Connect to your friend's iTunes & you risk erasing everything on your phone.

list goes on & on & on….

We Indians are used to these features. Most of our phones already have these features. & we cannot do with out them.... i mean can you imagine paying so much for a phone with which you cannot transfer files via bluetooth. what age is this ...STONE AGE???

Some features may be activated by jailbreak.. But why the hell should you risk losing your warranty after paying so much.

And want to add third party softwares??.. YOU HAVE TO BUY THEM FROM iTUNES STORE ONLY!!! . (Shell out more money). Apple is a bloody control freak. Dont surrender your freedom to it.

Its good for american market (who have no idea what mobile freedom/choice is) which is in stone age compared to asian/european markets. When they want to buy a phone, they have to go to network operators and buy only those phones that are available on that network. & stick to that company till their contract expires. You want to change carriers? Not before paying damages, & buying another phone on the other network again.

On the contrary, we in India have so much freedom. We go to handset shops & buy which ever phone we like. Then go to carriers.. checkout the plans & buy SIM. Dont like the plan or rival carrier came up with a better plan???? EASY . just remove & replace the SIM.

Apple are trying to IMPOSE THEIR MODEL ON US riding on the hype iPhone has created in the US (yes it was a flop in Europe .thats why Apple never talks about its sales in Europe).

Dont fall for the subsidized price of iPhone... CHECKOUT THE DATA PLAN ATTACHED TO ITS SIM ..they will recover the cost through ridiculous data plans. Bill might come to around Rs 2500/month.(ATLEAST AMERICANS PAY THAT MUCH)

Let me clear one thing though.. iphone is the best looking phone (its touch interface is nothing like you have ever seen ), & best browsing experience out there no doubt .... (& others are fast catching up..check out the android demo at Google IO 2008).... BUT AFTER A FEW DAYS IT ALL COMES DOWN TO FUNCTIONALITY...

Those of who buy it... You will be most happy for atmost a week... & then, MARK MY WORDS...YOU WILL START REGRETTING IT!!!
As I am now a days ...

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Well, you certainly make it sound like you're quite the fashion conscious dumb ass for buying the iPhone then since it's so "awful".

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Indian or not some of these features are used by all walks of life. I want copy/paste, I am not alone. I want to send MMS, I am not alone. I want to share files via BT with my computer, I am not alone.

That said, you bought a phone that doesn't have these features. Was it a surprise? If so, you just paid for an item that you didn't do any research on.

I am so confused when people bitch and complain about the ****ing iPhone not having certain features after they buy one. They're disappointed with their purchase and for what? Do people think that the missing features that they're so used to having will magically appear? Do they have magic hands that somehow fix every known issue? NO! Fact is the features aren't missing, they just aren't there. The phone was NEVER sold as an MMS, Video Conferencing, File Sending over BT, AD2P BT, Flash Capable, Java Enabled phone. To the extent a buyer can prove that these features were published in regards to the iPhone, you, as a buyer, got what you paid for.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
You forgot:

Will not walk your dog

Is not a particle accelerator

Can't change planetary alignment

Missing basic settings like "Stun" and "Kill"

No anti-gravity option

Can't be used for Scuba diving

Lacks artificial intelligence

Not large enough to be used as a back scratcher

Does not come in "Mauve"

Is not Lime flavored

"Home" button is boring and round

Mind control function is very basic

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
That said, you bought a phone that doesn't have these features. Was it a surprise? If so, you just paid for an item that you didn't do any research on.

I am so confused when people bitch and complain about the ****ing iPhone not having certain features after they buy one. They're disappointed with their purchase and for what? Do people think that the missing features that they're so used to having will magically appear? Do they have magic hands that somehow fix every known issue? NO! Fact is the features aren't missing, they just aren't there. The phone was NEVER sold as an MMS, Video Conferencing, File Sending over BT, AD2P BT, Flash Capable, Java Enabled phone. To the extent a buyer can prove that these features were published in regards to the iPhone, you, as a buyer, got what you paid for.

Agreed. All of the OP's complaints with the iPhone were/are well known. Sounds like he didn't do any research and just bought it because of the hype.

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
You may be used to wireless freedom. However, you are clearly not used to actually paying attention to the features that are and are not included with the products you purchase. I guess ignorance is bliss......

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
......youve spent 10 days trying to jailbreak the phone?

if im not mistaken there are more than a few one clickers out there.....

or are u talking about unlocking the phone?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
from last 10 days , day and night I am trying to jailbreak my iphone

Heh. Jailbreaking takes all of about an hour. Any chance the rest of your post is as overly dramatic as your jailbreak comment?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
You forgot:
Will not walk your dog
Is not a particle accelerator
Can't change planetary alignment
Missing basic settings like "Stun" and "Kill"
No anti-gravity option
Can't be used for Scuba diving
Lacks artificial intelligence
Not large enough to be used as a back scratcher
Does not come in "Mauve"
Is not Lime flavored
"Home" button is boring and round

Sounds like CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT material to me! The nerve of Apple to deceive us this way!!!!@!!!!!!!!!!111!!11!1one!oneelevenfortytwo. :D

markgamber

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2005
Redneck, PA
Ya'll done whining and crying as if you're bestest buddiest pals with old Stevie boy himself and your whole retirement is based solely on Apple stock? No wonder some people hate Apple.

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
......youve spent 10 days trying to jailbreak the phone?

if im not mistaken there are more than a few one clickers out there.....

or are u talking about unlocking the phone?

I think you have nailed it. The OP has probably spent 10 days trying to unlock their iPhone 3G that is not able to be software unlocked. If true, this would also reinforce the point about the OP's inability to do their due diligence about the iPhone. But given the OP's post, would that really surprise anyone?

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
wait..so you thought the iphone would have a physical keyboard? have you even seen an iphone before you decided to buy one?

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe

Really? Damn snap, now you go telling me, after I bought it in hopes of taking over the world. You really could have sent me a PM telling me that before I went out and bought it. :rolleyes: *Throws iPhone against a wall*
=)

On the contrary, we in India have so much freedom. We go to handset shops & buy which ever phone we like.

The country might be a slightly better wreck human / women's rights wise, but hey, at least you get free-non-apple-non-american-ideology-handsets. Yay.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Again, all of these "missing features" have been well-documented and you should have considered them before purchasing the device for Rs. 36,000+. From what I gather while spending time with my relatives in India, a cell phone is often a status symbol, especially at that price...if you bought the phone because it was as expensive as other full-featured devices, then you shouldn't complain. The iPhone has challenged the market and personally, though the iPhone has fewer features, a number of features it has it does well (well, once the 2.0+ bugs are ironed out). I've been an iPhone owner since Day 1 of the 2G, and it supersedes any of the devices I have owned before (including a WinMo device I, ironically enough, bought in India unlocked...I was a seasoned PocketPC vet, but Windows Mobile Pro is NOT suitable for a cell phone device). Just saying. Enjoy your shiny Rs. 36,000 status symbol.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
No video calling: So?

no AD2P on the Bluetooth: Yeah, this sucks

CAN'T share ANY (mp3, images,videos....) files via bluetooth: Yeah, this sucks

can't use as a wireless modem: Should have bought netshare, or jailbreak.

no copy and paste: Its coming, this is the biggest problem with the iPhone right now

no 3.2 or 5 megapixel camera: The iPhone camera is actually really good. I have gotten some pretty amazing pictures out of it.

no video recording with camera: Jailbreak

no front camera: So?

no flash: Good, I dont ads on my iPhone.

no JAVA support: Why would we want Java when we have the appstore and Cydia?

No physical keyboard: I like the touch screen more then any keyboard I have used on a phone.

No 3G network yet in India: No 3g where I live either, so how is that the phones fault?

No removable battery: So if it had a removable battery you would just buy a few extras to have around? My iPhone lasts days and I have never had a phone with better battery life, even after one year.

No haptic feedback: So?

cannot send MMS: Good, we have email. Why pay outrageous mms fees when we can do the same thing for free?

can't use as external storage device: Jailbreak and you can use SSH to wirelessly transfer files to the device.

no FM radio: Why not use your data plan?

can't use your mp3 files as ringtones: Is it really that hard to rename a file .m4r in iTunes?

cannot insert any other SIM card: I am sure it will be hacked soon.

completely tied to iTunes... Connect to your friend's iTunes & you risk erasing everything on your phone: Sounds like you dont know what you are doing.

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
Wow. I am speechless.

I'm starting to love this forum. One part because some of its members' cynicism, and the other because of some of its members' noobness.

Definitely refreshing vs. the other Apple sites/forums. All very comradely, fluffy, and completely up Steve Jobs' *ss. Makes me sick.

I know this has nothing to do with OP's post, but really, who read and/or cared? Sorry. ;)

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Ok, I'm going to go eat a cheeseburger. Yum, Cow.

Quite the adequate response. Bravo.

So the OP spent 10 days trying to unlock/jailbreak a phone that "isn't worth it?"

Man those grapes get sour fast, huh?

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
ihasnee, did you do any research at all before purchasing your phone? These were known "problems" (if you would even call them problems) that you could have found out before purchasing, the fault is completely on you in this case.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Indian or not some of these features are used by all walks of life. I want copy/paste, I am not alone. I want to send MMS, I am not alone. I want to share files via BT with my computer, I am not alone.

I'd have to agree with you.

For me, though, it was a little different. Before buying the phone I was thinking "Why would I need copy/paste on my phone? Or MMS?". Now that I've been using the phone, yeah, copy paste would be nice, but I'm not making a big deal about it. Same with MMS.

To the OP please stop bashing the US and promoting your own country. Go to a politics forum or something if you want to do that. Nobody forced you to buy the iPhone. You should have done more research first before paying. Sorry.

And just because you don't like your iPhone, doesn't mean others don't either. The iPhone is doing very well for itself and it's a good thing Apple did not listen to your advice when making it.

AppleWoW

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2007
SLC, Utah
I love how some idiots get onto macrumors and post these BS things...I wonder if he's sitting in his house (alone) reading this while cursing his iPhone.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
Maybe...some people shouldn't buy the iphone. This is what the google phone is all about...maybe you'll enjoy it instead. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.