Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulct

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
who will be the first to swap the current hd with the new toshiba 240?

ACAx1985

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
Tell me how and how much, and I'd do it. 160 can't hold me, I was hopin for a bigger one this 9/9 :(

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Not a bad idea.
That might not work though, doesn't the original hard drive hold all the firmware information.
If you switched the drive you would lose of all that.
Even if it does work I'm scared I'll mess it up some how.

DR GB

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Toronto
240 GB or bust

My 160 GB ipod has been full for months. I have been waiting anxiously for this new release.
A 120 GB ipod. Useless to me.
What a disappointment !
The Toshiba website makes it clear a superior 240 GB hard drive is available.
Faster and more energy efficient than the 160.
Steve, why are you letting us down?
More is always better.
More songs, better quality songs,more movies, etc.
If Zune comes out with a 240 GB, I will have to convert

DR GB

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Toronto
240gb ipod

I would buy a 240 gb ipod today if it was available.
My 160 is full. I have been unchecking songs for months.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I think the reason why Apple didn't launch the "6.5G" classic with the 240 GB HD was that Apple couldn't get assurances for a steady supply of the drive, unlike the single platter 120 GB drive, which is now widely available. Don't be surprised that we may see Apple roll out the 240 GB iPod classic at Macworld Expo SF in January 2009, when supplies of the 240 GB HD are more reliable. :)

slimeric

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
it occurs to me you should be able to clone the old drive, to the new one using superduper, no?
that should get around any problems with the firmware etc

only thing that may be a problem is how involved will swapping it be....
i.e. am i just going to screw up my 160 classic, then not be able to replace it :confused:

paulct

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Just called small dog today (VT's only apple outlet) and they have over 100 160's and they lowered the price to 275 for brand new!

DR GB

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Toronto
240gb ipod good, terabyte better

You people who do not believe a larger hard drive is an advantage; think again.
Not only can you put everything your heart desires on your pod, but you can dramatically increase the quality of your recording.
Using the AIFF encoding or wave will provide far better sound for the listener.
Unfortunately the space required to store these files is immense. 10X more.
Even increasing the setting on AAC to 256 kbps will double the size of the file.
To hold what I currently have on my 160 gb ipod in the file type I prefer would take a 1.5 terabyte ipod.
You can't be too rich, too good looking, or have too much hard drive!
Send the word around.
AN IPOD CANNOT BE TOO BIG!
WE NEED A 240 gb ipod.

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
what are you guys doing with your ipods that you need your entire libraries with you? can't you just have the library on your laptop/desktop and then carry a portion of it with you?

paulct

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
what are you guys doing with your ipods that you need your entire libraries with you? can't you just have the library on your laptop/desktop and then carry a portion of it with you?

thats what the iphone is for

If im paying any money for an mp3 player, i want it to be able to play all my songs

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here, but I use my iPod as a backup device and a file transfer tool. And whenever my friends want to have a movie night, I put my movies on the iPod and transfer them over to my PS3.

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here, but I use my iPod as a backup device and a file transfer tool. And whenever my friends want to have a movie night, I put my movies on the iPod and transfer them over to my PS3.

that's makes a lot of sense. a very good reason to have a 2400gb ipod

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I have a 30GB iPod, and my music library is growing over 60GB's these days, and I have well over 100GB's worth of TV Shows and 200GB's worth of Movies.

While I'm not aiming to carry all my TV Shows and Movies around with me, I absolutely hate having to filter though what I probably won't want. It is just easier to have it all.

Come 2010, I'm sure this won't be an issue anymore.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
It'll probably come as a silent addition ($349) to the 120 GB iPod classic, just like how the iPod touch got a 32 GB option earlier this year.

You people who do not believe a larger hard drive is an advantage; think again.
Not only can you put everything your heart desires on your pod, but you can dramatically increase the quality of your recording.
Using the AIFF encoding or wave will provide far better sound for the listener.
Unfortunately the space required to store these files is immense. 10X more.
Even increasing the setting on ACC to 256 kbps will double the size of the file.
I don't need a large iPod since 64~128 kbps is enough for me.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I don't need a large iPod since 64~128 kbps is enough for me.

You are happy with listening to a 64 kbps audio track?! :eek:

I can only imagine the dissatisfaction when you are at a party with your iPod, and you want to play a song off it through the big speakers.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Not a bad idea.
That might not work though, doesn't the original hard drive hold all the firmware information.
If you switched the drive you would lose of all that.
Even if it does work I'm scared I'll mess it up some how.

I don't know about the classic, but I remember disassembling my ipod mini quite a few times and I then upgraded my 4GB CF drive with an 8GB one and it wasn't a problem. The firmware was transferred onto the new CF card by restoring the ipod in itunes. I wouldn't be surprised if it's also possible with the classic...

Fabian

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
You are happy with listening to a 64 kbps audio track?! :eek:
Depends on the audio file. Some of them I'm fine with 64 kbps, others I need at least 96 kbps.

We have an electronic dictionary that plays MP3s, but its capacity is 50 MB or so. One day I wanted to put MP3s in there. So I had to convert audio files to 8/16/24 (or so) kbps for them to fit with good free space remaining. :p

Let's just say most didn't sound very good, even out of the small mono speaker.

DR GB

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Toronto
The magic

For me, the magic of an ipod is to carry every possible song you could ever want to hear in your pocket.
Music is about how you feel. There is a song for every feeling and situation.
Be satisfied with a nano if you want to keep going back to your library.
Convenience is King. 240 gb or bigger.
It is all about cutting out steps and making your life easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.