Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SBG88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
I've had the opportunity to try 4 different mapping software programs. Delorme 2004+, MS streets + trips, Rand Mc and Route 66. I have several customers I frequent that have very difficult directions, I used those for testing purposes.

First, the easiest to use was MSoft. Not only was it simple out of the box, it was very functional and gave the best (useable) directions. Simple to search and worked adequately with gps.

Rte 66 was right there with MS, but, did not give the detailed directions (street names and interstate #'s and turns) in par with ms.

Rand McNally sucked and I didn't even feel it was worth my time to mess with.

Of all the hype of mapping software I was really looking forward to using Delorme 2004+. Well, it was unusable. Telling me to make a left on an interstate when it was obviously right. It had roads in the directions that hadn't existed in years and incorporated them into the directions anyway. Very confusing. By far the worst directions. So bad I'm still irritated about it. The only feature that was cool was the audible directions, but who needs them when it tells you to turn into 70mph traffic.

By fate I was in Bass Pro shop and stumbled into the marine section. There I found the Garmin Mapsource Metroguide USA. This software nailed the directions to a T. I know every shortcut for these routes and this software nailed it. Perfect. 99 bucks and worth it compared to the price tag of the rest. Delorme was 99 also. It is not flashy, works well with gps with their update, and very detailed. Not only that, I have it installed on my G3 800 iBook and works well with vpc. I'm very pleased. If you are looking for great no frills mapping software check it out. It also works well with the etrex gps.

krimson

macrumors 65816
the new Delorme BLOWS, we've downgraded back to Street Atlas uSA 9 (again).

the problem with alot of these software pacakages is that they use the same exact data source. Other than co's like Navtech who have drivers going around getting real address (instead of interpolation), and where one way streets really are, they're good for brief reference, but never trust a street mapping program to give you the exact and prope directions, unless you're in a major metro area. New subdivisions.. forget it, they can take upto 2 years to make it into the database.

Alex Bischoff

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2003
Dallas, TX
SBG88 said:
By fate I was in Bass Pro shop and stumbled into the marine section. There I found the Garmin Mapsource Metroguide USA. This software nailed the directions to a T. I know every shortcut for these routes and this software nailed it. Perfect. 99 bucks and worth it compared to the price tag of the rest. Delorme was 99 also. It is not flashy, works well with gps with their update, and very detailed. Not only that, I have it installed on my G3 800 iBook and works well with vpc. I'm very pleased. If you are looking for great no frills mapping software check it out. It also works well with the etrex gps.

Out of curiosity, what GPS hardware do you use w/ your iBook? I'm shopping around for GPS myself and it sounds like Metroguide + GPS would be a good combination.

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
TopoUSA 5.0

Thanks for the info on Street Atlas--to me each edition has seemed worse.
Still waiting for VPC 7, solely to run deLorme mapping--hope it's faster.

Has anyone tried deLorme Topo USA 5? I use the topo maps more than Street Atlas, and it looks as if they have incorporated more street information into the topo program. The ads are so attractive but at last I've learned not to bite right away!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.