Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jobsfnby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I jailbreaked my iphone EDGE last night on 2.1. After i tried to use the phone app this morning it only showed the keypad for about 3 seconds but then crashed. Everytime i try to use it, it crashes on me and doesn't load.
When someone calls me i can accept it and it works fine but doesn't give me the black screen with the red button on the bottom. It only gives me the green bar at the top of the home screen. It will still call numbers if i tap on them in another app.(if that helps)

I can't access my contacts, favorites, recents, and voicemail.

ilfn143

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Enron by the Sea
i had this same problem, i restored and do everything again now it's working fine. i have no idea what's going on. try the phone function right after JB see if it working first before loading apps. and then install app one by one, check phone function after each install. that's all i did.

i love my jb phone especially backgrounder, cycorder, PdaNet. good luck

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
That does sound strange. I too would try a restore and then re-jailbreak. Did it work ok before you went to bed last night?

ilfn143

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Enron by the Sea
for my case i didn't even check the phone function until i try to make a call the next day. don't know if it work right after jb or some theme from winterboard that i install. but phone close and goes right back to home screen. i was able to make a call by click on the phone # from contact app but there's no way to end the call i have to turn off the iphone.

ituner99

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2008
Saved my sanity

go to Installer and uninstall Kate..that is very VERY buggy software.

Thanks for the uninstalling Kate hint. I just jailbroke my Edge iPhone 2.1 on Monday and today the phone was crashing as previously described. After uninstalling Kate I'm now a very happy camper!!! Cheers Mate!

RoadCyclistID

Contributor
Oct 18, 2007
Idaho
I thank you as well, just took the plunge to JB the phone and was wondering what the heck was going on with the phone. No Kate all it good!

QUiKSR20

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
Neptune, NJ
I had the exact same problem!!!!

I jailbreaked and everything was working. 2 days later the keypad / dialer lost all the words and I couldnt dial.

I am gonna re-jailbreak tonight and unistall that kate prog and and see how it goes!

Thanks

jobsfnby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I had the exact same problem!!!!

I jailbreaked and everything was working. 2 days later the keypad / dialer lost all the words and I couldnt dial.

I am gonna re-jailbreak tonight and unistall that kate prog and and see how it goes!

Thanks

If you haven't re-jailbreaked yet you should just be able to go into insaller and uninstall Kate. That's what i did and that seemed to work fine.

jbm9290

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2008
Okay so I have the iPhone 2G and i have no idea what to do right now.

So first I jailbroke it with the original version i had, and then I updated the iphone to 2.1, and now when i try to jailbreak it again with quickpwn...it says iHaz Success! but my phone is not unlocked--i only get the screen that tells me to plug my iphone into itunes!!

what do i do??? somebody please help!!

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
Okay so I have the iPhone 2G and i have no idea what to do right now.

So first I jailbroke it with the original version i had, and then I updated the iphone to 2.1, and now when i try to jailbreak it again with quickpwn...it says iHaz Success! but my phone is not unlocked--i only get the screen that tells me to plug my iphone into itunes!!

what do i do??? somebody please help!!

Jailbroken does not equal unlocked.

To unlock, you have to check the "Unlock" box.

I think that may not be an option on the Windows version. Try PwnageTool.

jobsfnby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
jbm9290,

Did you backup and restore you phone before you updated? I know that if you just click update in itunes when you have a jailbroken phone, something goes wrong. Im not sure what to do but i think that was your problem. You might look into sleepers.net

hope this helps

tylertech

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
NC
Yeah I don't think you're supposed to update a jailbroken phone, it does things like un-jailbreak it and stuff. Try holding down the menu and home button. I think that's what I did when mine did that. I was able to connect it to iTunes, restore it, and re-jailbreak it.

jbm9290

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2008
ok so yea i did update it while it was jailbroken...and didnt restore it first :/

so i tried restoring it just recently, then jailbreaking (and unlocking) it with a newer version and no luck

jobsfnby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
jbm9290

Try putting it in DFU mode:

1. hold down the home and power button until the screen goes blank...let go before the apple logo comes back on.

2. go to your computer and make sure itunes is closed
3. plug the iphone in while holding the home button, then open itunes while it's plugged in.
4. itunes should say 'itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode' or something like that
5. click restore and let itunes restore your phone.

6. once its restored and it asks if you want to restore this phone or set up as a new phone....close itunes without selecting either one
7. once you closed itunes after the restore you need to jailbreak at this time using quickpwn or whatever you choose-do everything you want to do with jailbreaking...i think you should do unlocking now too but im not sure on this as i didn't unlock.
8. once it's jailbroken you can open itunes and restore or set up as a new phone
:)

mlandinez

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2008
Kate will bug your phone

So I JB my 3g Iphone, didn't even realize that my Phone APP was not working, I just unistall Kate from the installer and my phone works perfectlly thanks for the support.
Kate sucks!

jbm9290

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2008
YESS!!! so it finally all worked out...

for those of you who want to know...i restored my iphone, then ran pwnagetool instead of quickpwn which worked much better, and plus i was able to customize it and allow it to unlock my iphone...thanks to everyone for your help :D

jsb10

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
Try this

I luckily never dl KATE. For anyone still having the same problem, simply try resetting your phone (holding down home and power button). Worked for me

catsmeow3824

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
phone icon crashs

wow nevermind i feel like a tard i just restarted and works fine LOL errr errr errr thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.