Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bret

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
So my HDD (along with almost every other component) in my Macbook Pro has gone bad. I am pretty sure this thing is over heating itself to death. This was probably one of the first MBP ever made, I ordered it as soon as they went on sale, so it is about 2.5 years old. I didnt get the applecare at the time of purchase, because I usually get it the next year before it expires. I guess I misjudged when the applecare was going to expire and ended up calling about 2 or 3 weeks after it had expired. Apple basically told me "your loss, should have purchased it as the time of sale... thats why are reps encourage you to buy it at the time of sale."

So anyway, I have no applecare on this product (first time in about 8 or 9 laptops / desktops), which lead me to think maybe I could get seagate to replace the drive (since they have a 5 year warranty on the drive). No such luck, apple was one step ahead of me on this, apparently they have a contract with seagate that does not allow them to warranty the drives purchased by apple (dell and a few other companies do this as well). So while the drive is technically still under the manufacturers warranty, I am not allowed to deal with seagate directly.

So do I try to reason with apple to get the drive replaced for free? Or just bite the bullet and replace it on my own?

For what it is worth, here is a list of components that are bad in this mbp.

DVD-RW - Doesnt burn discs, reads some discs
LCD (harness short circuit / burnout?)
HDD mechanical failure
Battery (3rd time it needs to be replaced, its bursting from the inside)

The first and second batteries actually showed signs of melting...

The 3rd battery "exploded" sometime over the past 3 months that the book was sitting in the corner of my office. I"ll post a picture of the battery, its kind of scary looking.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Apple doesn't seem to care about my long history of loyalty and purchasing applecare (that i rarely ever used).

I have already started to move to other brands... I purchased a dell mini in lieu of a macbook air for my couch surfing... I couldnt justify the cost considering how poorly apple treated me regarding this matter.

I guess the reason I am upset about this whole thing is I attempted to purchase the applecare (a little late i know, but there was nothing wrong with the laptop at the time), my long history of purchasing 3k+ machines and the fact that everything on this machine seems to be failing due to it overheating and not misuse / poor care.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If you would have looked at the Bad Seagate Momentus Rev 7.01 threads, I would have kept worrying especially if apple replace a bad series of drives with the same prone to failure unit.

bret

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Here are the pictures of the battery.

Attachments

• IMG00004.jpg
    IMG00004.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG00005.jpg
    IMG00005.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG00006.jpg
    IMG00006.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG00007.jpg
    IMG00007.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG00009.jpg
    IMG00009.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 74

bret

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
If you would have looked at the Bad Seagate Momentus Rev 7.01 threads, I would have kept worrying especially if apple replace a bad series of drives with the same prone to failure unit.

Not sure what you mean by this. Can you explain?

mlmorg

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
you could try calling seagate and see if that does anything...probably won't but it's worth a shot

in terms of the computer itself...probably not much you can do at this point...i dont think apple will be very forgiving considering it's 2.5 years old without applecare

the battery looks pretty bad...maybe you can get that replaced by apple after all those exploding battery issues...

bret

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
you could try calling seagate and see if that does anything...probably won't but it's worth a shot

in terms of the computer itself...probably not much you can do at this point...i dont think apple will be very forgiving considering it's 2.5 years old without applecare

the battery looks pretty bad...maybe you can get that replaced by apple after all those exploding battery issues...

I called seagate about an hour before I posted this, that is how I found out the drive is still under the manufacturers warranty, but they are not allowed to accept the drive through anyone but Apple.

What really upsets me is that Apple has the nerve to quote me on a repair price for a drive that they are going to send back to the manufacturer under warranty... and (over)charge me for the price of the drive and labor to install it, both of which I could easily handle on my own if they would let me.

As far as the drive and the battery both being known issues.. That really upsets me that Apple wont budge on anything but a full (and expensive) repair.

Either way, they have lost my business going forward, at least in the laptop sector. The fact that they are not willing to work with me on any of this (and ALL of it looks like failure due to poor manufacturing) really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Especially since I have, and had about 8 Applecare 3-year plans that I have not used (out side of bad power supply).

mlmorg

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
i don't know much about the hd and battery problems but if i were you i'd read up as much as i can about them -- see if apple has publicly acknowledged them and said they will repair -- and then just continue to argue over the phone, in the store, and maybe even email steve jobs ha.

sorry for all the problems, that must be pretty aggravating...i wouldn't give up if i were you though

bret

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
i don't know much about the hd and battery problems but if i were you i'd read up as much as i can about them -- see if apple has publicly acknowledged them and said they will repair -- and then just continue to argue over the phone, in the store, and maybe even email steve jobs ha.

sorry for all the problems, that must be pretty aggravating...i wouldn't give up if i were you though

I will try some other approaches and let you guys know what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.