Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

organicpixels

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Simi Valley, CA.
Ok, I'm currently in the process of doing a clean format and install on my Macbook Pro for the third time in a week after already having to do it on my PowerMac. I don't know what exactly is causing the issue but I'll try to be detailed so hopefully someone will know whats up.

I'm running Leopard 10.5.5 on both of my machines. I have 2 external raid drives that I connect to my PowerMac via FireWire 800 and they are "daisy chained" together using the additional FW800 port on the back of those drives. I need to be able to share files back and forth between the machines since I do a lot of creative work and can't host all the files on my laptop at one time. So I have sharing enabled on both machines. Shouldn't be a problem.

In order to grab files I will go to my PowerMac from my macbook, goto the external drive and pull over what I may need over to the laptop. When I do this it mounts the firewire drive to my Macbook pro. No problems. However, yesterday I needed to install an application which I downloaded directly over the internet to the Laptop. Here's were it gets ugly.

When I open the app the installer just hangs and the drive selection screen shows my main drive but it's greyed out. I wait for like 15 minutes and still no go. I assume the installer is frozen so I quit it. That's when all H3]] broke loose. Apps started crashing, files wouldn't transfer. and then I go to restart into an infinite white screen with the ugly grey apple. I hopelessly wait 30 minutes at that screen till I realize my MB is toast. I try to repair disk permissions using the disk utility from the recovery disk and get an error that is unrepairable (can't remember what it was) I slap in Disk Warrior and run it. It finds some stuff and I reboot to no avail.

I then boot into Target Disk mode. Ok. This is what was really strange. I click on my HD's info and when looked at the permissions, All of my users are gone except "everyone". And "everyone" is set to "No Access" So I add back my account and the system and admin accounts to the permissions with "Read & Write" privileges. Apply to all enclosing items. After 2 hours waiting for that to finish I reboot. And what do you know. My system comes back up. WT??? I connect my external raid directly to my MB pro and do a full time machine backup. And pull over some files just incase that doesn't work. Reinstall the OS after erasing the partition of the HD.

I then choose the option to restore from Time machine backup and crap, the home folder's permissions are set to everyone "read only" with nothing else.
I changed it to what would be the right settings and applied to enclosing items. However when I accessed it different apps that I installed had the beautiful blue folder with the ugly red no-entry sign telling me I didn't have access. So I give up.

Ok. So now I'm reformatting again. This is the 4th Time in a week I've had to do a complete system reinstall and the 3rd I've done it on the MBpro. Each time this whackness starts it's when I'm doing an app install while having a remote drive mounted. Not pulling files from that drive. It's just mounted. So what is going on. I have to be on 10.5.5 because my project files for my work are saved at the latest version and I have to have the latest updates to work. Is there something going on in the installer? Is it because I have a PPC and Intel? Is Apple repeating some of Microsoft's mistakes?? What gives. Anyways. Thanks for reading my rant/problem. Any help or thoughts of what's causing the issue and what to avoid would be very helpful.

~OP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.